Fernando Torres

@Bir_CFC,

The Torres-FFP argument doesn't make sense. He was signed before FFP, so how would that leave us worse off?

It doesn't matter when he was signed. Transfer fees can be either accounted in lump sum or amortized over the duration of the contract. Obviously we can't recognize anything in lump sum considering how much we spent on transfers, so we have to amortize everything. Hence we didn't play 50M for Torres, rather 10M each year for the duration of his contract. We've had him for 1.5 years, so we've only paid 15M for him so far. If we sell him now, for let's say 15M it means we have to recognize a loss of 35M-15M = 20M in THIS year. As opposed to a 10M transfer spend per year for the remaining 3.5 years.

Sure, the next year we'll be 10M better off, but considering how much we've spent this year I don't think we can take that 20M hit. And of course that will also mean buying more strikers, just not feasible.

I am astonished when I see people bad-mouthing on Sturridge because he had 5 bad months at the end of the season, but on the other hand saying the Wonder Horse is a hard worker because he had a decent work rate during four months, at best, at the end of the season. Do I need to remind you the shit he did from January 2011 to January 2012 ?! Do I need to remind you that he was sulking on the bench, like a 8 years-old girl scolded by his mother, whenever Ancelotti and Villas-Boas played Drogba instead of him ? Did I need to remember you he wasn't even bothered to run, in order to show he wasn't happy, whenever he was coming off the bench ? Did I need to remember you he was often puting heartless performance under André and Carlo ?

well i´m astonished too ... how one man can be the measure everything and everyone ... kalou would score for fun with the new signings ... italy were tiered ... ireland no real opponent ... the barca-goal was nothing special ... there was no defender ... he is sulking, but in same time he changed the game ... he is scared ... everyone is fine but him ... he has no confidence ... sturridge is so much better than him ... what means a corner ... who is the biggest flop ... meh ... aaahhhh!

well i´m astonished too ... how one man can be the measure everything and everyone ... kalou would score for fun with the new signings ... italy were tiered ... ireland no real opponent ... the barca-goal was nothing special ... there was no defender ... he is sulking, but in same time he changed the game ... he is scared ... everyone is fine but him ... he has no confidence ... sturridge is so much better than him ... what means a corner ... who is the biggest flop ... meh ... aaahhhh!

You've summed perfectly his situation. I couldn't even put it better myself. Well done ;)

How can we say he is finished even if the season has not started ? Maybe Because we have watched Chelsea during these 18 last months. Maybe because we have followed Football during these two past years. Maybe because we don't need to see the testicles to work out whether it's a male or female.

We dare to say he is finished because there have been evidences of it during these two last years. First of all, the most obvious evidence : he has been average at best during the last two seasons. When a footballer is playing way below his standard for two years, then you can genuinly wonder whether or not he will recapture his old form. Let alone when this footballer is supposed to be world-class. When a striker goes into a 14 games path without scoring a goal, and then beats his "record", i.e. to fail to score during 29 games in row, and all that in more or less 12 months, you can rightfully wonder if he will be ever good again. When a footballer suffer from an knee injury, and that his level drops significantly after he undergoing the surgery, you can have genuine concerns (i.e. Essien). When a footballer loses one of his best abilities (the pace, in this case), you can question his aptitude to bounce back. When an higly rated footballer fails to do the basics (i.e. to score easy goals... or at least hit the target ! To have a good first touch, to not push the ball too far), and look like a U21 (i.e. getting pushed easely off the ball, being woned by half good defenders, having no mental strength), then it isn't being unfair to wonder "what the hell happens ?".

I am deeply sorry to say this, but when you have all these questions I mentionned, about only one footballer, and that all happened in the same time... I presume it's safe to say he won't ever again be at the level he once was.

How can we say he is finished even if the season has not started ? Maybe Because we have watched Chelsea during these 18 last months. Maybe because we have followed Football during these two past years. Maybe because we don't need to see the testicles to work out whether it's a male or female.

