André Schürrle

BlueLion.

Schürrle balances better with Hazard than Willian does, cos he is more direct and always opts for the most simple option, unlike Willian. who often squaders opportunities due to dwelling too long on the ball.

Schürrle balances better with Hazard than Willian does, cos he is more direct and always opts for the most simple option, unlike Willian. who often squaders opportunities due to dwelling too long on the ball.

Think the trio of Hazard-Oscar-Schurrle works better than Hazard-Oscar-Willian. Not saying this because Willian hasn't done anything productive in the attacking third in recent times but it offers us something different, a variety of threat if we go with the former rather than the latter trio. Schurrle is a direct player, one that is mainly about movement and is always looking to get in behind oppositions' defence and these attributes complement the likes of Hazard, Oscar who likes to get on the ball - a ball hogger if you like - and create things from there. They create chances, Schurrle finishes them. That way, we won't have to just rely on our STs to score given they blow hot and cold generally. When we go with the Hazard-Oscar-Willian trio, we don't really often get enough penetration. All 3 like to get on the ball and doesn't offer that direct, penetrative runs, option like Schurrle does.

The thing now is that we now have a balance and depth to reach for between players like him and Willian. Willian being red carded last week maybe some what of a blessing.

Schurlle can really kick on now.

Starting to look like a bit of a player now, isn't he? Inconsistency is his biggest issue, but as Mourinho has said, he was always going to need a lot of time to adjust to the demands the manager is making of him. Well done Andre, well done.

Tactical explanation of Schurrle's role on Saturday...

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/tacticsandanalysis/id/2767?cc=4716

Three goals ahead after 17 minutes, Chelsea made a swift start against Arsenal. Fittingly, perhaps their fastest player was pivotal. Andre Schuerrle is the most direct of Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho's many wingers and he set up their opening goal and scored the second, leading the manager to say the game was over after 10 minutes. Schuerrle also played a part as Oscar made it 4-0 before halftime. Pace was crucial, particularly Chelsea’s pace on the break and the speed of the transition when they won the ball back.

Part of Mourinho's game plan was to get his wingers behind the Arsenal full-backs before they had time to recover after their side was dispossessed. The opening two goals were cases in point: Schuerrle intercepted Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain's pass and sprinted away to set up Samuel Eto'o for the opener while Kieran Gibbs, the left-back, was caught upfield.

Then Nemanja Matic won the ball and fed Schuerrle, again in behind Gibbs, for the second. The German's first-half touch map is revealing about his role: He was not on the ball in the wide areas parallel to the penalty box. Instead, he came infield, looking to find the space outside Arsenal’s left-sided centre-back, Laurent Koscielny. Indeed, for the opener, he led the counter-attack centrally.

andreschuerrlefirst-halftouchmapchelseav

As Chelsea were playing against 10 men for 75 minutes, the contest became very different. So did Schuerrle's personal battles. While he spent some of the second half on Chelsea's left, he faced three Arsenal left-backs: Gibbs, who started and was wrongly sent off, then substitute Thomas Vermaelen and then Bacary Sagna, who was switched from the right. Perhaps part of Arsene Wenger's thinking was to put a quick player against Schuerrle for the second half.

I think he doesn't balance Hazard better than Willian, I think he makes up for Oscar's shy contribution in the third final. That's the main difference. Oscar is a different kind of player, the way he touches the ball, the plays he goes to, the chances he creates, they're different from what you usually see in a number 10. I think Oscar holds himself in the pitch in a different way and while Willian doesn't exactly do the same, at the end of the day his contributions are sort of the same range. With Schurrle we get something else and he's finally getting there.

When I watch the guy playing for Germany he really makes me smile. He just needs time, confidence and strength to get used to the English football. I've been a defender from him since the signing. He's had a dip of form, but who didn't? This is his first season and while Bundesliga may be the most similar to EPL in some aspects, it's still far from being sort of the same. There's no what place that plays like England as far as I know, and he's still so young, so oscillation was to be expected.

Still he's delivering everything I expect from him and next season maybe the fight for the RW will be between him and Salah. Let's see who does better first. But I see plenty of rotation in the first few months just like we had this season (except I think the rotation will be from August to October. We rotated til December this season simply because Mourinho had a hard time finding a reliable team. Then he realized the team wasn't ready for his tactics, and that's when Willian became a starting XI player, to make up for what we couldn't be, no matter how much he tried. I think next season we won't have such a problem).