Spurs (h)
Bayern (h)
Bournemouth (a)
Shrewsbury/Liverpool (h)
Everton (h)
Aston Villa (a)
Bayern (a)
Man City (h)

Let's see what our kids are made of. This period will decide their status in the club for the next season. 

18 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Unpopular opinion no doubt but with the way they present these draws and the outrage people show over teams playing weakened Xls in the cup, people are clinging onto what it use to be.

While I'd still like to win it the FA Cup just isn't that big a drawer anymore, I use to buzz for it especially 3rd round weekends but nowadays I find it almost as boring as international breaks.

Sad i know but it is what it is.

I have to agree even though it hurts to say so . The fa cup has been completely usurped not by the premier league but the champions league when four teams are chasing all season to get a place the fa cup is largely an unwanted distraction. The fa cup is dying on it's arse I wish more fans

would admit it.The worse offenders are the BBC they keep coming out with the cliche the magic of the fa cup that might have been true but when Man United refused to play in it and played in a tinpot exhibition match that's when some of it's lustre died funny enough we won it that year.

The fa cup used to be great the 82 season when we beat Liverpool and narrowly lost to Spurs was brilliant especially as we were so shit then. Every away game we played in the cup we bought thousands usually more than we would have for a league match most clubs did. Now fans don't even turn up for home fa cup games and who can blame them if you're a season ticket holder at Reading or Doncaster if you have to pay again.

1 hour ago, Iggy Doonican said:

but when Man United refused to play in it and played in a tinpot exhibition match that's when some of it's lustre died funny enough we won it that year.

that was the very first FWCC in 2000

it wasn't tinpot it had two heavy duty Brasilian sides (vastly better than what Brasil sides are now) and RealMadrid and a top class Mexican side as well

you so cannot blame Manure for going, as it was the ONLY year ever where there was both the Intercontinental Cup and the FWCC

and the only FWCC for 5 years until it started up again in 2005 after the Intercontinental Cup folded in 2004

Manure won the Intercontinental Cup over Palmeiras in November 1999 then went to the FWCC in January 2000 and didn't even make it out of the group stage, as Vasco de Gama smashed them (then Vasco lost to Corinthians in the final, same fucking Corinthians who beat us in the 2012 FWCC final) We are the only Euro side to not win it in the last 13 years, ffs, it is the only major still existent trophy we do not have :rant:

Other than us, the first 3 FWCC's were the only times the Euro team didnt win (Liverpool lost in 2005, the only oter Englsih teams to lose a final)

2020 is the last 'easy' one to win

as in 2021 it goes to a huge 24 team field (we qualify due to the EL win last season)

b3e08bef75d586d07c6451411eba48d3.png

1 hour ago, Iggy Doonican said:

I have to agree even though it hurts to say so . The fa cup has been completely usurped not by the premier league but the champions league when four teams are chasing all season to get a place the fa cup is largely an unwanted distraction. The fa cup is dying on it's arse I wish more fans

would admit it.The worse offenders are the BBC they keep coming out with the cliche the magic of the fa cup that might have been true but when Man United refused to play in it and played in a tinpot exhibition match that's when some of it's lustre died funny enough we won it that year.

The fa cup used to be great the 82 season when we beat Liverpool and narrowly lost to Spurs was brilliant especially as we were so shit then. Every away game we played in the cup we bought thousands usually more than we would have for a league match most clubs did. Now fans don't even turn up for home fa cup games and who can blame them if you're a season ticket holder at Reading or Doncaster if you have to pay again.

Completely agree and it's quite sad actually.

One of my all time favourite childhood Chelsea memories is coming from 2-0 down at the Bridge to beat the Scousers 4-2 in the 3rd round, made even sweeter by going on to win the cup.

They got absolutely blown away in the second half by Gullit playing Hughes, Vialli and Zola all together. At one point Mark Wright looked like he was going to cry.

The only way it would have been better would have been if all those second half goals were in front of a stand, not a building site!

In the last 15 years though it has really lost its aura as the Champions League has become top priority for the big clubs with the money involved. However I think if any of the big club's can keep their head high over the FA Cup it's us as we've always taken it seriously as a trophy to go for. Unfortunately in that circumstance we get grouped with the rest of the big clubs who have shown very little respect compared to us to the FA Cup.

1 hour ago, Laylabelle said:

It's sad! And it's not just teams who show little respect. The whole final kick off moved. Semi finals at Wembley which make the final less of a event.

