Juan Mata as a Striker?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You'll find in English that positions names are up for interpretation. You only need to talk to a different person to get a different opinion on what positions players actually play in.

Mata a striker for Spain

I guess it's down to personal interpretation/experiences. In most cases for me anyway, when discussing with a mate about football, mentioning the word "striker" will bring up names like RvP, Falcao, Cavani, Torres etc. and not Mata, Hazard or Pedro.

That is not true, Strike!

His first games for us where in that role alternating with Mata. He played deep and central ! I think Wigan and Reading for sure.

Alternating being the key word there. He has played at CAM at various stages of the game and has a tendency to drift central but never had a good run at CAM

Alternating being the key word there. He has played at CAM at various stages of the game and has a tendency to drift central but never had a good run at CAM

True! He should though ... Against Basel he showed for the first time what he can do in that role (he was a real CAM there).

The original poster can't be serious putting Mata in the top 5 players in the world? Are you serious? We're all die hard Chelsea fans here but most of us can admit hes not, or close for that matter. In fact, hes not even the best player on our team, Hazard is. He probably wasn't our 2nd best player this season either...

As to answer the question; exactly what everyone else has said. He lacks the qualities needed to be the striker. Not great at holding the ball, isn't physical and lacks pace just to name a few.

Quite the random statement there, mate....

I think the majority of this forum agrees Hazard is a great number 10 + agree on the number 9 statement.

So no, i dont get what you say.

How can people say he's a great 10 when he has played one game there? I don't watch Belgium, so I can't comment on his status there.

True! He should though ... Against Basel he showed for the first time what he can do in that role (he was a real CAM there).

The thing is Hazard is good even on the wing and Mata is not. For such a great player, Mata is a tactical liability

How can people say he's a great 10 when he has played one game there? I don't watch Belgium, so I can't comment on his status there.

He played for Lille as nb 10. He played for us in pre-season and at the begin of the regular season as nb 10. And against Basel. It's his best position btw

He has played three for sure. Also quite a couple where they (he and Mata) switched roles during Dimatteo's reign ...

He played for Lille as nb 10. He played for us in pre-season and at the begin of the regular season as nb 10. And against Basel. It's his best position btw

This. It is his best role. Also his preferred one.

Do you think Hazard magically popped up at Chelsea? He's played at a different team before us you know, winning consecutive player of the year awards etc :noexpression:

Do you think Hazard magically popped up at Chelsea? He's played at a different team before us you know, winning consecutive player of the year awards etc :noexpression:

That mental image made me laugh so hard:

Pop pop pop pop pop, wwwwwoooooooooops there he is!!

we cant really rate hazard at CAM. pre-season is not worth to talk about. in this season he mostly played on the wings. against basel he looked very goodn in the CAM.

back tot opic: no, why should anybody wanted mata to play as a striker? he aint no messi. he is too slow for this position and he would lose his strengths. he has not the pace to play in this role