We dare to say he is finished because there have been evidences of it during these two last years. First of all, the most obvious evidence : he has been average at best during the last two seasons. When a footballer is playing way below his standard for two years, then you can genuinly wonder whether or not he will recapture his old form. Let alone when this footballer is supposed to be world-class. When a striker goes into a 14 games path without scoring a goal, and then beats his "record", i.e. to fail to score during 29 games in row, and all that in more or less 12 months, you can rightfully wonder if he will be ever good again. When a footballer suffer from an knee injury, and that his level drops significantly after he undergoing the surgery, you can have genuine concerns (i.e. Essien). When a footballer loses one of his best abilities (the pace, in this case), you can question his aptitude to bounce back. When an higly rated footballer fails to do the basics (i.e. to score easy goals... or at least hit the target ! To have a good first touch, to not push the ball too far), and look like a U21 (i.e. getting pushed easely off the ball, being woned by half good defenders, having no mental strength), then it isn't being unfair to wonder "what the hell happens ?".

I am deeply sorry to say this, but when you have all these questions I mentionned, about only one footballer, and that all happened in the same time... I presume it's safe to say he won't ever again be at the level he once was.

ahhh i see ... you mean the time where every other striker at our club were scoring for fun, ... thats a very good reason ... boy you have it :)

ahhh i see ... you mean the time where every other striker at our club were scoring for fun, ... thats a very good reason ... boy you have it :)

This is exactly what I am speaking about. Id Est the time when Drogba saved our life in CL against Valencia, while Torres was missing sitters against Manchester United and Blackurn and going 24 hours without scoring. Great minds think alike :)

This is exactly what I am speaking about. Id Est the time when Drogba saved our life in CL against Valencia, while Torres was missing sitters against Manchester United and Blackurn and going 24 hours without scoring. Great minds think alike :)

fools seldom differ...?????

We're talking basics here. His 'movement' is hardly out of this world, its basic striker positioning. Any competent goal scorer would know where to be instinctively, and if they didn't, their coaches would drum it into their heads.

Now we've established that praising him for positioning is not valid, we have to examine his finishing, which is absolutely terrible, you cannot rely on him to tuck away a chance. You don't know if he'll hit the top corner or do something like this:

And that is exactly what's not needed in a striker. We need someone confident. Someone who'll tuck away the chances he will get. Any idiot can get himself in the same goal scoring positions Torres was in several times last season.

You mad mate?

Torres has unbelievable movement!!! i guarantee if you asked any PL defender who has played against him, if Torres is easy to mark they will all say no!!! he just needs the service to match his runs, which he may well get this season! and in terms of his finishing when he is confident he is clinical but when he feels the pressure thats when its hit or miss!

your clearly talking crap as usual! we get it you hate Torres you dont have to keep talking smack about the guy especially when the crap you talk isn't even entirely true!

This has been going on for more than 18 months. When will we realize that this "discussion" is futile? I imagine us still fighting about Torres, using almost exactly the same words as in the above posts one year from now.

the solution is simple ... bring back Kalou ,Bos and Ben Haim .... oh fuck go the whole hog and bring back Bogarde and Robert Fleck

In a way it doesn't really matter, as if we buy a high profile striker (I.E. Lewandowski or cavani), then they start over torres, and if not torres is our number one and we have to get behind him... I think this is his best chance of finding form as with a supply line of mata, oscar, and hazard, we should be creating a lot of oppertunities for him.... Can't wait to get everyone back and start the season properly and then we will get a clearer idea of our team and how torres is doing...

A striker's main task is to finish the chances the team creates for him. That's it. Forget about what Cristiano and Messi are doing in La Liga. When these chances don't come for hours and hours you start thinking it's your fault, you practically lose your game. You start going out of position, receiving in the wings, going back deep in midfield. Torres is useless in this positions, but that in no way means he is a useless player. So, tell me guys what you prefer a striker who sits upfront and does nothing for 90 minutes, or a striker who is at least putting an effort to participate in the play?

Just look at Van Persie at Arsenal last season! I don't know how much goals he scored maybe something like 35 in all competitions. It's mostly tap ins + a couple brilliant solo goals. Goals are goals, but when you start scoring regularly, scoring these 'easy' chances, you also start having the eye for the spectacular finish.

Torres was the leader and the captain in Atletico - he performed. Torres was the starman in Liverpool - he performed. Torres is our N1 striker - he will perform.

Maybe Torres won't reach astronomical levels again, we don't know. But that doesn't mean he's finished.

I expect at least one good season to fool everybody he is back to his best, and "shut up" people.

After that he will be back to mediocrity a la Berbatov.

I will love it if im proved wrong, but i really cannot see any way back for him, one major goal drought you could consider a one off, but two?

Im just being over cautious because last summer i had hope for him and was let down.