Chelsea 2-3 Man City

James

I gotta be agree with him. Once you phase out Ramires from the starting line-up, which player (except defenders), with defensive abilities, remains ? Only Mikel. And there's not even need to start a "Mikel great / Mikel poor" debate to see that only one player to make the defensive duties isn't enough. Furthermore, against a team with the firepower in attack which ManCity has, you don't act like a kamikaze.

We aren't good enough when we are in possession to afford ourselves to play with only one defensive player. We will need time to be an attacking team. Hence, to ditch our defensive style of play overnight isn't a wise decision to make. If we don't want to be riped a new one, both Ramires and Mikel are needed on the pitch.

How is putting Ramires at RW gonna be of great help defensively unless he doesn't play his position correctly, yes he has great stamina, but really shouldn't be at RW, and not playing with Ramires at RW isn't acting like a kamikaze, it simply means that we have someone who is more adept to playing there... Unless you mean playing Ramires in the double pivot which is a different debate. Also i don't see your point of "Phasing out Ramires" as we have a long season he will have a role to play, we also have Romeu, who is at least our second best defensive midfielder... Also our defensive style of play which isn't that defensive, except we used that tactic in the champs, wouldn't be different except no Ramires at RW, which is not gonna go from being solid to being ripped a new one... Also there i see little reason to park the bus against man city, we have had a bad pre-season, which they have had aswell, they have got a more settled squad, but as i have sad in earlier posts, for me this is our last pre-season game and i would treat it like that....

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how much do you want to bet that Ramires starts? your either mad or know nothing about Chelsea if you think Ramires wont start on Sunday! he is so important to our team and gives us that extra man in midfield and is dangerous on the break! your are crazy to even consider leaving Ramires out of the team!

Ok mate, your telling me i know nothing about chelsea... Ok whatever, you clearly don't know how to have a reasonable debate. As i said imo, he is extremely important to us in a 4-3-3 in his cm role, however that role does not exist, RW/Ram is not Defensive midfield.... Playing any player there gives us an extra player in midfield, its simple maths as it gives us 5 people there... If you have seen ramires in pre season and last season, he is not his best at RW, now if we are going into this game with a highly defensive strategy then Ramires will probably play, however IMO as i have said we shouldn't do that and if we are playing a 4-2-3-1 we should have Ramires on the bench... Also Lampard should be able to sit in a lot more with better players who can create stuff ahead of him which he hasn't had in pre season as the likes of Lukaku, Meireles and Ramires have not been able to create much in attack causing him to have to play a more advanced role... If we have a team with Hazard, MATA, maybe Marin, and torres, then we will have more creativity and lampard will have less need to move out of his position...

Ramires as a DM works, because while the guy isnt too big, he is fast, makes alot of effort, chases down people and throws down tackles fearlessly.

However, as a RW, it will be a failure in tactics that us chelsea fans have talked about over the past many seasons. i.e. playing players out of position.

He is NOT a RW. Simple as that, and as a RW he will not offer enough defensively to discard the effectiveness a REAL RW will have while going forward.

If we have an effective RW, that itself will reduce the amount of defending we will have to do, this nulling the argument that Ramires as a RW will defensively sort us out.

What is his position anyways? I like him as a DM, but a RW?

No.

Ramires as a DM works, because while the guy isnt too big, he is fast, makes alot of effort, chases down people and throws down tackles fearlessly.

However, as a RW, it will be a failure in tactics that us chelsea fans have talked about over the past many seasons. i.e. playing players out of position.

He is NOT a RW. Simple as that, and as a RW he will not offer enough defensively to discard the effectiveness a REAL RW will have while going forward.

If we have an effective RW, that itself will reduce the amount of defending we will have to do, this nulling the argument that Ramires as a RW will defensively sort us out.

What is his position anyways? I like him as a DM, but a RW?

No.

I agree, i think DM is still a bit too deep for him, which is why if mikel is solid then it could work though he can't really venture forward much from there as it will leave it open... He definately shouldn't be at RW, and i would rather see someone like marin or hazard there...

Everything can happen in this game. Every team can make 6 substitutions in a CS game so I expect to see some changes from both teams. That means that we will see some stronger and some weaker sides form both teams. We have to take advantage of this if we want to win.

I really don't understand why people keep going on about us defending for our lives. We didn't do it against Napoli (2nd leg), Benfica, Liverpool, Spurs amongst others. It only really happened in 3 games and in 1 of them we were down to 10 men for the majority.

And the fact that it's been suggested that RDM only knows how to 'park the bus' is awful. The man hasn't even had a real chance yet.

Going out all attack on City would be suicide. Their team has stayed in tact the only difference being their top players are/heading in their prime. I don't wanna judge the team on pre season but the way we've been leaking goals left and right is embarrasing.

I hope Luiz plays disciplined and stops being a fucking clown because if he's up for it he's an amazing defender but if he's in Messi mode then god help us all.

First names on the team sheet: Juan Mata & Ramirez. I know the latter has been poor in pre season but I'll bet my house on it that he's starting. The lack of his technical and passing skills have been discussed to death but the boy puts in a shift and sometimes he creates that magic to win big games. Don Mata is self explanatory. Fuck a wing, he'll be in his preferred position.

Hazard should start, too. Some members expected him to take on players every time he received the ball and maybe the YouTube compilations of the skills and goals have let you down. In my opinion he's been very good during pre season and by far our best player. Can't wait to see how Hazard and Mata will link.

City are class and besides scumbags like nasri and tevez they have a likeable squad. Especially Kompany, top professional and an even better player. Even if we loose it wouldn't be a shame. I just hope to see a good performance and some goddamn effort.

Going out all attack on City would be suicide. Their team has stayed in tact the only difference being their top players are/heading in their prime. I don't wanna judge the team on pre season but the way we've been leaking goals left and right is embarrasing.

I hope Luiz plays disciplined and stops being a fucking clown because if he's up for it he's an amazing defender but if he's in Messi mode then god help us all.

First names on the team sheet: Juan Mata & Ramirez. I know the latter has been poor in pre season but I'll bet my house on it that he's starting. The lack of his technical and passing skills have been discussed to death but the boy puts in a shift and sometimes he creates that magic to win big games. Don Mata is self explanatory. Fuck a wing, he'll be in his preferred position.

Hazard should start, too. Some members expected him to take on players every time he received the ball and maybe the YouTube compilations of the skills and goals have let you down. In my opinion he's been very good during pre season and by far our best player. Can't wait to see how Hazard and Mata will link.

City are class and besides scumbags like nasri and tevez they have a likeable squad. Especially Kompany, top professional and an even better player. Even if we loose it wouldn't be a shame. I just hope to see a good performance and some goddamn effort.

I don't think anyone wants an all out attack as that would just be stupid, however i see no benefit of going into the game with a must win strategy lke the barca or bayern game... This should be used as a way of seeing how the players perform and the last game before the season starts. As you say the performance is important and imo it is much more important than the result.

If I was RDM, and thank god I'm not, I'd go for:

GK: Petr Cech

RB: Branislav Ivanovic

CB: David Luiz

CB: John Terry

LB: Ashley Cole

CM: Frank Lampard

CM: John Obi Mikel

CAM: Juan Mata

RW: Ramires

LW: Eden Hazard

ST: Fernando Torres