Marco van Ginkel

Spike

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Lampard reveals Van Ginkel complications

http://www.football-oranje.com/lampard-reveals-van-ginkel-complications/

The 26-year-old last featured in a game back in May 2018 for PSV Eindhoven. Since then the midfielder has undergone surgery on a major knee issue.

Chelsea boss Frank Lampard has now revealed on the club’s website that van Ginkel has suffered complications during surgery and there is no return date for the Dutchman.

He said, “Marco is a long-term injury because he’s had some complications with knee surgery. I feel for him because it’s not a nice place to be as a player when you have repetitive long spells out injured.

“His demeanour is as good as it can be, he’s at the training ground working every hour of the day and we’ll give him time to get on with his rehab.”

Van Ginkel’s contract with Chelsea expires in the summer.

• 1 month later...

Completely forgot he’s still with us. Seems like he will be off our books in the summer. He was quite promising when he joined us but his injury record contributed to the fact he didn’t manage to settle anywhere he played over the years.

3 hours ago, Kajo said:

Completely forgot he’s still with us. Seems like he will be off our books in the summer. He was quite promising when he joined us but his injury record contributed to the fact he didn’t manage to settle anywhere he played over the years.

He was completely settled at PSV, he was their captain, led them to the title, played magnificently,  they were going to buy him, then he destroyed his knee.

• 1 month later...

Dutch midfielder not ruling out Chelsea stay despite 2 Premier League appearances in 6 years

Marco Van Ginkel has endured a hugely frustrating six-year spell at Stamford Bridge.

https://www.the42.ie/dutch-midfielder-not-ruling-out-chelsea-stay-despite-2-premier-league-appearances-in-6-years-4936496-Dec2019/

MARCO VAN GINKEL has admitted to having “gone through dark times” at Chelsea, but insists he is “not a quitter” and that he could end up staying at the club beyond the end of his current contract.

The 27-year-old midfielder moved to Stamford Bridge from Vitesse back in 2013, signing a five-year contract with the Blues after emerging as one of the most promising young players in the Netherlands.

Unfortunately, the Dutchman has since been unable to establish himself in Chelsea’s first team, with a series of serious injuries cutting short his progress.

Van Ginkel was sent out on loan to AC Milan, Stoke and PSV so that he could get some regular minutes under his belt, with his best performances coming while at the Philips Stadion in Eindhoven.

He helped PSV win the 2017-18 Eredivisie title, but was forced to undergo surgery that summer after suffering anterior cruciate ligament damage.

Van Ginkel spent 18 months on the sidelines before returning to first-team training in November, with it now his main ambition to get back to full fitness as quickly as possible as his injury nightmare draws to a close.

While opening up on his recovery, Van Ginkel credited his current club for their support behind the scenes, after offering an insight into the mental strength he has had to develop to get through a hugely frustrating period.

You get dispirited when you hear everything has to be done again,” he told NOS. “I needed a new surgery, but didn’t know when. My knee needed flushing out to get rid of that infection, so I had three surgeries in six days.

“That was quite an event, but infections like that could end your career. I wasn’t thinking about that, though. The flushing out helped me a lot, but I had to wait four to five months before I could get going again. That was a long time. I have gone through dark times.

“I usually am a very positive minded person. The people around me always supported me, as does Chelsea. I won’t give up easy, because I’m not a quitter. Of course, I had some very bad days, though.”

The former Vitesse starlet has only four senior appearances for Chelsea to his name to date, with his existing contract at the Bridge set to expire at the end of the season.

snip

Feel sorry for the guy.

Had huge potential IMO, very rounded and I think even under Mourinho at first he could have maybe made his way in a bit more than many expected because he had that physical profile as well as technical. Maybe not for definites but I do feel he would have been solid enough to do a good job in a Mourinho team.

His loan at PSV he looked very comfortable and a real driving force for them but its probably too late for him now although who knows, if he was fit to train, maybe hed be an option? I dont think he would be any worse than Bakayoko, Barkley or Drinkwater in all honesty.

I think if he was 100% fit and had his injury troubles behind him, Frank would let him get a chance for sure to show what he could do although I doubt he would be displacing Kante, Kova or Jorginho regularly. As a squad player though? Someone who can play as a 6, 8 or even further up? Wouldnt be the worst option. 

A shame though, I know pre seasons nothing but getting match fitness and trying things out but I really liked the look of him when he signed if I am honest. Looked like he could have been like a Michael Ballack sort of guy, someone who could do everything. Maybe not to that level, maybe nowhere near because he was outstanding but definitely end up as a capable enough player.

Maybe if he gets fit a fresh start at another club would do him the world of good too. 

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

27-year-old Chelsea outcast set for Stamford Bridge exit despite signing new contract

https://astamfordbridgetoofar.com/2020/07/01/27-year-old-chelsea-outcast-set-for-stamford-bridge-exit-despite-signing-new-contract/

van Ginkel

Marco van Ginkel expected to be loaned out next season

It is easy to forget that Dutch midfielder Marco van Ginkel is still a Chelsea player.

The 27-year-old has featured just four times for the club since joining in 2013. Nicknamed the next Frank Lampard, the youngster arrived at Stamford Bridge as the reigning Dutch Talent of the Year.

Much was expected of the player when he made his move to Stamford Bridge. Injuries have a funny way of ruining what could have been a special career.

Out injured for two years now, the Dutchman’s contract was supposed to expire this summer. Chelsea have, however, offered him a new lease of life and extended his stay by another year.

snip

• 3 months later...