Juan Mata as a Striker?

I disagree ... Hazard will explode as a 10 - alternating that role with Mata. I don't know if Oscar will be able to push those two out of their roles tbh.

He hasn't been used as a 10 at Chelsea. Played there for Belgium a lot I think

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest FullEnglishBreakfast

The general consensus is that a striker = a CF.

I disagree with that...People always considered Messi a Striker when he was played on the right hand side at Barcelona.

Finally someone who understands.

Quite the random statement there, mate....

I think the majority of this forum agrees Hazard is a great number 10 + agree on the number 9 statement.

So no, i dont get what you say.

Hazard could eventually be what cassano should of been for Italy.

Could have just used Baggio, Del Piero, and Totti as examples....

Pedro is a striker.

Ses is a striker.

Ronaldo is a striker.

You might be lost in translation but in english football culture, a striker = a CF.

Pedro is a forward.

Ses (no idea who that is) is a forward.

Ronaldo is a forward.

I'm very sure the author meant Mata as a number 9, as a CF, and not as a forward, as you can see by the formation he put up.

You might be lost in translation but in english football culture, a striker = a CF.

Pedro is a forward.

Ses(no idea who that is) is a forward.

Ronaldo is a forward.

I'm very sure the author meant Mata as a number 9, as a CF, and not as a forward, as you can see by the formation he put up.

No that is wrong. Striker = Forward in England. A CF is a Striker/Forward but a Striker/Forward does not need to be a CF.

I disagree with that...People always considered Messi a Striker when he was played on the right hand side at Barcelona.

People have only been calling Messi a striker in recent times in my books due to how he plays at Barcelona now (false 9). Regardless, I'm sure the OP meant it in that sense as you can see by the formation he put up (Mata as a 9/False 9).

No that is wrong. Striker = Forward in England. A CF is a Striker/Forward but a Striker/Forward does not need to be a CF.

I've never heard someone call Hazard or Mata a striker - in most cases they're either called forwards or attacking midfielders.

Ok

Striker: well a striker.

10: a playmaker that controls the flow of offensive play. Drifts between midfield and striker. Also called the trequartista.

8: i think more Oscars role. Deeper than Hazard or Mata. More a dee lying playmaker or a regista.

9: deep lying forward that drops down pulling defenders with him. It s very similar to a 10 but he pushes up primarily. So the movement is different.

Central forward as a denominator says nothing tactically like the former roles do, it reveals the place on the pitch.

I've never heard someone call Hazard or Mata a striker - in most cases they're either called forwards or attacking midfielders.

You'll find in English that positions names are up for interpretation. You only need to talk to a different person to get a different opinion on what positions players actually play in.

He hasn't been used as a 10 at Chelsea. Played there for Belgium a lot I think

That is not true, Strike!

His first games for us where in that role alternating with Mata. He played deep and central ! I think Wigan and Reading for sure.