Juan Mata as a Striker?

Is it just me or does anyone else think that Juan Mata could be played as a striker for us, similar to the way Barcelona play Messi? At the minute, he's in the top 5 players in the world for me, and he has showed time and time again that he can beat the offside trap, finish with excellent composure, But he could also drop deep and help out the attacking players behind him. Next season I'd like to see

Mata

Hazard - Oscar - Schurrle

Providing Schurrle signs. People might argue that Mata doesn't have enough physicality for that role, but he doesn't need it with the pair of feet he has.

Thoughts?

Comparing mata to messi is pointless, the only reason messi can be super effective in that position because he is a dribbler, a passer and a finisher in one player whereas mata is more of creator/passer. He is much better at no 10 where he can create and dictate the game for us

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The original poster can't be serious putting Mata in the top 5 players in the world? Are you serious? We're all die hard Chelsea fans here but most of us can admit hes not, or close for that matter. In fact, hes not even the best player on our team, Hazard is. He probably wasn't our 2nd best player this season either...

As to answer the question; exactly what everyone else has said. He lacks the qualities needed to be the striker. Not great at holding the ball, isn't physical and lacks pace just to name a few.

Saying that mata is not even our best player or probably wasn't our 2nd best is a crime

Hazard is a beast as a #10 but I still give the advantage to Mata because he's much more intelligent passer. The #10 has to create but should also be able to help set the tempo from the middle, Hazard can't do that. I'd say Oscar is the best at that but he isn't direct or decisive enough as Mata or even Hazard. Mata is like Hazard + Oscar mixed together, the perfect #10 imo.

You look at a player's instinct to see what position he's best suited at, and it's clear to me Mata is the best #10 at Chelsea. His first instinct is always to pass and move, pass and move, killer through ball, killer ball over the top, dangerous crosses, or if presented clinical finish and just great runs all game long.

Hazard's first and foremost instinct is to dribble, run with the ball at high speed, perform quick 1-2s. He's a good player and he can play the #10 but I rate Mata as the best #10 in the EPL, maybe even the world (Ozil is close but doesn't score enough for me, I think Gotze is close too and will prolly end up better).

Hazard is close to messi role than mata.

Mata is a good passer and normal finisher. Hazard is a good passer(messi level), good dribbler and normal finisher and has speed that messi has. So he is more suited to the false nine in my opinion. Putting mata alone directly beside defenders when he is not strong or fast enough is killing him.

Is it just me or does anyone else think that Juan Mata could be played as a striker for us, similar to the way Barcelona play Messi? At the minute, he's in the top 5 players in the world for me, and he has showed time and time again that he can beat the offside trap, finish with excellent composure, But he could also drop deep and help out the attacking players behind him. Next season I'd like to see

Mata

Hazard - Oscar - Schurrle

Providing Schurrle signs. People might argue that Mata doesn't have enough physicality for that role, but he doesn't need it with the pair of feet he has.

Thoughts?

Absolutley not, due to the fact that we would miss out on him to play the vital role he plays today.

I thought Hazard did well away at Juventus when he played as a striker. He held the ball up well and looked dangerous especially on the counter. We just didn't have the midfield to compete that night and were beaten rather easily but he should have been given more minutes in that position this season.

Mata won't work in that position because he's too slow and weak. Hazard is much better suited for it because he's quick, is very hard to dispossess when in possession and will hold the ball up.

Neither are ideally suited to that role, not even sure I like Messi there, but it works because he's a freak and the whole team is built around him.

Mata isn't quick enough, neither are a big enough goal threat. I'd hate to see us try to replicate Barcelona in this way, it wouldn't work.

You'd have Foxtel right? Can't you just record it?

How long have you been living in Oz?

I do. But I hate watching games if they're not live. I kind of just skim through them and watch the good chances and plays.

18 of 22 years. Pretty much more Aussie than Croatian/Serbian. Heh.