Chelsea 2-3 Man City

James

Firstly this match is by no means unimportant. If we are to challenge for the title, City will be our biggest rivals. Beating them would just send a strong message to English Football. Additionally it would maintain RDMs perfect record in finals, boost our confidence and could accelerate the development of the squad in its new structure.

Parking the bus as against barca and bayern is simply not possible as we lack a striker who can effectively play as left back AND score decisive goals. without Bertrand or Kalou we are also missing a relatively fast winger who can counter AND defend. Nonetheless trying to force our non-existent attack play on City is equally futile...

Silva has never really performed against us, but I have also never been excited about Nasri. At any rate, we probably have to cede the midfiel to City anyway. With an Essien in decent form, we completely dominated City in 2011 at the Bridge and comprehensively beat them, This time, Yaya and de jong will absolutely bully Ramires or mata off the ball fi deployed there.

Richards, Zabaleta, Kolarov, Clichy like to attack excessively. That is where were we will catch them, when their fullbcks are off position we have to win the ball deep in midfield and lamps can send out his inch-perfect diagonals for ramires to run after, storm forward and play a simple flat cross to the striker or finishing himself. Rambo mihgt be a CM esp a RCM, perfect for a diamond or 4-3-3 but in a defensive, counter oriented 4-2-3-1 he is the perfect weapon for the RW, as he tracks the fullback back, deep in our half and then is in the position to sprint forward when we got the ball back, can't think how often we scored because he was able to overturn the fullback.

The problem is, we don't have s.o. like him for the other flank.

Don't get me wrong, I strongly advise against using him regularly wide out there instead of signing a proper RW, but for the next game we need him there

To control Agüero (who I still feel should be here instead of Torres), we need our fastest and most mobile defender.

In this particular game, I'd also rather have Malouda or even Benayoun ahead of Marin from beginning. Marin is a good player, but anyone can skin a MLS-defender. In games as these, experience is more important.

At last, Lamps and Mikel are an automatic choice for the double pivot. Mikel and Lampard are most comfortable when they seldom have to move more than 10m in a faster tempo. ACtually, Mikel and Lamps conduct themselves to footballs as Cats do to water. They don't really like to stay in contact with the ball longer or even move with it even though they are able to do so, but they like to have it for a few touches once in a while, but swiftly get rid of it. Playing rather defensively will surely enable them to get the space in front of the box clean and lamps to build up play from the deep or start the counter

What is parking the bus?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fuck going defensive, with the players we've bought i expect us to play more attacking, again not like Barcelona, just like how we was under Carlo or Hiddink, is that too much to ask?

Can you imagine if we start having eleven men behind the ball? Oscar, Hazard, Mata, and Torres, all in our half... :lol: it would be fucking laughable.

This is the type of game where i'd want to see Ramires play on the right because there are sure to be gaps in the City defence with them attacking us. Going from pre-season, i'd play:

Cech

Ivanovic Cahill Terry Cole

Essien Mikel

Ramires Hazard Marin

Torres

Was tempted to put in Mata, but Hazard and Marin have already developed some chemistry and so i'd like to see that. Bring on Mata at 60

Cech

Ivan Cahill Terry Cole

Lampard Mikel

Hazard Mata Marin

Torres

Wouldn't mind resting Mata, but as its our last game before the season starts properly i would like to see hazard and mata get some minutes together as they will be playing next to each other for a lot of games this season.

RDM has to start with Mata. Look at how boring and predictable our game was in the pre-season without him. Chelsea's player of last season is Chelsea's best player atm, imo, so if he doesn't start against City then we don't stand a chance.

I know that he needs a rest, but against an opponent such as City he simply has to start.

RDM has to start with Mata. Look at how boring and predictable our game was in the pre-season without him. Chelsea's player of last season is Chelsea's best player atm, imo, so if he doesn't start against City then we don't stand a chance.

I know that he needs a rest, but against an opponent such as City he simply has to start.

For what? Mata will get bullied off the ball all the time as he is always against physically much stronger opponents or whenhe is not fresh. Against yaya toure and de jong he will not hold on to one single ball

For what? Mata will get bullied off the ball all the time as he is always against physically much stronger opponents or whenhe is not fresh. Against yaya toure and de jong he will not hold on to one single ball

So? Does that mean we should just keep Mata on the bench whenever we come up against physical opponents?!

Mata wont start, im 100% sure of that. This is a Community Shield game where lots of changes will be made, and one of the changes will be Mata coming on from the bench.

And I really want Hazard to do well in this game and show City and all of their supporters the quality player he is. Otherwise they will start with the "over rated, good that he chose Chelsea before us" talk! Come on Hazard! Rip em apart!

So? Does that mean we should just keep Mata on the bench whenever we come up against physical opponents?!

Of course not. Mata doesn't struggle against physical opponents, he struggles in the defensive counter-attack system we played late in the CL last season. We played it in 3 matches and Mata was poor in those matches. It's not a system we will be looking to play so it shouldn't matter. Mata shouldn't play a full match though because the game really doesn't matter. Better now than when it would hurt us.

do u forget the man city matches last season and how mata BULLIED kompany with his touches. anyways he was our player of the season and always one of our best players on the pitch in any match, against any opposition... plus pre-season has already shown how much we need mata.