Eden Hazard

the wes

Really think we should switch to a 4-3-3, the only one it potentially hurts is Mata but he's good enough to still be very effective on the wing.

Cech

Ivan - Luiz - Terry - Cole

Ramires - Mikel - Oscar/Lamps

Mata - Torres - Hazard

Even if Mata drifts inside, which he will and should Ramires is more than capable at covering for him.

Thank You. That is our best starting lineup, but replacing Romeu with Mikel as Romeu has bags of potential and Oscar slowly making his way to the starting 11. Don't think there is a better option.

After his first season, we all saw Ramires as a CDM. He's a B2B midfielder that covers so much ground and has so much energy, he's perfect to stay deep-ish and stop & start moves. Only from the 2nd half of last season we saw his influence as an attacking player but that doesn't necessarily mean he is an attacking player, he can do pretty much any job you ask him to do. I see him as a work horse that can win the ball and start attacks with his pace.

Football is a team sport which means all the players have to play in positions that will benefit the team and not just themselves. Hazard, Mata and Marin are all wingers that can play CAM. Oscar is plain and simply a CAM. Ramires is more a CM that can play CAM and CDM like Lampard. For the team purpose, the strongest team i feel would be this although admittedly i've never seen Hazard on the right hand side. He just seems to have the ability to do a job great job there.

Mata - Oscar - Hazard

Mikel - Ramires

Mata and Hazard can swap, Marin can come on and change things again. Lampard is gettng older, i can't see him playing much more than 20 league games next season, we have to look to the future now. This team is the future.

Mata - Oscar - Hazard

Mikel - Ramires

Tbh I'm not sure whether that midfield would work with Ramires as CDM. I think that Lamps should still play there alongside Mikel. We need strength and leadership in midfield, and Lamps possesses these qualities.

Not sure about playing Ramires as one of the double pivot. Need to have one of them as the passer, one who can control possession, dictate the game and switching play from one side to the other. Mikel can't do that, Ramires is not that type of player and while Lampard can do that to a certain extent, he's not quite mobile enough these days to be playing there everytime, certainly not against the big teams anyway if we look to attack them.

I totally agree with the:

Torres

Mata Oscar Hazard line up as i think when we have all our players back that has got to be the best 4 we have to fill those positions... The 2 DM's are harder roles to fill... Based on the pre-season so far i agree we haven't looked our best with Mikel and frankie in those roles, however, when we have that 4 at the top they will be able to do the vast majority of the attacking and oscar etc can be the ones to dictate play... In pre-season with the exception of Hazard and Marin we have looked pretty stale up the top, which has probably led lampard to go forward more to dictate play and make something happen, as Raul merieles, Lukaku and Ramires have been pretty ineffective in those more advanced roles. So simply put, our weakness in the centre of midfield could be a direct cause of our lack of options in attack, which when we loose the ball leaves spaces in behind, where lampard has made forward runs trying to dictate the play... Ramires in the double pivot is something we haven't seen so far in pre-season, so is definately something we should try out as Ramires' ability to run and his stamina should be suited, but i just don't think we should rule out the Lampard and Mikel partnership just yet... Definately think we should stick with mikel as we saw his talent and his age is still in his favour.. And my main reason is that Lampard for me has a much better range of passing and whilst doesn't have the speed or pure stamina, could mean that ramires may be more useful in a player to come on and boss the midfield in the latter half of the game with his pace etc...

And finally i totally agree with the highlighted section, as this season could be one of our longest ever, and rotation will be extremely key, so just because they don't start the first game doesn't mean we don't need them, as the strength of squad is the only thing that will mean we can challenge for everything we enter...

I hope we try Ramires in the double pivot role in the Brighton game but like you say Lampard's range of passing is far superior to Rami. I do find myself getting more and more frustrated with Frank thought when he advances, colllect's the ball and then just wastes possession with a shit pass when there is an obvious winger making an edgy run. I can't tell you how many times he done that last season resulting in me screaming at him through my tele lol!

Mata - Hazard - Oscar

Mikel - Ramires

Would work IMO, simply due to the fact that Oscar likes to drop in deep. This frees up Ramires a lot more.

You don't have to play 2 DM's in the pivot necessarily. That would be counter productive, and it's why Ramires and Mikel can work - Mikel sits back, Ramires joins up the attack, Ramires sits back, Mikel goes forward to provide an outlet for the attack. That's what a pivot is.

Ramires is a B2B midfielder at his finest, and a B2B midfielder joined up with a technically decent DM (Mikel) could work well. Ramires is the energy in midfield whilst Mikel is the outlet, with Oscar dropping deep from the right (which will allow Ramires to surge up on the right and go on one of his trademark off the ball runs with his pace) whilst Hazard provides the penetration alongside Ramires, which can then free up Mata in a free roaming role to organise attacks.

