Fernando Torres

No. Torres will never be a good signing no matter what, but he doesn't need to justify his being bought.for 50M pounds. If he scores 25-30 goals and wins us a bunch of games by himself, he'll justify his spot as our number one striker which is all he needs to worry about.

So if Torres scores 20+ league goals for the next 5 seasons for us and plays massive roles in us winning many many trophies he still wont be a good signing? are you serious?

Why oh why does he insist on putting more pressure on himself? With his goal scoring record he should stay quiet and do the talking on the pitch, then he can go to the media with all those bold statements once he has a bit higher reputation than being a flop.

Tbh he said he will "hopefully be remembered" like Drogba, not exactly proclaiming that he will "fill his boots", but he should just shush for the time being.

That's Torres for you. Scores a couple of goals, fills his ego and goes speaking to the media. Then he returns to normality.....

Sounds a bit like Malouda.

Malouda was shit for some time, then had a great season that fills his ego, talks to the media and goes back to normality.

Occasionally has his good games here and there, but you get the idea.

Yes, but would you trust him? I'm not convinced. I'd rather Hazard went up front with Marin, Oscar and Ramires behind if we don't get anyone. Sturridge annoyed me so much at the end of last season.

I'd keep Sturridge as a back-up for Torres, and if the Spaniard doesn't show up play Danny as the main striker. But we still need another experienced striker to be our third choice guy. Though, I don't know who we should target.

so! its not Torres who declares how much he's worth! so he doesn't need to justify any inflated price tag!

The fact is he knew if he left Liverpool he would command a potential record breaking fee and there be pressure, just like every other forward of top caliber will if they leave their club.

The fact is he knew if he left Liverpool he would command a potential record breaking fee and there be pressure, just like every other forward of top caliber will if they leave their club.

still doesn't mean he has to justify Chelsea paying £50 million for him! all he has to do is make sure when he leaves Chelsea he wont be seen as a flop.

still doesn't mean he has to justify Chelsea paying £50 million for him! all he has to do is make sure when he leaves Chelsea he wont be seen as a flop.

Yes it does. Just like every player ever signed in history has had the pressure from the media and fans to justify the fee that the club has paid for him. What can I say? Life isn't fair.

So if Torres scores 20+ league goals for the next 5 seasons for us and plays massive roles in us winning many many trophies he still wont be a good signing? are you serious?

He'll never be worth 50M, because he was never worth it in the first place. In order to say "he was worth it", he not only has to play at the level of what a 50M striker was when he was bought ( top-5 striker in the world) but he has to be much better than anyone else we could have got for equal or less money (Aguero, Cavani, Falcao, or really any other striker in the world) and that's just not going to happen. Also, five years of 20 goals? Torres is 28 and has scored 16 league goals over his last two seasons. I'd be ecstatic if he has two years where he is a top striker for us.

But, as I said earlier, the 50M price-tag is not an issue any more as far as I'm concerned. The issue is "is Torres good enough to be out #1 striker?"

He'll never be worth 50M, because he was never worth it in the first place. In order to say "he was worth it", he not only has to play at the level of what a 50M striker was when he was bought ( top-5 striker in the world) but he has to be much better than anyone else we could have got for equal or less money (Aguero, Cavani, Falcao, or really any other striker in the world) and that's just not going to happen. Also, five years of 20 goals? Torres is 28 and has scored 16 league goals over his last two seasons. I'd be ecstatic if he has two years where he is a top striker for us.

But, as I said earlier, the 50M price-tag is not an issue any more as far as I'm concerned. The issue is "is Torres good enough to be out #1 striker?"

why are you bringing up his price tag??? you said Torres will never be a good signing! if in the next 4 or 5 years Torres scores bucket loads of goals for us and wins bucket loads of trophies for us, of course he will be a good signing! so i dont see how you can say Torres will never be a good singing!

why are you bringing up his price tag??? you said Torres will never be a good signing! if in the next 4 or 5 years Torres scores bucket loads of goals for us and wins bucket loads of trophies for us, of course he will be a good signing! so i dont see how you can say Torres will never be a good singing!

Because he cost 50M pounds. He is never going to be worth that and since he has been horrible for us for a 1.5 years, he needs to be basically Ronaldo for about 4 years in order to make the signing decent value and that's never going to happen. You can't judge the value of signing and discard cost. I think the 50M fee should not be talked about any more, because there's no point. He'll never be worth that, he was never going to be worth it. We need to move on.

Because he cost 50M pounds. He is never going to be worth that and since he has been horrible for us for a 1.5 years, he needs to be basically Ronaldo for about 4 years in order to make the signing decent value and that's never going to happen. You can't judge the value of signing and discard cost. I think the 50M fee should not be talked about any more, because there's no point. He'll never be worth that, he was never going to be worth it. We need to move on.

if you want to talk about actual value then Torres has already repaid that with shirt sales, advertising ect!

For Torres to be a good signing he just needs to score goals and win trophies consistently for us! he doesn't need to do anything superhuman like Messi and Ronaldo!

if you want to talk about actual value then Torres has already repaid that with shirt sales, advertising ect!

