Chelsea Vs Newcastle

James

Match pointers

• Newcastle ended a run of 18 league games without a victory at Chelsea with their 2-0 win here at last season

• Eden Hazard has scored 11 goals and assisted 12 in his last 16 appearances for Lille and Chelsea combined

• Only Manchester City (47) and Manchester United (44) have picked up more points than Newcastle (38) in 2012

• No defender has scored more top-flight goals since 2010-11 than Branislav Ivanovic (nine)

• Newcastle have scored a total of 998 goals in the Premier League since 1992

The third point is worrying, just like the last one as they are looking for their 1000th goal. However, according to the fourth point, Ivan will save us with a goal set up by Eden. :whistling:

MATCH FACTS

Newcastle ended a run of 18 league games without a win at Stamford Bridge when they beat the Blues 2-0 in May 2012.

The Magpies also ended a run of no wins in nine in the league against the Londoners with that victory.

There has been a 90th minute goal in each of the last three Premier League games between Chelsea and Newcastle.

Only Man City (47) and Man Utd (44) have picked up more points than Newcastle United in 2012 (38).

Newcastle have only failed to score in two of their last 17 Premier League away games.

No Premier League referee has given more penalties since the start of last season than Phil Dowd (12).

Newcastle have scored 998 goals in Premier League history.

Papiss Demba Cisse has scored 13 goals in 15 Premier League games for Newcastle, but he has gone three games without a goal since netting a brace against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge.

Eden Hazard has won more penalties in the top five European Leagues (France, England, Spain, Italy & Germany) than any other player since the start of last season (8).

Hazard has scored 11 goals and assisted 12 (23 goals involved in) in his last 16 league appearances for Lille and Chelsea combined.

No defender has scored more goals in the Premier League since 2010-11 than Branislav Ivanovic (9)

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

Newcastle's 2-0 win at Stamford Bridge on 2 May was their first league victory away to Chelsea since 1986.

The Magpies are now unbeaten in their last four league and cup matches at Chelsea (W2, D2). That includes a 4-3 win in the third round of the League Cup in 2010.

Chelsea

The Blues' defeat to Newcastle last term is their only home loss in 2012.

Chelsea have not kept a clean sheet on home turf since beating Barcelona 1-0 in April.

Fernando Torres has scored five goals in his last eight games for club and country (including the Community Shield).

John Terry needs one goal to reach 50 in all competitions for the Blues.

Newcastle

Last season's win at Stamford Bridge is the Magpies' only win in their last eight league games in London (W1, D2, L5), a run which included heavy defeats at Tottenham (5-0) and Fulham (5-2).

Demba Ba's goal against Tottenham was his first in 15 league and cup games for Newcastle.

They made 112 substitutions last term - more than any other Premier League side. There were only two games in which they did not use all their replacements, both of which Newcastle won.

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hoping for a win today.

I know we will score, it all depends on how our defense and DM'S cope with Newcastle, as if We are not on top form defensively, Newcastle's quality will punish us.

I really think due to our defense not being great in the last 2 games, we really would have got punished if we were playing Newcastle/totenham type of a team instead of reading/wigan.

Now today we are playing Newcastle, and while we will score goals, if our defense is as disjointed as the last 2 games, i can see a draw or even a loss as a possibility.

However, we still are favourites.

cesar or moses on the bench? anyone can confirm?

Neither of them. They weren't registered to the squad in time to make it to this game and even if they had, I doubt Di Matteo would have taken either of them anyway because they haven't yet trained enough with the rest of the team. Azpi has one training session and Moses has none. I think both of them are involved in the Uefa Super Cup next week against Atlético Madrid.

edit: Slow as fuck, two guys beat me to it. :(

I would like to see Oscar Mata and Hazard and imo Torres should start with Danny as a good sub.

and by the way, am i the only one who feels annoyed by Cech's goalkeeping lately?

Cech is human too, let him be. He's still a world class keeper, his performance in the Semi and Final of the UCL last year proved that moreso.

Neither of them. They weren't registered to the squad in time to make it to this game and even if they had, I doubt Di Matteo would have taken either of them anyway because they haven't yet trained enough with the rest of the team. Azpi has one training session and Moses has none. I think both of them are involved in the Uefa Super Cup next week against Atlético Madrid.

edit: Slow as fuck, two guys beat me to it. :(

Think Azpilicueta might be on the bench since he was already signed on Thursday and already trained with the team in the afternoon yesterday.

Chelsea TV said Azpi's paperwork wasn't completed and sent in time for the deadline to play. And if thats the case, neither will Victors.

Fair enough then and not expecting Moses to be part of the squad today anyway since his signing was confirmed late last night. Cheers. :)