Are we going to finish in the top 4? - Achieved!

Styles

Will we finish in the top 4?  

150 members have voted

1. 1. Will we finish in the top 4?

Again I completely disagree and think that you're looking at his size, rather than what he does in matches.

How many times has he done that thing where he uses his body to shield players who are about 3 yards away from the ball? He's intelligent enough to position his body between opposition players and the ball. Falling to the ground is fine if he gets free kicks too - I really think you're overstating a problem that doesn't exist in the first place.

He falls too much, in my opinion. He also rarely gets a foul most of the times...

Yes he is intelligent, but I don't believe he has the right physical condition to play on the pivot!

What I've wanted from the start is for him to be given a fair shot at the shirt in pre-season. That's purely because I think he'll prove himself better than Mikel in a fair fight.

Until now, he is only a promise, be careful not to make him world class before time...

Many players come and go, you cant go into a season in the hopes of him living up to the hype. We did this with Torres (believing he would come back) and look what happened and how many times we cried for a striker.

Obviously that it would be amazing if he does win the starting job and perform like a top player. I just see a big risk in letting a young player with no experience be our only option for the DM (don't start me with Mikel, I had enough of him already).

Yes, with rotation. I think there's a question mark over Terry and that we should be looking for a replacement for him, but Cole is still good enough and Lukaku seems to be going from strength to strength.

Like I said, this team is great, just not enough to be English Champions!

If we rely on rotation, it will happen just like with Benitez, we will lose important points along the way...

Yep. That's not many more than I'd expect from this season - imagine if we'd beat QPR and held onto a few more winning scores. This team is not far away from being very good.

Wow, you honestly think that by only buying Schurrle and recalling our Loanees, we can win EPL? You actually think we can make 80+ points with that team??

I think this squad can comfortably make top3, but not win it all...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To stay on topic, I dont get the drama queens around here making us look like Liverpool or Arsenal if we don't qualify. We have been through this already and I have stated all my concerns over not making to UCL...

However, it is not because of one bad season in over a decade that Roman will leave or Chelsea will lose all their players. This is fucking laughable!

We are still in the driving seat if anyone hasn't noticed. I posted this in the English Football Thread and will post this again, if we had drew in different circumstances, everyone would be celebrating. How many of you did your simulations and added three points in Anfield?

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One heartbreaking moment and we are already crying about finishing out of TOP4? I hope our players aren't mentally as handicapped as some here, fragile and fickle. I'm confident we will be playing in the Champions League next season but if we aren't then it is something we have to deal with and suck it up, handle it and make corrections.

At the start of the season I thought this would be a year for Mata, Hazard, Oscar to gel their teamwork etc, but it has more been about the team having to play without the likes of Drogba, Lampard, Terry, Cole. In that regards we haven't done bad, looking forward to next season -be it in CL or not - I'm more for getting our hands on the Premier League trophy again.

Exactly, seeing comments saying that our future is fucked has me banging my head against a brick wall.

Realistically, this was a tough result to take regardless of how mediocre this Liverpool side is (Downing, Henderson...). The circumstances made it a bad result, but before the match, I'd have taken the tie without a second thought. Same goes for United game.

Now, Spurs at home has got to be a win for us--no excuses! Arsenal have to play United too, but at home. Though, United counter-attack well so that won't be much of an advantage to poor-defending Arsenal. ANd they've played an additional game... So, we can still get the 3rd spot, so long as our form does not dip and we don't keep on insisting with Torres.

Psychologically speaking, Leadership is a BIG reason why we failed. Up until Carlo's reign, the squad was full of leaders/experienced internationals but now the squad is mentally fragile.

Think back to October when we were on such a good run and everybody was happy. One loss to Man Utd and we caved. Lack of leadership is also the reason we've bottled so many leads this season. Once we lead in a game, we start losing every 50-50 challenge and the opposition will soon be all over us. How often did this happen with Lampard-Essien -Ballack etc? Very very rare.

This is not a lobby for Lampard and Terry to play, mind you. They don't have the legs anymore. but lack of leadership is a HUGE reason for our cursed season.

Yep. That's not many more than I'd expect from this season - imagine if we'd beat QPR and held onto a few more winning scores. This team is not far away from being very good.

