Oscar

themightyblue

Oscar really needs to improve. He started well but for the past few months has been very average. Shows a few good touches, but pretty much that. People can't really say he is one for the future because we spent £25m on someone who has never played in Europe before his move to us and we saw his other performances for Brazil, far different from the PL. But you look at Isco, younger than Oscar and cheaper and look what he is doing in La Liga so there is no reason for Oscar to slack. He just is not doing enough and I think it is another signing where we spent too much on a player who needs to prove himself first. Still has makings to be a quality player here but recent performances deserves to be no where near the first team. Hope he can improve and produce the form we saw on his first few games here when he had rave reviews coming his way.

Oscar really needs to improve. He started well but for the past few months has been very average. Shows a few good touches, but pretty much that. People can't really say he is one for the future because we spent £25m on someone who has never played in Europe before his move to us and we saw his other performances for Brazil, far different from the PL. But you look at Isco, younger than Oscar and cheaper and look what he is doing in La Liga so there is no reason for Oscar to slack. He just is not doing enough and I think it is another signing where we spent too much on a player who needs to prove himself first. Still has makings to be a quality player here but recent performances deserves to be no where near the first team. Hope he can improve and produce the form we saw on his first few games here when he had rave reviews coming his way.

I agree, he does need to improve and I'm not going to ignore that. But it would also be silly to ignore the fact that he has consistently played out of position. With players like Oscar and Hazard, we need to use them to their strengths. Benitez is not utilizing Oscar nor his strengths very much at all.

He started out well in the first few months because he was playing where he should

I agree, he does need to improve and I'm not going to ignore that. But it would also be silly to ignore the fact that he has consistently played out of position. With players like Oscar and Hazard, we need to use them to their strengths. Benitez is not utilizing Oscar nor his strengths very much at all.
He started out well in the first few months because he was playing where he should

Fair point but after all you are playing for one of the biggest clubs in the world and having the odd below performances is fine but this is on a regular now where he has looked out of place. I understand he has been played out of position but he has played on the wings before with Brazil and Internacional. Mata is a prime example. Best position, behind the striker, AM but even when out on the LW or RW, he still prouduces moments of brilliance.

Fair point but after all you are playing for one of the biggest clubs in the world and having the odd below performances is fine but this is on a regular now where he has looked out of place. I understand he has been played out of position but he has played on the wings before with Brazil and Internacional. Mata is a prime example. Best position, behind the striker, AM but even when out on the LW or RW, he still prouduces moments of brilliance.

I'm not saying we should completely accept a string of bad performances from Oscar, don't get me wrong. But some players are just less versatile than others. Oscar needs to be played in the centre of the pitch where he can dictate play. And I'm no expert on Brazilian football, perhaps @Rmpr could enlight us on this, but I'm guessing that being a winger in Brazil is much different than being a winger in England. Wingers are expected to be dangerous on the counter attack and put in a shift defensively in England.

Basically, we signed a bunch of players who are build for playing possession football, then we sacked RDM and appointed a manager who doesn't seem to favour possession football at all.

I watched oscar a couple times in Olympic. He was played as no 10

I'm not saying we should completely accept a string of bad performances from Oscar, don't get me wrong. But some players are just less versatile than others. Oscar needs to be played in the centre of the pitch where he can dictate play. And I'm no expert on Brazilian football, perhaps @Rmpr could enlight us on this, but I'm guessing that being a winger in Brazil is much different than being a winger in England. Wingers are expected to be dangerous on the counter attack and put in a shift defensively in England.

Basically, we signed a bunch of players who are build for playing possession football, then we sacked RDM and appointed a manager who doesn't seem to favour possession football at all.

Oscar is not a winger at all. On the wing either you have to be really fast, a very good dribbler or a good crosser. He is neither one of those.

My point was that Oscar is not a winger, so I'm not sure why you're telling me he's not a winger. :blink:

I think he meant your comparison with Mata is invalid because, despite Mata's best position being AM, his set of skills allow him to do well on the wings. That's not the case for Oscar.

I'm a bit disappointed with Oscar aswell. But he's playing out of position, his season started in the beginning of 2012 (because brazilian league's schedule is different), he has played a lot of games, including Olympics and friendlies with NT and he is in his first season in EPL.

So I think I'm not being biased here when I say his drops of performance are somewhat understandable.

But Brazil play with wing backs, he can drift inside to make space for their runs, they also played with two defensive midfielders that would sit more.

In Chelsea, we don't have quality defensive and central midfield in front of the defense.

such a talent being wasted... good going rafa...
Wtf?

Oscar is overrated. Brazil is in trouble if Oscar is the number 10 for 2014 WC.

Benitez became the scapegoat for everything that is happening at the moment. Oscar is playing the same football he was playing under RDM, and he scored his first PL game under Benitez.

He scored 2 superb goals in UCL, but nothing to be impressed about. I really can see future: he will return to Brazil, and will blame Benitez or another manager, as it usual happens with overrated brazilians that dont become great players.

Oscar looks like a rough player from the academy, he is not ready yet for a starting XI role in a big european club.

Wtf?

Oscar is overrated. Brazil is in trouble if Oscar is the number 10 for 2014 WC.

Benitez became the scapegoat for everything that is happening at the moment. Oscar is playing the same football he was playing under RDM, and he scored his first PL game under Benitez.

He scored 2 superb goals in UCL, but nothing to be impressed about. I really can see future: he will return to Brazil, and will blame Benitez or another manager, as it usual happens with overrated brazilians that dont become great players.

Oscar looks like a rough player from the academy, he is not ready yet for a starting XI role in a big european club.

I think you are way too harsh. I dont think Oscar is THAT good but he is good. His future is big too. I can see that something feels off with him after Benitez took charge. Maybe he needs more time to adjust, maybe he just isnt good enough. Time will tell and I think its too early to judge if he (or hazard or azpi or moses for that matter) will be good or not.