Eden Hazard

the wes

From the official site.. (Sorry if been posted)

HAZARD: A GOOD YEAR

Eden Hazard has plenty of reasons to be pleased with his first season in Chelsea blue, and is hoping to do even better second time around.

The Belgian burst onto the Barclays Premier League scene with some eye-catching displays, claiming two assists within six minutes on his league debut against Wigan Athletic last August, and quickly became a key player for both Roberto Di Matteo and Rafael Benitez, alongside Juan Mata and Oscar as one of the 'three amigos' behind either Fernando Torres or Demba Ba.

'It was good. My debut season was very good for me, playing alongside big players like Frank Lampard and Ashley Cole,' said the 22-year-old.

'It was good to win the first game of the season and help score the goals, first with Branislav Ivanovic and then winning the penalty. After that we had a bad run but we finished the season very well.'

'I played a lot of games. I missed three because of my red card in January, and then missed the Europa League final with injury, but apart from that I was always involved, I am happy with my contribution and felt I played well in the season, so it shows it was a good year.'

It was a season that ended with silverware when we won that Europa League final, and despite his absence from that occasion, he looks ahead to the forthcoming pre-season with excitement.

'I settled in quickly with the team during the last pre-season, I really enjoyed the trip to America with people like Romelu Lukaku and Kevin De Bruyne around. They were good for me, the other Belgians. After that they went on loan but I was feeling at home by then, and when Demba Ba came in January I was there to help him. He speaks French like me, and we are now good friends.

'The first thing to do in the summer, it is important to relax on holiday, and let our bodies recover from the long season.

'Then when we come back for pre-season we have some big trips, and it will be important to train well ahead of the season. If we can have a good pre-season we will go into the competitive games with confidence.

'We have some very good young players, Nathan Ake, Josh McEachran and Romelu Lukaku. I hope they can be involved with the other ones who are young but now also have experience, people like Oscar and Mata, who have learned from the older players like John Terry, Frank Lampard and Petr Cech.'

Some swiss institution made a list of players with the highest market value today

1 lionel messi 217-252 mil euro

2 cristiano ronaldo 102,2 - 118,7 mil euro

3 edinson cavani 58,3 - 67,8

4 eden hazard 55,5 - 64,5

5 sergio aguero 48,6.- 56,4

Source: het laatste nieuws

They only calculated players of the best 5european competions

There's a debate about to kick off (I think) in the Schurrle thread regarding where Hazard's best position is. May as well do it in this thread!

My opinion is that he is lethal on the left when he's on form, but quite a bit more timid on the right even when on form.

On the left it's no secret he's more of a goal threat. He can cut in with ease since he's hard to tackle and then he's able to take a pop at goal. On the right hand side though, when he wants to score, he'll often drift into the centre and hope a player (such as the right-back or Mata) will then cover his flank as he drives directly at the goalkeeper. This was seen at Lille a few times and quite a bit under RDM at the start of the season (although when he got into those central scoring positions he often went for the assist instead of the goal which surprised a bunch of us.)

If we're going to persist with him on the left and basically base the team around him we're probably looking at a future 30+ goal a season player, similar to Ronaldo in his freak season with United.

If we're going to put less emphasis on him and deploy him on the right, obviously he'll be crossing instead of shooting a bit more, so I guess we could expect more of a 'Figo' type player out of him than Ronaldo. (Maybe a bad comparison because I actually prefer Figo to Ronaldo but prefer Hazard on the left.)

I think more fireworks and 'oooo, ahhhhh' moments will come from the left, but more 'magic' touches with Mata will come from the right.

If next season we play with a forward who drops deep and opens up gaps between defenders, It'd be best having him on the left and trying to use him as a main goalscorer. If we were to bring in someone like Lewandowski (unlikely), Higuain etc. - basically a more poacher type player - it'd probably make more sense trying him on the right so he can start trying to whip crosses in and tally up his assists IMO.