Luke Shaw

Joker10

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Make up your mind dude!

Now you're saying they drove up the price to keep us away? I thought a club this size can afford to pay that amount?

Face it, in the eyes of our Board and Jose, Luke Shaw is not the answer at LB. And for those saying Filipe isn't a bargain at 20m I would beg to differ because if Filipe allows Hazard to become a Ballon D'or candidate in the next 2-3 yrs his value will be considered a bargain.

It's not a case of 'making your mind up'..

I said we should be willing to roll the dice, the club can get it wrong sometimes though.. scared away by the pressure a fee like that puts on a player.

I'm embarrassing myself? :lol:

I know the CL is a step up but it's not a massive one like you're suggesting, at the age of 18/19 he's been playing against the big boys and performing well, in a few years time he will only improve. Chelsea, City and United were all seriously interested in him, he's a massive talent and to suddenly downplay his ability because he hasn't played in the CL is laughable.

Good lord... It is a MASSIVE step up when you consider a team like Chelsea are positioning themselves to win it! Its not like he's playing on Steaua... you have 6 group games, each one is MASSIVE. You could have a stinker against Spurs, City, Pool and still win the league; you do that in CL and you're out.

Was Chelsea seriously interested? Are you sure? We usually get are man if we are serious. And I'm still waiting for you to tell me a game against the big clubs where Shaw did more than just hold his own. For 30m you best believe he needs to have an impact!

It's not a case of 'making your mind up'..

I said we should be willing to roll the dice, the club can get it wrong sometimes though.. scared away by the pressure a fee like that puts on a player.

I think its more likely you're wrong.

And if it goes wrong? and I mean it could definitely go wrong. He's not tearing it up as an 18yr old.

Yes it could go wrong as well but he's done exceptionally well as an 18 year old and experience will only make him better. We could go on about how United have overpaid but the truth is they've signed a young player and thus have secured a position for at least a decade.(if we focus on the positive)

I am pretty sure he would have relished the chance to play for us but 30m is just way too much to spend now, considering we're going for a top striker and spent 27m on Fabregas. Or maybe Jose does not rate him.who knows really but I still think we chose the financial reason instead.

Also can't blame him for joining United as the offer(financially and for his career) was too good to reject for both Southampton and himself. Anyways, if we really rated him before this move then let's not simply ride the Shaw won't succeed cycle just because he moved to those shit sippers.

Good lord... It is a MASSIVE step up when you consider a team like Chelsea are positioning themselves to win it! Its not like he's playing on Steaua... you have 6 group games, each one is MASSIVE. You could have a stinker against Spurs, City, Pool and still win the league; you do that in CL and you're out.

Was Chelsea seriously interested? Are you sure? We usually get are man if we are serious. And I'm still waiting for you to tell me a game against the big clubs where Shaw did more than just hold his own. For 30m you best believe he needs to have an impact!

That analogy would work if he was playing in their league but the fact is he's one of the best LBs in the PL already at the age of 19. Also why does he have to play in the CL this season? United have Evra, Shaw can play the odd group game and learn from him, United bought him for the potential.

YES BECAUSE WILLIAN IS WORTH IT!

:lol: Ok.

Age aside, Shaw is one of the best LB's in the country (Gary Neville and co voted him above Baines & Azpi), we need to replace Ashley for the long-term, and we're low on home-grown players. When is the next 'proven' English talent going to come along for that exact position?. We're an english club, so of course it's important to have a solid core of them, for the culture.

YES BECAUSE WILLIAN IS WORTH IT!

It's easy to say that now.

Willian 30m-James Rodgriguez 37m but Willian is still worth it :ph34r:

I can tell you 10 or 20 AM that cost more money (maybe even more). Tell me how many left or right backs you know that cost 30M£ in the past.

Today James is the new Cristiano, or the new Pele?

I can tell you 10 or 20 AM that cost more money (maybe even more). Tell me how many left or right backs you know that cost 30M£ in the past.

Today James is the new Cristiano, or the new Pele?

Now is not the past, money is more inflated than ever before. Also the hype is much much bigger now compared to 5-10 years ago. Yes if this was in 2005 Shaw would cost 10-15m max but now because of hype he was always gonna go for 20-25m min anyway. 10 years ago internet was relatively new and hardly anyone check websites like Daily Mail...etc that posts constant articles praising players as well as numerous other websites. Also being in BPL TOTY helped Southampton's cause massively too as they could use that to argue that he is one of the best LB in BPL.