That poxy ticker tape when the cup is lifted you can't even see the players. X factor rejects singing abide with me they're trying to turn into the Superbowl and it looks ridiculous was it Tinchy Stryder one year and a monumental cock up with the sound ?

1 hour ago, Vesper said:

Semifinals should be at the Den

:ph34r:

I do think it lost something when it was played in Wales it didn't feel right somehow. But semi finals at Wembley are taking the piss fair enough Spurs-Arsenal in 91 but then us against Luton in 94 same year Mancs against Oldham. My mate is a Villa fan and he said we should have beaten you in 2010 semi final I completely forgot about it we've played so many recently. 

12 minutes ago, Iggy Doonican said:

I do think it lost something when it was played in Wales it didn't feel right somehow. But semi finals at Wembley are taking the piss fair enough Spurs-Arsenal in 91 but then us against Luton in 94 same year Mancs against Oldham. My mate is a Villa fan and he said we should have beaten you in 2010 semi final I completely forgot about it we've played so many recently. 

I went to the finals against Boro and Villa at the old Wembley and then Arsenal at the Millennium. Losing compared to winning obviously leaves a sour taste, but you're spot on. The aura of the old Wembley stadium was incredible with the twin towers, and so much history and prestige attached to it and it just was not the same in Wales.

I don't think the new Wembley is any better either to be honest. It's great having things look modern but if the atmosphere is lacking it kills everything. The new Wembley for me isn't a great deal better than the Emirates which is as described, a soulless bowl.

7 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

I went to the finals against Boro and Villa at the old Wembley and then Arsenal at the Millennium. Losing compared to winning obviously leaves a sour taste, but you're spot on. The aura of the old Wembley stadium was incredible with the twin towers, and so much history and prestige attached to it and it just was not the same in Wales.

I don't think the new Wembley is any better either to be honest. It's great having things look modern but if the atmosphere is lacking it kills everything. The new Wembley for me isn't a great deal better than the Emirates which is as described, a soulless bowl.

Related imagewembley.jpg?w=900Related imageImage resultold_wembley_stadium_by_fellows_house_d38mjb3-fullview.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NTg0IiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvMWM2MDc5MDAtOTE1Yi00MTg3LTkzZTYtMzYzNTJhZmIyZDI0XC9kMzhtamIzLTk3NDU1MDRjLWE2ZDEtNGM2My1iYjkzLTUzMjQ2YmYxZTkzOS5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9OTAwIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmltYWdlLm9wZXJhdGlvbnMiXX0.Ll-H2UBQsHODBKjXVGVailvCRSqQBTafzDUntju0W2Y

8 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

I was brought up a few miles from Wembley the best thing about it was it was so easy to bunk into. :). Saw loads of England internationals as a kid although we gave the England- Scotland games a swerve you could hardly see the pavement because of the empty cans of McEwans tartan bitter !

13 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

Completely agree and it's quite sad actually.

One of my all time favourite childhood Chelsea memories is coming from 2-0 down at the Bridge to beat the Scousers 4-2 in the 3rd round, made even sweeter by going on to win the cup.

They got absolutely blown away in the second half by Gullit playing Hughes, Vialli and Zola all together. At one point Mark Wright looked like he was going to cry.

The only way it would have been better would have been if all those second half goals were in front of a stand, not a building site!

In the last 15 years though it has really lost its aura as the Champions League has become top priority for the big clubs with the money involved. However I think if any of the big club's can keep their head high over the FA Cup it's us as we've always taken it seriously as a trophy to go for. Unfortunately in that circumstance we get grouped with the rest of the big clubs who have shown very little respect compared to us to the FA Cup.

The last time I really "felt" an FA Cup season from the off was 02/03, I remember Everton (our rival for top 4) being shocked at Shrewsbury then we drew them in the next round and I was really fretting we'd get the same.

Initially I thought my diluted feelings towards the cup were because we suddenly had bigger fish to fry in the Roman era but many times this decade we have been out of the title race with minimul chance of the CL (or in last season's case not even being in it) and it still felt a bit meh. Even the later stages doesn't bring half the tension it should.

I'd still love to win it because a trophy is still a trophy but I think the country need to start accepting it's reduced status in the modern game, trying to cling on to the "romance" of the Cup (the draw last night was absolutely cringeworthy) when even Championship sides are sticking B teams out is doing no favours to anyone, least of all the Cup itself.