Juan Mata as a Striker?

Is it just me or does anyone else think that Juan Mata could be played as a striker for us, similar to the way Barcelona play Messi? At the minute, he's in the top 5 players in the world for me, and he has showed time and time again that he can beat the offside trap, finish with excellent composure, But he could also drop deep and help out the attacking players behind him. Next season I'd like to see

Mata

Hazard - Oscar - Schurrle

Providing Schurrle signs. People might argue that Mata doesn't have enough physicality for that role, but he doesn't need it with the pair of feet he has.

Thoughts?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a chance. That completely takes away from what he's actually good at. Mata is a creator, he likes to create, granted he has a great finish on him but he wouldn't work as a striker at all simply because he isn't that good at holding up the ball and his runs from deep are far more effective, he can't be the focal point of attack (as in the most forward player as he needs to get involved in play) and physically he isn't up to it. Mata is a wonderful player but he isn't Messi, no one is.

No way. Mata is not a striker. He's a good finisher but his best attribute is being able to create chances and dangerous opportunities for others. Making him the target man would generally highlight his weaknesses (he's short, he's not physical, he's not as effective in traffic) and minimize his strengths (getting into space behind the striker, being able to roam the field, setting up others.). Plus, I don't see the point. We have Ba, Torres, and Lukaku and will likely buy a striker more fitting for the team. People need to stop using Barcelona as an example of what can be done with a team because they are the exception rather than the rule so emulating them will never work.

Guest FullEnglishBreakfast

Well Mata in my eyes already is a striker (somewhat). He is a Deep Lying Foward or Second Striker, much like Francesco Totti, Alessandro Del Piero, Raul Blanco, Dennis Bergkamp, Diego Maradona, et al. He plays his best football just behind a Centre Forward, preferably someone dynamic like Edinson Cavani, Didier Drogba, Wayne Rooney, Zlatan Ibrahimovic. Mata as a Centre Forward or a "False 9", wouldn't work in my mind. I just don't think he is mobile enough to do it. He'd do a job better than Cunt Fiberglass but he just doesn't have the exact skill set to do it. Besides The "False 9" system works better in a 4-3-3 not a 4-2-3-1.

Even if you disagree that Mata is not a striker, it's hard to argue that he isn't a forward...

have to say he is simply too slow as the chance against tottenham showed. But in truth i like it becouse it puts oscar as our # 10 and in truth he fits it the best.

P.S.( quote me) I will say it now OSCAR will go down as one of our greatest players when mata moves wide and out as the #10

have to say he is simply too slow as the chance against tottenham showed. But in truth i like it becouse it puts oscar as our # 10 and in truth he fits it the best.

P.S.( quote me) I will say it now OSCAR will go down as one of our greatest players when mata moves wide and out as the #10

I disagree ... Hazard will explode as a 10 - alternating that role with Mata. I don't know if Oscar will be able to push those two out of their roles tbh.

I disagree ... Hazard will explode as a 10 - alternating that role with Mata. I don't know if Oscar will be able to push those two out of their roles tbh.

Hazard is not a winger in my mind. He is very much like Mata, as in he is a Deep Lying Forward/Second Striker. However I believe that Eden has the tools required to be a "False 9". I don't want him to be a "False 9" because quite frankly I believe it's a stupid tactic/position but regardless he would be amazing at it. Eden has world class finishing, much better than Mata but the difference at the moment is that Mata's finishing is more consistent. It's a trade off for reliability and ability. Oscar on the other hand is a very different player with different assets. He is the proper definition of an "Attacking Midfielder", he is the mould of Zidane, Xavi (more or less), Iniesta, Steve McManaman and Pablo Aimar.

Well Mata in my eyes already is a striker (somewhat). He is a Deep Lying Foward or Second Striker, much like Francesco Totti, Alessandro Del Piero, Raul Blanco, Dennis Bergkamp, Diego Maradona, et al. He plays his best football just behind a Centre Forward, preferably someone dynamic like Edinson Cavani, Didier Drogba, Wayne Rooney, Zlatan Ibrahimovic. Mata as a Centre Forward or a "False 9", wouldn't work in my mind. I just don't think he is mobile enough to do it. He'd do a job better than Cunt Fiberglass but he just doesn't have the exact skill set to do it. Besides The "False 9" system works better in a 4-3-3 not a 4-2-3-1.

Even if you disagree that Mata is not a striker, it's hard to argue that he isn't a forward...

I agree, Mata is a striker. For some reason people here view him differently, but in Spain he is always

listed as either forward/striker and never midfield.

His first instinct is to shoot or look for his shot....

Hazard is not a winger in my mind. He is very much like Mata, as in he is a Deep Lying Forward/Second Striker. However I believe that Eden has the tools required to be a "False 9". I don't want him to be a "False 9" because quite frankly I believe it's a stupid tactic/position but regardless he would be amazing at it. Eden has world class finishing, much better than Mata but the difference at the moment is that Mata's finishing is more consistent. It's a trade off for reliability and ability. Oscar on the other hand is a very different player with different assets. He is the proper definition of an "Attacking Midfielder", he is the mould of Zidane, Xavi (more or less), Iniesta, Steve McManaman and Pablo Aimar.

Well, he is a winger but he is simply better at 10! He knows it, we know it, the belgian NT coach knows it ....

I think Oscar will have to drop in a deeper role if he wants to be in the central axis ...

Well, he is a winger but he is simply better at 10! He knows it, we know it, the belgian NT coach knows it ....

I think Oscar will have to drop in a deeper role if he wants to be in the central axis ...

Well he plays on the wings but he isn't a winger in my eyes...like Cristiano Ronaldo, he plays on the wings but he is just a Wide/Left Forward.

Mata is just like Gianfranco Zola and I wouldn't call him a midfielder....Mata is a Forward like Pedro is a Foward, Oscar is a Midfielder like Iniesta is a Midfielder...

If Mata had electric pace, then in theory, this could have worked but it does hinder his qualities more than elevate it. At CAM, he looks in front of him and picks out a chipped ball or a through ball. As an ST, he would be looking to make those runs to get on the end of the through balls.

Finally someone who understands.