If RDM finds a way to marry the six of Torres, Mata, Hazard, Oscar, Mikel and Ramires our team could potentially be unplayable.

Ramires surprised me last year, so hopefully he can surprise me again by improving his passing and ball control so he can play in the double pivot this season to allow Oscar, Mata and Hazard to tear it up behind the striker.

I mean Rami's goal vs Barca, we go on about his technique and what not being quite poor but who the fuck thought he could do that...

Mata - Hazard - Oscar

Mikel - Ramires

Would work IMO, simply due to the fact that Oscar likes to drop in deep. This frees up Ramires a lot more.

You don't have to play 2 DM's in the pivot necessarily. That would be counter productive, and it's why Ramires and Mikel can work - Mikel sits back, Ramires joins up the attack, Ramires sits back, Mikel goes forward to provide an outlet for the attack. That's what a pivot is.

Ramires is a B2B midfielder at his finest, and a B2B midfielder joined up with a technically decent DM (Mikel) could work well. Ramires is the energy in midfield whilst Mikel is the outlet, with Oscar dropping deep from the right (which will allow Ramires to surge up on the right and go on one of his trademark off the ball runs with his pace) whilst Hazard provides the penetration alongside Ramires, which can then free up Mata in a free roaming role to organise attacks.

If RDM finds a way to marry the six of Torres, Mata, Hazard, Oscar, Mikel and Ramires our team could potentially be unplayable.

It won't work. You need Lampard or someone else creative there to create otherwise Oscar would have to drop way deep and would essentially put himself out of the attack. In the 4-2-3-1, you absolutely have to have a creative bridge between the defenders and the forwards. You need that player to be a link-up otherwise the system just doesn't work which is why every team that deploys. The position is not simply about joining up with the attack, it's about creating opportunities and if Chelsea rely on Ramires and Mikel to start the attack, it's going to sputter.

The other thing is that in this system, Ramires makes no sense as a regular starter. If Chelsea want to play ball-control and passing build-up, having a player who is essentially a counter-attack player is a waste. Counter-attack is a game of runs so someone like Ramires whose main attributes are speed and stamina, is incredible. The possession/passing sort of game there are very few runs in space, so you're taking away Ramires' number one strength. He's not a creative player and his passing game is very limited, and he's not a real DM either. He could be a super sub at about five different positions and still will likely be a pivotal player for us this season, but his game is really a poor fit for the direction Chelsea seem to be moving in.

It won't work. You need Lampard or someone else creative there to create otherwise Oscar would have to drop way deep and would essentially put himself out of the attack. In the 4-2-3-1, you absolutely have to have a creative bridge between the defenders and the forwards. You need that player to be a link-up otherwise the system just doesn't work which is why every team that deploys. The position is not simply about joining up with the attack, it's about creating opportunities and if Chelsea rely on Ramires and Mikel to start the attack, it's going to sputter.

Thing is, we won't be relying on Ramires and Mikel to start the attacks that often. Like I said, as Oscar likes to drop in deep a lot anyway, we'd still have someone to link up play. I believe Mata has the capability to do the same thing. I know it sacrifices their play in the final third but it gives them the opportunity to seek out Ramires, Hazard, one of Oscar or Mata and whoever's upfront alongside with Mikel, who has the capabilities to link up play as well in my opinion.

What I want is for Mikel to step up and improve his link play in order to compensate for Ramires' inability to link play effectively. I believe he has it in his locker.

The other thing is that in this system, Ramires makes no sense as a regular starter. If Chelsea want to play ball-control and passing build-up, having a player who is essentially a counter-attack player is a waste. Counter-attack is a game of runs so someone like Ramires whose main attributes are speed and stamina, is incredible. The possession/passing sort of game there are very few runs in space, so you're taking away Ramires' number one strength. He's not a creative player and his passing game is very limited, and he's not a real DM either. He could be a super sub at about five different positions and still will likely be a pivotal player for us this season, but his game is really a poor fit for the direction Chelsea seem to be moving in.

What has to be remembered is that we're not going to strictly stick to one playing style next season. There has to be variety in our game. We can't always play a possession based game and then miss out on a counter attacking opportunity or a long ball opportunity.

Many are under rating Ramires' passing play. Although it isn't as reassuring as others it's still adequate enough to allow him to do a decent job. Ramires will bring energy, pace and heart to the midfield, he wouldn't necessarily be a DM in the pivot, as I've explained before your pivot doesn't have to consist of two DM's all the time. He'd be a B2B midfielder, where he's at his best - joining in at attack, and helping defensively.

Bayern Munich have someone similar as Ramires in Luiz Gustavo. He wins the ball back for them, lays it off to Schweinsteiger, Kroos, Ribery or Robben. Ramires could do the same job for us as he is pretty accomplished defensively.

