Fernando Torres

Listen, I get it. Fernando is off form. And I'm not suggesting starting him over Drogba. But why not alongside him? I honestly don't see how it benefits anyone, club or player, to keep him benched. Just when does he get to play his way into form then? Btw, I completely disagree that he is worse than Anelka. I see more effort from Torres than Anelka these days.

So what is this, the second disallowed goal for Fernando then? He just can't catch a break can he? :( For the measly ten minutes he was given, he almost scored. Pity that won't be what the papers are talking about tomorrow though.

Our best formation, and what has always worked is 4-3-3 everyone knows that....Drogba cannot perform best anywhere but CF and Torres is CF, therefore unless we change the whole formation which has been tried and failed, then thats the only way they can play together. We have no natural width when we play in a 4-4-2 and we get over run in the middle. It doesn't benefit the player being benched, but in my opinion it benefits the team no doubt. why have an under-performing player, playing? Thats no benefit.

Yes it should have been allowed today, but i can garentee you if he starts the scoreline would not have been 1-3. I didn't see the game, but how pivotal was Drogs? If you're saying play them together, again thats a formation change, the scoreline wouldn't have been 1-3. We would have struggled, just like we do everytime we play a 4-4-2

I believe Torres will be in the starting XI against Birmingham, as he was on the bench today. OR Carlo will give him the nod at Old Trafford again, which is bloody much more difficult :fainthv9:

Drogba must be starter in last 8 matches in EPL, he is much much better then Torres, or maybe put them together..

Our best formation, and what has always worked is 4-3-3 everyone knows that....Drogba cannot perform best anywhere but CF and Torres is CF, therefore unless we change the whole formation which has been tried and failed, then thats the only way they can play together. We have no natural width when we play in a 4-4-2 and we get over run in the middle. It doesn't benefit the player being benched, but in my opinion it benefits the team no doubt. why have an under-performing player, playing? Thats no benefit.

Yes it should have been allowed today, but i can garentee you if he starts the scoreline would not have been 1-3. I didn't see the game, but how pivotal was Drogs? If you're saying play them together, again thats a formation change, the scoreline wouldn't have been 1-3. We would have struggled, just like we do everytime we play a 4-4-2

Don't agree with you. Don't believe 4-3-3 is the only formation we can play. Today Kalou played as a center forward didn't he? So why not Torres? As far as not playing under performing players, what about Malouda, Lampard, Essien even? They've hardly set the world on fire with their respective forms in recent months. Or what about when Drogba was under performing? Or is it only Torres that should be given this 'special treatment'?

I think you're looking at things very narrowly. Benching the out of form player now might be a short term solution but in the long term is no solution at all. Again, I bring up the Man U./Rooney comparison. Torres is here for five years, how long do you think Drogba is here for? Their Chelsea careers are going to overlap so the club must make it a priority to get them gelling. How many ninety minute games have they played together? Hell, how many ninety minute matches has Torres played? There's been precious little time for them to connect on the field so we really have no idea what formation can work with both of them. A game like this against a struggling side with a poor defence would have been an ideal time to really give their partnership a go I thought.

Don't agree with you. Don't believe 4-3-3 is the only formation we can play. Today Kalou played as a center forward didn't he? So why not Torres? As far as not playing under performing players, what about Malouda, Lampard, Essien even? They've hardly set the world on fire with their respective forms in recent months. Or what about when Drogba was under performing? Or is it only Torres that should be given this 'special treatment'?

I think you're looking at things very narrowly. Benching the out of form player now might be a short term solution but in the long term is no solution at all. Again, I bring up the Man U./Rooney comparison. Torres is here for five years, how long do you think Drogba is here for? Their Chelsea careers are going to overlap so the club must make it a priority to get them gelling. How many ninety minute games have they played together? Hell, how many ninety minute matches has Torres played? There's been precious little time for them to connect on the field so we really have no idea what formation can work with both of them. A game like this against a struggling side with a poor defence would have been an ideal time to really give their partnership a go I thought.

4-3-3 isn't the only formation we can play. It's the one that works. FACT. whenever we have won the title what have we played? 4-3-3. Two wingers, big man up top. Anelka usually plays wide aswel. We haven't got another essien,lampard or malouda though have we? We haven't got performing midfielders to shove in there. We have striker wise. When Drogba was under performing we didn't have many other options. He is our best striker and a match winner. Rooney is different kettle though, he was out of form and found his feet himself. No matter what you say, I understand peoples love for Torres, I really do. But I honestly believe he looks rubbish and until he performs then I won't change my opinion. That free kick when they slid it to him and he scuffed it completely....how many "world class" strikers miss the ball completely? He came on and had chances, I watched highlights on MOTD and you can be as bias as you like but its obvious how bad the guy is.

Guillem Balague on Talksport 4/18/11

30 minutes. Love or hate him, Guillem hears a lot of information. Had the Torres transfer spot on and got bashed from Liverpool fans for it.

1. Torres talk at the very beginning

2. 12-13 minutes - talk about Redknapp at Chelsea, Benitez, Torres (gist of - want a manager who will make Torres better and that is counter-attacking football, Torres does not play best in beautiful football)

3. 28 minute - Chelsea to spend more in summer

How long was this interview?

Found the talk about Torres and Drogba:

http://www.talksport.co.uk/radio/listen-again/episode/28339

2030-2100 - 24:14 talk about Torres and Drogba

Edited by Tortilla9

The non-performers should be glad Torres is at Chelsea and taking one for the team. Torres according to the media is such a flop, waste of money, whatever negative comment there is, that he's taking the brunt of most of the negative press that Chelsea is getting.

I wouldn't bet money on Torres scoring anytime soon. It's like watching a car accident in slow motion right now.

I wouldn't quite say he's not going to score anytime soon but obviously with each passing game the pressure mounts. What else is there to do but for the manager and club to continue to show confidence in him and offer support? For the long term, I think this is vital as shown by the way Ferguson stuck with Rooney and Guardiola continuing to play Villa. All strikers are sensitive to confidence issues and Nando seems particularly so.

I wouldn't quite say he's not going to score anytime soon but obviously with each passing game the pressure mounts. What else is there to do but for the manager and club to continue to show confidence in him and offer support? For the long term, I think this is vital as shown by the way Ferguson stuck with Rooney and Guardiola continuing to play Villa. All strikers are sensitive to confidence issues and Nando seems particularly so.

I would love to see him score but I'm not seeing it to be honest. I hope I'm proven wrong the sooner the better. 9 minutes won't get it done. I don't think Torres is confident about his football now and it's a combination of factors.

Do you think the manager is showing confidence in him? Questioning publicly whether he should have started Torres against United. That makes it too easy to place the blame of the United losses on Torres' shoulders.