Fernando Torres

Carlo Ancelotti has suggested his former club Chelsea need to offload Didier Drogba in order to get the best out of £50million man Fernando Torres.

Chelseaspacer.gif spent a British transfer record sum to sign Torresspacer.gif fromLiverpoolspacer.gif 12 months ago, but the Spaniard has repaid the investment with only five goals.

Torres, who has not scored since mid-October, has struggled to form an effective partnership with Drogbaspacer.gif when given the opportunity and, in recent weeks, Ancelotti'sspacer.gif successor Andre Villas-Boas has been playing just one up front.

Drogba's departure for the African Cup of Nations has handed Torres a chance in the team, while theIvory Coastspacer.gif ace's future at Stamford Bridge is uncertain.

Crisis

"Didier is like Filippo Inzaghi was at AC Milan. He simply devours any competition. It's not that he's evil - nor was Inzaghi - it's just the way they are."

Carlo AncelottiQuotes of the week

The former Marseillespacer.gif forward is out of contract at the end of the season and Ancelotti believes letting Drogba go could provide the platform for Torres to thrive at Chelsea.

"I don't judge the work of a colleague," Ancelotti, who has since taken charge as Paris St Germainspacer.gif coach and claims to have been offered Torres, told Gazzetta dello Sport.

"What I would say is training Chelsea, when the club is in the middle of a major generational change, is complicated.

"Take Torres and the crisis he has lived through there. I now know if you decide to invest strongly in him, you have to sell Drogba.

"Didier is like Filippo Inzaghi was at AC Milan.spacer.gif He simply devours any competition.

"It's not that he's evil - nor was Inzaghi - it's just the way they are."

Skysports

Seems more likely Barrios will leave.

True but Lewandowski would be a far better option. I don't believe that we'll buy him but imo he would suit very much in our system and would strenghten our squad pretty much. And at the same time we would have a clear hierarchy which should be positive as well

Drogba must go - the statistics that prove it

http://www.talksport...istics-prove-it

We all know Drogba is coming to the end of a fantastic career but the worry is Torres is 6 years younger but he ain't playing much better then a washed up Didier we bought for 24 million back in 04. We've had Drogba for 7 full seasons and this is his 8th season at the club. We need Torres to start firing or we're fucked.

Am i the only one that finds the OTT Torres loving cringeworthy?

Yes he is a Chelsea player and while he is i fully support him and hope he gets back to his best, but things like defending even his worst displays while slagging off other players who actually performed better. I was in the MH lower on saturday and we all thought it was Nando that scored with the overhead kick going in off the bar instead of hitting Frank and when Neil announced it was Frank there was groans like the goal was disallowed which was quite frankly embarrising.

I hope we can see the best out of him but here there is not getting away from the fact he has got a long way to go and his "favrotism" treatment he gets while slagging off other players in the process is quite frankly annoying. PS how he has a banner at The Bridge yet Drogba doesn't beats me.