Thank God I'm not the only one who thinks that. Our problems seem more to do with mentality (in terms of concentration and belief - so many times we've made careless mistakes, or gone behind and come back to draw or make the score more credible, only then to think if we'd have gone for it from the beginning we might even have won it) than with individual talent (I would go as far as saying some of our players, ie Cech, Azpilicueta, Hazard, Mata, Oscar, Luiz, are amongst the best players in the league in their positions). Just need someone to instil belief - not necessarily a Mourinho (although that would help...), just someone who can inspire the team to win.

Psychologically speaking, Leadership is a BIG reason why we failed. Up until Carlo's reign, the squad was full of leaders/experienced internationals but now the squad is mentally fragile.

Think back to October when we were on such a good run and everybody was happy. One loss to Man Utd and we caved. Lack of leadership is also the reason we've bottled so many leads this season. Once we lead in a game, we start losing every 50-50 challenge and the opposition will soon be all over us. How often did this happen with Lampard-Essien -Ballack etc? Very very rare.

This is not a lobby for Lampard and Terry to play, mind you. They don't have the legs anymore. but lack of leadership is a HUGE reason for our cursed season.

^ perfect post. Superb. Was just about to express the exact same view.

He falls too much, in my opinion. He also rarely gets a foul most of the times...

Yes he is intelligent, but I don't believe he has the right physical condition to play on the pivot!

Well I disagree. He's deceptively strong and tenacious and the players that we're looking at (Modric, Moutinho etc.) aren't much different in terms of strength.

Wow, you honestly think that by only buying Schurrle and recalling our Loanees, we can win EPL? You actually think we can make 80+ points with that team??

Yes. I have faith in this squad and in this club.

Well I disagree. He's deceptively strong and tenacious and the players that we're looking at (Modric, Moutinho etc.) aren't much different in terms of strength.

If you look at their size, you will see basically the same thing, but both are stronger than Oscar, specially Moutinho.

Anyways, totally not the point here. Agreed to disagree...

Yes. I have faith in this squad and in this club.

I do have faith, but I dont go that deep. I honestly cant see us finishing first with only Schurrle and Loanees, as much as I want to. I think we need a Striker and a DLP, at least. (only talking about next season)

If we want to really fight for every trophy, we need 3 or 4 players. Cavani/Falcao/Lewandowski, Schurrle, Moutinho at the minimum. And a new CB if we want to really spend a lot of money...

Again not the point of this thread, so we will end it here!

Santiago is back BABY!!!

And Bar Suarez's actions yesterday, we were basically inviting Liverpool on our half the entire last 20 minutes. Our defending was atrocious and we should have put Moses and and left Hazard to cause more problems. Why Torres started is the most illogical consumption I have ever crossed. Are we saving Ba for Thursday FFS?

Well done Torres for bottling it yet again whist better strikers like Sturridge played a huge part. A nice beautiful slap across the face of our boards.

I agree. Drogba said in an interview that when Mourinho put up his team selection, he'd fill in CECH - TERRY - MAKELELE - LAMPARD - DROGBA and say 'this is the spine', and then he'd put in the Riccys, Arjens and Tiagos.

We don't have that spine anymore. We don't have those leaders anymore, but we're getting there. We have Cech and Mata, and maybe even Luiz but there's a real lack of leaders which isn't surprising because we're a young team.

But this is where my frustration with Mikel arises from. How is it possible that a guy who has played so many games, over so many years and won so many trophies not grown into a leader in our team? When we talk about captains, does anyone ever raise his name? Think of the other people who have played that position - Makelele, Essien, Ballack, Wisey, Petit, Deschamps, Spackman.....

They were all MEN. We need MEN. We need leaders. When you look at the team now, I don't think you see those guys and it's why we've thrown away leads.

I agree. Drogba said in an interview that when Mourinho put up his team selection, he'd fill in CECH - TERRY - MAKELELE - LAMPARD - DROGBA and say 'this is the spine', and then he'd put in the Riccys, Arjens and Tiagos.

We don't have that spine anymore. We don't have those leaders anymore, but we're getting there. We have Cech and Mata, and maybe even Luiz but there's a real lack of leaders which isn't surprising because we're a young team.

