Our CB pairing.

Please move or merge this thread if it is inappropriate in its creation or location.

I think many on here will agree that we as Chelsea fans had grown accustomed to a strong defence especially in the Mou era, but this current back-line just seems shambolic. Obviously we have to take into account the 'different style' that we are said to be playing which gives less protection to the defence, but I have not seen a Chelsea backline look as easy to penetrate as a cheap prostitute for a very, very long time - we are leaking goals, and its costing us points. We have challenges in the striker position that have been debated to death on this and many other sites, but I wanted to gage your opinions on what our best backline currently is.

I personally have been impressed by Cesar Azpilicueta and think he could be our first choice with Ivanovic moving as a possible CB and cover for RB. Luiz gets a lot of hate on here and I used to be a supporter of his, but I see this distaste with his recent form is entirely justified. Some have suggested he should be tried in the DM position which is fair enough, but I don't think he is disciplined enough to be a CB. His constant brainfarts and lapses in concentration where he goes bombing forwards and leaves a giant void in our defence is costing us points. He is not a CB.

John Terry, for me, is irreplaceable in our squad. He brings so much to the table with regards to defensive solidity and organisation. I would suggest our best CB pairing is JT and Cahill, but would be interested to see how Ivanovic does in the CB position partnering Cahill, whilst Terry is out.

Sorry for the sloppy writing, I am slightly drunk and rushing to go to dinner, let me know what you think of our defensive situation.

Thanks!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cahill and iva for me when JT is out, no doubt about it. azpi seems a really good rb so don't think iva needs to play as a rb anymore. I mean look at some of the crosses azpi put tody were simply brilliant and if we had DD, he would have scored atleast twice. plus iva gives us far more stability than luiz.

Is Ivanovic-Cahill partnership the new flavor of the month or something? they have played together twice, both times we conceded and i keep hearing about how this is some new invincible solid partnership.

Terry and Luiz is still our best partnership, especially with Ivan and Cole either side of them. We are clean sheet machine's when we play that back four.

Is Ivanovic-Cahill partnership the new flavor of the month or something? they have played together twice, both times we conceded and i keep hearing about how this is some new invincible solid partnership.

Terry and Luiz is still our best partnership, especially with Ivan and Cole either side of them. We are clean sheet machine's when we play that back four.

I agree that Terry-Luiz is the way to go, but right now Terry is injured and Luiz has been out of form lately. Maybe it's because he has played nearly every game since the beginning of the season for Chelsea as well as for Brazil or maybe it's something else. Whatever the reason, I think it would be best if he sat out for a few matches and until then Ivanovic-Cahill would make most sense.

I will still never work out how Luiz gets so much stick yet Cahill get's away scot free without any flak whatsoever even tho he has been just as bad if not worse.

If we are going to base our CB partnership on current form then it's Ivanovic then heads and tails out of those two.

I will still never work out how Luiz gets so much stick yet Cahill get's away scot free without any flak whatsoever even tho he has been just as bad if not worse.

If we are going to base our CB partnership on current form then it's Ivanovic then heads and tails out of those two.

BECAUSE THIS IS ENGLAND! And English players are gods. They are too good to win the Euros and the World Cup, they pity other teams.

TERRY AND ANYONE...

When you put him next to any of the 3 we are so much better. For me i like the idea of Ivan and JT, as azpi has done well at rb, but i have no problems with JT Cahill... And Tbh, i don't think that JT Luiz is that bad and is good aswell...

Without JT, there doesn't seem to be that man organising it. When JT is on the pitch you know who is in charge and he leads by example, and marshalls that. Without him it just seems that no one is taking control.

COME BACK JT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We also have to take into consideration our fullbacks...both Ryan and Cesar are not experienced as Ash (best LB in the world) and Bran (probably best RB in the league) are, so not so impressive performances from pairing of Luiz and Cahill have been influenced by that too...

For me, our defense looked best with Ivanovic-Luiz-Terry-Cole and by simple logic I would choose Terry and Luiz.

When it comes to Luiz and Cahill, although I find them decent, they seem to be playing better with a player who is more of a leader and commander like Terry and probably Ivanovic. Not really sure since our defense looks insecure since the preseason...little amount of goals we conceded is a lie created by Petr Cech's pure awesomeness.

We also have to take into consideration our fullbacks...both Ryan and Cesar are not experienced as Ash (best LB in the world) and Bran (probably best RB in the league) are, so not so impressive performances from pairing of Luiz and Cahill have been influenced by that too...

For me, our defense looked best with Ivanovic-Luiz-Terry-Cole and by simple logic I would choose Terry and Luiz.

When it comes to Luiz and Cahill, although I find them decent, they seem to be playing better with a player who is more of a leader and commander like Terry and probably Ivanovic. Not really sure since our defense looks insecure since the preseason...little amount of goals we conceded is a lie created by Petr Cech's pure awesomeness.

I'd say Bran is better at CB as he gets exposed for pace too much at RB. Azpi is more than capable to replace him and will be better than him in time. I'd say out best back 4 is probably Azpi - Bran - Cahill/Terry- Cole

Couldnt agree more. I dont know why people think that Iva+Cahill is godlike. CLEARLY luiz+terry has been the best choice and still is..