For Torres to be a good signing he just needs to score goals and win trophies consistently for us! he doesn't need to do anything superhuman like Messi and Ronaldo!

No. You're missing the picture entirely here. There are two aspects to judge whether a player is worth what was paid.

1) Results. Torres has to be a 50M pounds striker and be worth 175K/week every single year just to be worth his value. What is that? Probably around 25-30 league goals including carrying the team on his back. He has to be the best striker in the Premier League. Considering that Torres was actually one of the worst strikers in the Premier League last season and a half, he has to actually be significantly better than a 50M striker over the remainder of his Chelsea career to reach even value.

2) Could you have got someone as good or better for the same price and cheaper. The answer is always going to be yes. Chelsea could have bought better strikers for much less. Aguero cost 12M pounds less than Torres for example. So, no matter what Torres does, we could have have got someone better for cheaper. So, even if Torres goes on and scores consistently for us and we win trophies, would we have had the same success with someone like Aguero or Falcao? Certainly. So, Torres, even if he scores regularly will not be worth what we paid for him.

(And nothing sells shirts like winning. Chelsea became a big club because of their success, not because of Torres.)

No. You're missing the picture entirely here. There are two aspects to judge whether a player is worth what was paid.

1) Results. Torres has to be a 50M pounds striker and be worth 175K/week every single year just to be worth his value. What is that? Probably around 25-30 league goals including carrying the team on his back. He has to be the best striker in the Premier League. Considering that Torres was actually one of the worst strikers in the Premier League last season and a half, he has to actually be significantly better than a 50M striker over the remainder of his Chelsea career to reach even value.

2) Could you have got someone as good or better for the same price and cheaper. The answer is always going to be yes. Chelsea could have bought better strikers for much less. Aguero cost 12M pounds less than Torres for example. So, no matter what Torres does, we could have have got someone better for cheaper. So, even if Torres goes on and scores consistently for us and we win trophies, would we have had the same success with someone like Aguero or Falcao? Certainly. So, Torres, even if he scores regularly will not be worth what we paid for him.

(And nothing sells shirts like winning. Chelsea became a big club because of their success, not because of Torres.)

I give up your delusional my friend! you are really missing the point here!

Okay everyone let's take a chill pill for a sec and take a deep breath.

For any club who payed a fee of 50 million pounds , fans would obviously expect more compared to a striker of maybe 10-20 million pounds. 50 million pounds at the time when Roman bought him just screamed "We need instant success now ! " and "We are desperate to win something". I'm sure there was a lot of optimism radiating from the crowd after the signing was introduced. People heralded him as the solution to all our problems. 1 year on and a CL and FA Cup Trophy later which he contributed partly, he still contributed something for the team. I mean in hindsight, Im sure none of us was expecting that, especially with the dire form which we showed in the league. But somehow, things worked out.

Fans see and rate Torres only on the pitch but the club not only see him as a player but also as a poster boy. In a way, the Torres signing did a lot of good to our reputation for our international brand as well. The Torres signing meant a lot of things to people here in Malaysia, it deflated the stereotype that Chelsea only buys physically imposing strong players from African countries (because the fanbase for Chelsea really went up during Mourinho's era, not many people were able to appreciate Zola's or even Di Matteo's talents) and created this new expectation that Chelsea were going to play a new more attacking version of football. Most of us die hard fans would say that is absolute bull but for the armchair or casual supporters, it made supporting Chelsea a cool thing. Now with the CL wrapped up (which proves that we are cool), our reputation has definitely went up in Asia and you can see more and more people into Chelsea. More people = More jerseys = More support = More Morale = More Revenue .

Not too mention, he was also influential in bringing Mata to the Bridge. People do think that it's all about the money sometimes, but that is not necessarily true. I would say one of Hazard's other reasons for joining this club compared to the others was because of our ever increasing Belgian contingent. Footballers are not a 100% money driven, they do consider the human factor of joining certain clubs

With that in mind, I think Torres, off the pitch, did wonders for our Reputation.

On it however, remains to be seen. Personally, I will never forget his goal against us in his first game. Im sure most of us are still into him because of that. That sold most of us into believing he would work out for any team. With his inflated price tag and a rather disappointing first full season here, my expectations have lowered. But I still have that trust in him that he would do well for this club. Doing "well" in my definition is that he fulfills his job as our striker, not a super striker, that was my expectation when he came. But for now, I'll take at least 15 important season or game winning goals and maybe 10 assists because he's just that type of striker that doesn't really fuel his own ego of " Im a super striker, I must be selfish and prove to people I am worth 50 million pounds".

As a Chelsea fan, I'd rather be optimistic than complain all day because honestly, complaining should only be reserved for

1. work

2. customer service offers

3. referees

I rest my case

Why oh why does he insist on putting more pressure on himself? With his goal scoring record he should stay quiet and do the talking on the pitch, then he can go to the media with all those bold statements once he has a bit higher reputation than being a flop.

Tbh he said he will "hopefully be remembered" like Drogba, not exactly proclaiming that he will "fill his boots", but he should just shush for the time being.

its with all the transfer speculation on new strikers that torrres's ego already taken a hit, hahaha