Chelsea vs Stoke City

Jase

If Sturridge can't play in the Capital One cup, then we should get Bamford from the reserves to start that.

Piazon would likely play in front of Bamford. I don't like it but we could even try this false 9 tactic against Wolves. We need an option if torres and sturridge both get injured.

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Piazon would likely play in front of Bamford. I don't like it but we could even try this false 9 tactic against Wolves. We need an option if torres and sturridge both get injured.

Why not Moses? He played as a CF for Wigan in many matches and he was a CF in Crystal Palace.

Good point, Piazon did fairly well there in preseason so would not mind him getting a chance.

Now Oscar is injured? How many injuries are we picking up <_<

It was a pretty bad stamp by Bonucci, and the ref as usual did not punish the Juve player.

Just watched the press conference and RDM said Sturridge is getting back to full fitness but the Stoke game is too close for him... He also said if he's not fit for the Wolves game then he'll be back right after that.

So it looks like Torres is gonna start again *sigh* I don't think he'll cause the stoke defence any problems at all. The only way he'll do something is if he 1-on-1 with the keeper... And how often does that happen? Stamford Bridge is really small and it hard to find yourself 1vs1 with the keeper

"Oscar has recovered. He did some light training so should be fine. It was a spectacular debut and we hope to see it more often. We'd seen his quality in training but it was great to see it in a big game against brilliant opposition, we're delighted to have him here." - RDM.

Why not Moses? He played as a CF for Wigan in many matches and he was a CF in Crystal Palace.

If he played as the central striker for Wigan it was a handful at best, not many matches.

He is far better out wide where he can stretch teams and get more space to run at players. If we had to go for a false 9 then i would play hazardin there over moses.

I'd play

Ivanovic-Terry-Cahill-Cole

Mikel Ramires

Mata Lampard Moses

Hazard

Ramires plays better in the double pivot where he can make those runs. As Sturridge probably won't be fit, I honestly think we would do better with either Hazard or Moses up front. I am fed up of Torres' lack of effort and desire and think Hazard or Moses would genuinely be better options.

Then for Wolves midweek

Azpilicueta-Cahill-Luiz-Bertrand

Romeu-Lampard

Moses Oscar Marin

Sturridge/ Bamford

It's not just about resting Hazard, it's about our lineup. Oscar deserves to start and Mata has been rested a lot recently so should start as well. I think the three of them together is just too imbalanced unless they drop Oscar into Lampard's spot for Saturday (which could make sense).

Imbalanced? Man are u high?

Imbalanced? Man are u high?

No, real football is actually different than playing FIFA12. You can't just put on the players you like and say "go, play", there has to be some balance in the side and player roles. An attacking midfield of Hazard, Oscar, and Mata is too offensively minded, doesn't provide enough width, and all three want to quarterback the attack. It doesn't mean that they aren't all incredibly talented, just that right now, playing them altogether would be imbalanced.There is a reason RDM has been playing Ramires or Bertrand in games even if they are out of position and that's because they provide defensive cover and track back, don't need to touch the ball very often, and provide real width (i.e. happy enough to actually stay in their lanes.). Contrary to popular opinion, it's not that he's an idiot or a coward, it's that he understands that shape and balance are important and the players that would naturally give us that (Moses, Marin) were hurt or just recently brought onto the team. (and yes, he's conservative ).

(We could still beat most teams playing like that, but we could beat most teams in a lot of different ways. There's a logic I don't understand- when a manager makes a decision and the team wins, people will say "his decision has been justified". Well, not really. If Chelsea sat Hazard and played Terry instead at attacking midfield, could Chelsea still win? Yeah, sure, they'd still be favoured to beat poor sides. If they won, would it have been a good decision? No, it was a terrible decision no matter what. Similarly, if a manager takes a risk and the team doesn't win, it doesn't mean it was a bad risk. We don't have time machines where we can go back and play out every single possible variation.)

City didn't seem to have a problem last season playing Silva - Aguero - Nasri. They aren't naturally wide players who track back.

They didn't play that at all. Aguero was used as a striker.. Here are two different samples from games they played last year. http://www.zonalmarking.net/2012/04/09/arsenal-1-0-manchester-city-city-lose-the-midfield-battle-and-probably-the-title/ and http://www.zonalmarking.net/2012/05/01/manchester-city-1-0-manchester-united-kompany-tactics/

In the first, they are sort of playing a 4-2-3-1 with Milner, Nasri, and Balotelli. In the second, they play the 4-2-2-1-1 that they often played last year with Tevez behind Aguero and Nasri and Silva giving width. In that formation, Toure and Barry provide the defensive balance. This year, what they seem to be doing is actually moving Ya Ya Toure a little forward and using Javy Garcia, Rodwell, and Barry to rotate in and cover their defensive midfield