It'd be hard to implement but I believe that if RDM can pull it off we'd have a really dangerous team on all fronts. If he manages to marry a front six of Torres, Mata, Hazard, Oscar, Mikel and Ramires then he'd have done a superb job.

Of course during games where possession is more essential and is less dispensable, perhaps then Lampard could come in and provide the team a little bit of an edge in that aspect.

It's a conundrum but it is just my opinion that we need to find a way of playing our best players, and Ramires is certainly one of them.

My only problem with him is he falls down often with those slight nudges, i hope he wont be branded as a diver.

The reason why he falls down from those slight nudges is because he has such high speed and fast feets when he's running. It's nearly impossible to continue to stand up when you get those tackles on the upper body. I myself have a pretty similar style of play and for me it's nearly impossible, but it can also be to your advantage if the referee really knows how difficult it is.

Matt Spiro, a Ligue 1 expert, with views on Hazard, both Eden and Thorgan and other new French arrivals in the Premier League.

http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/news/news/overseas-arrivals-1-french-footballs-finest.html

Eden Hazard (Chelsea)

How good is Eden Hazard?

Spiro: He won Player of the Year two years running, he won the Young Player of the Year two years running before that and we’ve known about him since he made his debut at 16. He was a regular at 17 and it was really obvious that he was an exceptional talent.

So he has the talent to succeed in the Premier League?

Spiro: He has outgrown the French league and he needs more of a challenge to get the best out of himself. There are times when he hasn't been as effective as he could and he's very self-assured but I think that is a positive because he won’t be worried about sharing a dressing room with big stars.

Will he cope with the physicality of the Premier League?Where does he play?

Spiro: In his first few seasons he played on the left side of attack in a 4-3-3 but last season he was given a more central playmaker role and did very well in that position. He's two-footed, quick off the mark, and can go past people very easily. He's got a footballing brain and he can pick passes.

Will he cope with the physicality of the Premier League?

Spiro: He's not a big guy but he's toughened up and he no longer gets knocked off the ball. He's happy to get stuck in. He’s always the most fouled player in France by a long way yet he’s remained relatively injury free.

Thorgan Hazard (Chelsea)

What can you tell us about Eden's younger brother?

Spiro: He is seen as a talented young player but he's never been regarded as a precocious player like Eden so this looks like a signing to help his brother. Whether Thorgan will be loaned out or not I don't know but I think it's too soon for him to be playing regular football for Chelsea.

Where does he play?

Spiro: He's an attacking midfielder. Not in the same class as Eden but he was playing second division football last season and he is relatively inexperienced. Eden's side Lille were playing Champions League football last year and have been competing for titles over the last few years, whereas Lens have a very good academy but they are a club that have to sell players in order to survive. So this is a massive step up for Thorgan

Which of the above will take the Barclays Premier League by storm?

Spiro: Of the above Olivier Giroud and Eden Hazard stand the greatest chance of impressing and, as the price tag would suggest, I think Hazard will be the biggest success.

Do you think he will hit the ground running?

Spiro: It might take him time to settle in but I think Chelsea will give him time if the first month or two don't go smoothly. In the last three or four months of last season he was almost unplayable. I can see Giroud doing well but in my opinion Hazard will be one of the top three or four standout performers in the Premier League.

Hazard in an interview with Four Four Two.

http://fourfourtwo.com/news/england/105923/default.aspx

Chelsea new boy Eden Hazard is aiming to build on the club's successes of last season and bring more trophies to Stamford Bridge.

Roberto Di Matteo's side won the FA Cup and Champions League last term, thanks to victories over Liverpool and Bayern Munich respectively.

Speaking exclusively to FourFourTwo, 21-year-old Hazard explained that Chelsea's Champions League victory in Munich played a big part in his decision to move to West London from Lille, where he won the French title in 2011.

"I wanted to join Chelsea because it is a big club," Hazard said. "They won the Champions League. I want to be part of that."

"[Joining Chelsea] has been a great experience. This is a wonderful club and I want to do well with them. There is so much we can do. I think we can win a lot this season."

The Blues will be looking to retain their European crown in 2012/13, but Hazard said there are many tough obstacles standing between the West Londoners and glory at Wembley next May.

Although Chelsea overcame Spanish giants Barcelona in last season's semi-final, Hazard insisted they are still one of the teams to beat.

"There are many teams to look out for," he explained. "Barcelona has dominated the tournament recently, not to mention the need to keep an eye on the other English teams like Manchester United and Manchester City."

Hazard has been joined at Stamford Bridge by German playmaker Marko Marin and Brazilian starlet Oscar, and will also battle for a first-team spot with the likes of Juan Mata, Ramires and Frank Lampard.

But the Belgian is confident his versatility can help give him the edge in the battle for a regular place in the Chelsea side.

"I can play in the middle as an attacking midfielder or on the wings. I will play wherever the manager plays me."