But this is where my frustration with Mikel arises from. How is it possible that a guy who has played so many games, over so many years and won so many trophies not grown into a leader in our team? When we talk about captains, does anyone ever raise his name? Think of the other people who have played that position - Makelele, Essien, Ballack, Wisey, Petit, Deschamps, Spackman.....

They were all MEN. We need MEN. We need leaders. When you look at the team now, I don't think you see those guys and it's why we've thrown away leads.

Because Mikel lacks character, that is what is separating him and the rest. He lacks motivation, endurance, and that pure passion that great players must have out on the pitch. He gives us that 1 in 5 games if we are lucky which is why i have pointed out countless times he should be a squad player at best next season if we are to truly challenge for anything.

I don't see Mata as a 'spine' type of player. He's a luxury player that should be used according to match situations/opposition. He is far from a leader. He would get his minutes drastically cut by Mourinho if he returned and I would bet my life on that.

Mikel yesterday was constantly speaking to the referee and making himself a presence when Carragher and others were trying to bully the ref. He was giving it back and was the only player on our side doing so. He might not be a Ballack but he is far more of a leader than meek guys like Mata. You don't rate him as a player, which is absolutely fine, everybody is entitled to their opinion, but you do go to some extraordinary lengths to criticise him.

I don't see Mata as a 'spine' type of player. He's a luxury player that should be used according to match situations/opposition. He is far from a leader. He would get his minutes drastically cut by Mourinho if he returned and I would bet my life on that.

Mikel yesterday was constantly speaking to the referee and making himself a presence when Carragher and others were trying to bully the ref. He was giving it back and was the only player on our side doing so. He might not be a Ballack but he is far more of a leader than meek guys like Mata. You don't rate him as a player, which is absolutely fine, everybody is entitled to their opinion, but you do go to some extraordinary lengths to criticise him.

I see Mata as a 'spine' figure because I think he's become someone who has stepped up in tough games and lifted the players around him. I also included him in the spine of the team because he plays in the centre and is a nailed-on starter, and if we're talking about Mourinho teams then he's like Ozil in that sense. I wouldn't call Mata meek, but he's one of those guys who is a leader in our team simply because of the example he sets.

As for Mikel, I don't know if he was effectively talking to the ref but he went missing in the second-half (as did Ramires for the first 10 minutes). I don't rate him as a player and I don't rate him as a leader but I think you need to learn to read because I specifically compared him to the people who have played in HIS POSITION. That position requires a leadership and a sense of responsibility that he simply doesn't exhibit on a consistent basis. You go to some extraordinary lengths to disagree with me on things but at least try and understand what I'm saying.

I see Mata as a 'spine' figure because I think he's become someone who has stepped up in tough games and lifted the players around him. I also included him in the spine of the team because he plays in the centre and is a nailed-on starter, and if we're talking about Mourinho teams then he's like Ozil in that sense. I wouldn't call Mata meek, but he's one of those guys who is a leader in our team simply because of the example he sets.

As for Mikel, I don't know if he was effectively talking to the ref but he went missing in the second-half (as did Ramires for the first 10 minutes). I don't rate him as a player and I don't rate him as a leader but I think you need to learn to read because I specifically compared him to the people who have played in HIS POSITION. That position requires a leadership and a sense of responsibility that he simply doesn't exhibit on a consistent basis. You go to some extraordinary lengths to disagree with me on things but at least try and understand what I'm saying.

Don't flatter yourself. It's a forum and I responded to a post.

Mikel might not be a leader in comparison to past midfielders but in this team he is one of the more vocal players and yesterday was case in point. He was the only one remonstrating to the ref for his decisions and the reckless tackles from Liverpool players. That's a leader in my eyes.

Don't flatter yourself. It's a forum and I responded to a post.

Mikel might not be a leader in comparison to past midfielders but in this team he is one of the more vocal players and yesterday was case in point. He was the only one remonstrating to the ref for his decisions and the reckless tackles from Liverpool players. That's a leader in my eyes.

Cech got involved too, but if you're happy to say that Mikel is a leader at Chelsea then you're getting the season you deserve.

Me, I think we're better than that and fortunately we seem to have players come through who are born leaders. Anyone who has played team sports knows what a leader is and Mikel ain't. He never was (attitude problems when he first came here) and sadly I don't think he ever will be.

He's a boy with phenomenal physique and good technical skills.