Fernando Torres

Atletico Madrid want to reward Fernando Torres with the club's highest honour when they go head-to-head with Chelsea in the Uefa Super Cup.

The two teams meet in Monaco on August 31 and Los Colchoneros are keen to finally offer the striker the accolade of the insignia de oro y brillantes, something they have wanted to do since his winning goal for Spain in the Euro 2008 final against Germany.

Atleti had been keen to hand Torres the honour when they played Liverpool in the 2008-09 Champions League group stage, but he was injured on both occasions.

The club are now trying to organise a way in which they can present the award to their former captain, but it may prove difficult due to the limited amount of time the two sides will spend in Monaco for the match.

Since their original decision to award the 28-year-old the commendation, he has won a World Cup and another European Championship with La Roja, as well as the Champions League with Chelsea.

After submitted an official petition, Los Rojiblancos are waiting to hear back from Uefa over whether they have been granted more tickets for the game at the Stade Louis II Stadium

http://www.goal.com/...h-award-at-uefa

Why? You think it'll be a Drogba-OM type thing?

Something like that. Or Torres-Scouser, like @daBlackMamba7 eloquently put it. I want to know what people think about it. At the moment our only real alternative would be Sturridge, but he's at the Olympics for god knows how long.

I know I've said this once, but I like how the vast majority of the fans have no faith in him. And this is exactly why he will shock everyone this season. The season he joined we had very few creative players, then next season it was AVB with his revolution.

This season it will be him up front with Hazard, Mata, Oscar and Marin supporting him from behind/the wings, and this season will without a doubt be his.

I know I've said this once, but I like how the vast majority of the fans have no faith in him. And this is exactly why he will shock everyone this season. The season he joined we had very few creative players, then next season it was AVB with his revolution.

This season it will be him up front with Hazard, Mata, Oscar and Marin supporting him from behind/the wings, and this season will without a doubt be his.

Lol..what fans are you talking about? Surely not the Chelsea fans...