Chelsea vs Stoke City

Jase

There is a reason RDM has been playing Ramires or Bertrand in games even if they are out of position and that's because they provide defensive cover and track back, don't need to touch the ball very often, and provide real width (i.e. happy enough to actually stay in their lanes.)

The last thing they provide is "real width" lol.

On the subject of width, Spain played Iniesta-Xavi-Silva at the Euros - no width, won the competition. Man city frequently use Nasri-Tevez-Silva behind Aguero - no width, but doesn't mean they are still not a very good side.

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4-2-2-1-1 ... How is that different to 4-2-3-1 defensive cover wise exactly (aside from the middle of the three maybe playing slightly higher up the pitch as a second striker)? Sounds like the same with -- as you say -- Toure and Barry providing defensive duties. Much like how Lampard and Mikel are meant to do that for us in our 4-2-3-1.

My point is, we shouldn't need a defensive minded player playing in an attacking position. It's nuts.

]

4-2-2-1-1 ... How is that different to 4-2-3-1 defensive cover wise exactly (aside from the middle of the three maybe playing slightly higher up the pitch as a second striker)? Sounds like same with as you say, Toure and Barry providing defensive duties. Much like how Lampard and Mikel are meant to do that for us in our 4-2-3-1.

My point is, we shouldn't need a defensive minded player playing in an attacking position. It's nuts.

Lampard and Mikel are not meant to do that. Lampard's position is not a defensive one. It's the deep-lying midfielder which is actually geared more significantly more towards attack than defence. It's not absolutely necessary to have a defensive aware player in the attacking midfield, but many teams do have that and RDM certainly likes it (the reason he used Kalou last year and Bertrand and Ramires this year). Even if you decide not to use a defensively able player there, you at least need shape. All three are #10s right now and that's where they want to play and how they want to play. It is possible to change that in training, but it might not happen right away. .

The last thing they provide is "real width" lol.

On the subject of width, Spain played Iniesta-Xavi-Silva at the Euros - no width, won the competition. Man city frequently use Nasri-Tevez-Silva behind Aguero - no width, but doesn't mean they are still not a very good side.

No use in comparisons with Spain on the issue of width, they're simply on another level compared to any other NT. But they have been struggling a lot more because of Del Bosque's tactics.

City are very good but they aren't great, not consistently that is. Almost didn't manage to win the league despite Utd's major injury issues and Arsenal and us having a poor year. And they crashed out of the CL early last year and were very poor against Real despite scoring twice. That said, they make it work pretty well as they have a lot more firepower because they always play with two strikers and they have their fullbacks regularly pushing very high up the pitch, providing width.

Width is crucial. It stretches defences and creates space to work in. You need a lot of quality and great organisation to play through the middle on a consistent basis.

No use in comparisons with Spain on the issue of width, they're simply on another level compared to any other NT. But they have been struggling a lot more because of Del Bosque's tactics.

City are very good but they aren't great, not consistently that is. Almost didn't manage to win the league despite Utd's major injury issues and Arsenal and us having a poor year. And they crashed out of the CL early last year and were very poor against Real despite scoring twice. That said, they make it work pretty well as they have a lot more firepower because they always play with two strikers and they have their fullbacks regularly pushing very high up the pitch, providing width.

Width is crucial. It stretches defences and creates space to work in. You need a lot of quality and great organisation to play through the middle on a consistent basis.

Yeah i think width is important too, but not the "width" Bertrand and Ramires provide. I gave the examples of City and Spain to show there are teams that can make it work.

And we can play with Hazard-Oscar-Mata.

Yeah i think width is important too, but not the "width" Bertrand and Ramires provide. I gave the examples of City and Spain to show there are teams that can make it work.

And we can play with Hazard-Oscar-Mata.

Agree with the first part. Bertrand is hardly involved in any offensive play when he plays in midfield.

I'm not so sure on that trio working tbh, not consistently that is. Though it's definitely worth a try.

If we play defensive against Stoke we wont get 3 points. It might of been a good tactic back when we had the likes of Drogba but it sure as hell wont nowadays. We need to be play offensively and be quick. They will never be able to keep up with us if we do that.

Stoke aint shit. We need to blast them to make up for the silly 0-0 against QPR. Nothing but a solid win will satisfy me (and Im not talking about a boring 1-0 win where we score and then just defend and get lucky to not concede).

We should have enough to win this game against a physical yet ordinary Stoke team with a poor away record. I think Azpilicueta, Moses and Sturridge will play the Carling Cup game so there won't be many changes from the game against Juve. It's a shame because Sturridge deserves a chance soon. He was impressive against QPR.

Not sure I would want to see Oscar starting this game given that he has just recovered from his injury. Stoke's robust and physical approach might make it even worse!

This. Plus I'm going to the game on Tuesday so would like to see him in action then. Selfish I know! :D