I agree it is overpriced as hell but MU had no chance, they don't have CL football so they have to overpay for Shaw and Herrera. Do you think they would go for them if Alaba and Kroos was available? You think they chose Herrera for 36m over Fab for the same price? It is not always down to them, they knew that lowballing won't work as they tried to get Fab last summer and chasing other targets unsuccessfully. If anything, they have learn their lesson by bidding a huge amount at 1st straight away so the selling club won't get annoyed. Rumor is that they bid 27m before WC and that was rejected, now they are going to get him for 30m which is hardly much more at all. Imagine they have started at 15m, Soton would be so pissed like Everton was with Fellaini last summer that would have probably demanded more than 35m.

Then there is the risk of clubs like us coming in anytime for him too. Luis isn't signed yet and there is every chance we could hijack their move so they had to move quickly.

Now is not the past, money is more inflated than ever before. Also the hype is much much bigger now compared to 5-10 years ago. Yes if this was in 2005 Shaw would cost 10-15m max but now because of hype he was always gonna go for 20-25m min anyway. 10 years ago internet was relatively new and hardly anyone check websites like Daily Mail...etc that posts constant articles praising players as well as numerous other websites. Also being in BPL TOTY helped Southampton's cause massively too as they could use that to argue that he is one of the best LB in BPL.

I agree it is overpriced as hell but MU had no chance, they don't have CL football so they have to overpay for Shaw and Herrera. Do you think they would go for them if Alaba and Kroos was available? You think they chose Herrera for 36m over Fab for the same price? It is not always down to them, they knew that lowballing won't work as they tried to get Fab last summer and chasing other targets unsuccessfully. If anything, they have learn their lesson by bidding a huge amount at 1st straight away so the selling club won't get annoyed. Rumor is that they bid 27m before WC and that was rejected, now they are going to get him for 30m which is hardly much more at all. Imagine they have started at 15m, Soton would be so pissed like Everton was with Fellaini last summer that would have probably demanded more than 35m.

Then there is the risk of clubs like us coming in anytime for him too. Luis isn't signed yet and there is every chance we could hijack their move so they had to move quickly.

Now... And 1 year ago, 2 years ago, 3 years ago... That new era in football started today?

Because there are 25 AM costing more than 30M£ that I can remember (Cristiano, Figo, Bale, Alexis, Hulk, Hazard, Neymar, Gotze, etc, etc, etc.)

Yes you can buy ALaba for 30M£ or 40M£... Today prices are really inflated... but not for Shaw. It's a left back, at the age of 18 that played 0 big games in his life.

Dont know how people say the fee is "excessive". this transfer could be for 10 years so 30 m for a position, where good players are rare is not that bad though. futhermore he is english, which increases the fee even more. great deal, we wasnt brave enough to go for it and take a gamble. would have sorted out our LB position for quite some time but well, we invest money in AMs which we dont even need. You have also to consider that they dont need to sign any LB in the next years, if everything goes right, so thats also saving money for the future.

United pulled off 2 great deals in one day. even if the fee is high, nobody will talk about if they will be succesful .

We won't, none of the top English clubs 'produce' English talent, you are living in a fantasy land.

THAT'S WHY they are going at such a premium.. because the small clubs know we're not producing them.

Well that's because of management instabilities.

If we believe Mourinho staying here for a long time then he will help bring in some.

Dont know how people say the fee is "excessive". this transfer could be for 10 years so 30 m for a position, where good players are rare is not that bad though. futhermore he is english, which increases the fee even more. great deal, we wasnt brave enough to go for it and take a gamble. would have sorted out our LB position for quite some time but well, we invest money in AMs which we dont even need. You have also to consider that they dont need to sign any LB in the next years, if everything goes right, so thats also saving money for the future.

United pulled off 2 great deals in one day. even if the fee is high, nobody will talk about if they will be succesful .

The guy still has a lot to learn. Even if hes there for 10 or 15 years or not you still remember hes only 18 right now. If he was available for cheaper than 20M and we resigned Ash incase we needed him then sure I'd have been happy to go for him but 30M? Thats ridiculous.

I get the fact we need an English core but overpaying with FFP being more and more influential on what clubs can do in the transfer windows, its better not overspending.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You