David Luiz

the wes

3 hours ago, Henrique said:

Actually my "WTF" was coming from the fact Metro made such a big deal of this mistake, and there was not a single headline about Cahill's horror show.

Fair enough but the mistakes from Luiz wass just as costly. It does not surprise me that being a Brazillian you care less for Luiz mistakes lol

2 hours ago, Henrique said:

Really? So Luiz made a mistake as costly as Cahill's assist to Sanchez? Come on.

What happens here is clear for me. Since 13/14 season, when Cahill became a regular starting XI for English NT, local press tried to picture Cahill as a solid rock defender, while Luiz was this "non defender" player. You know, its not really amusing when the NT's CB is warming the bench for a top club. I remember Mouirnho faced questions about that when he came back and Terry and Luiz were his choosen ones. I remember  that the press strated to highlight Luiz mistakes. There was a defeat to Everton, 1-0, when Luiz was caught out of position (actually one of the Cahill's weakest points), and there were many articles about that in the papers and eve a discussion about that in Sky Sports. 

In other game, after a mistake, the TV was showing Luiz and then Cahill, Luiz, then Cahill, more like saying: how can Luiz be playing an Cahill on the bench?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2466358/Jose-Mourinho-Gary-Cahills-John-Terry-David-Luiz-Chelsea.html

Despite Cahill being no more than a Bolton quality player, and making huge mistakes in WCs and Eurocup, days ago Carragher said Terry and Cahill are ahead of Luiz in the picking order. Cahill's mistakes made England leave last WC after only two games, and this year, the team was defeated by Iceland (!!!). It took a huge mistake to local press start picturing Cahill as an average CB who dont deserve to start games for a team who want to be in the top again.

Its not something that only happen in UK. Usually local press overrates their countrymen. Another good example was that Game against PSG, when Ba scored the 2nd in final minutes. Terry and Lampard were really shy in that game, and there was a article in DM about how good and decisive both were in that game.

Now its happening again: last season the team was conceding goals for fun, and Terry was involved in most of those games, but now of course, the press is saying the team is conceding goals because Terry is not playing...

I have to agree.. Cahill is shit anyway i couldn't care less for him anymore! The press in England are a bunch of idots. Biased to the core.

Distribution was good but he should not be playing in the centre of a back 3. Seeing him as the last defender in a back 3 is too risky defensively. Should only play either side of JT along with Zouma. Never in a centre of the back 3.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Mustafa said:

David Luiz is probably the least respected player in the league.. even tho he's one of the most talented. He's constantly being targeted since the day he arrived. And this just goes to show how awful English pundits are when it comes to analyzing Luiz's game. The way they disrespect him even tho there aren't ANY English defenders that can do what Luiz did yesterday. He was absolutely pulling the strings. Pretty much dictating the game from sweeper. The range of passing, the bravery.. was being pressed by Musa and Vardy and calmly around them. His pass to Pedro right at the beginning of the second half was immaculate but they didn't even care to mention his name when he put the ball right on Pedro's foot from 70 yards. Imagine Stones did that? His free kick, the technique. WHAT CB can do that?? And just like every single Luiz game, they started talking - almost laughing - when he made a WORLD CLASS intervention to stop Vardy from scoring a tap in. They didn't see it as an amazing interception, they saw it as a typical David Luiz moment where he almost scored an own goal. 

All of these pundits played football in an era where all you had to do as a CB was to boot it clear and win headers. They don't have any idea what a modern CB is. 

Also, another thing I found funny is that Kante won MOTM. I'm not taking anything away from Kante's performance but he was his usual self. People are goin on about his pass to Moses... that wasn't particularly difficult and he's was doing that for Leicester last season as well. They gave him the award because our good ol' English pundits like the hard men, the workhorses and they frown upon the players who let their technical ability do the work for them. ESPECIALLY when the player is a CB.

Yup TalkSport had a phone in this week on exactly that - was Adrian Durham's show. 

I ignore them - I don't need their analysis - I have eyes of my own 😂😂😂

i actually thought Pedro should have got a shout for MOTM - it was like he had stolen the Russian Olympic teams breakfast - the guy was on a mission. Will always respect a player that gives 100% - I can ask no more! I love the fact we are playing with pride and passion - I almost see the results as secondary, just been a while since we did this - long may it continue :)

16 hours ago, Special Juan said:

He was part of the so solid crew on Saturday, he won't get praise from the media because they are currently under their rocks and awaiting his next so called 'mistake'

One for the people this performance, well done lad.

The commentating gets even more annoying...in the last game they were going: 'We haven't yet seen the "traditional" Luiz mistake' ...

16 hours ago, illmatic said:

The most brainless player ever. Could have thrown to shit our excellent performance with his stupidity in that tackle.

Yes, it could and should have been a red card but can we not make it as if Luiz is the only one who makes such poor tackle? Happens every week and they don't even get much attention. But when Luiz does it, it's all hell breaks loose.

It's unbelievable sad how much hate David receives from other non-CFC fans an media criticisers. Here in Holland we have this website called voetbalzone and when they posted their article about Luiz' return everybody was calling him overhyped, overrated, a clown, a pussy, saying he's not a defender not even a footballer to start with and mocking our boards transfer policy (understandable). 

But David always gives his all and he genuinely cares for Chelsea. That's why I love him. Yes, at times not the defender he should be and some silly mistakes, but so far so good! 

Say what you will about his mental lapses or sometimes dangerous play, somewhat justified arguments, but the lad is a proper chels through and through. I'm damn proud to have him in the squad and hope that he can continue this resurgence under Conte and claim the captains band. 

Had to go to the second page to find this thread... which just shows how his mistakes make him much more popular here and for pundits than his solid performances.

I used to be a fan, then I had some problems with some of his actions during the WC and thought him to be a fraud, misleading fans on acing his market skills and wasn't happy with his return, despite agreeing he definitely was an upgrade to what we had at the time.

Conte drilled this team and this system in a way that it covers for Luiz's shortcomings and allows his strengths to come forward.I've always believed - at least playing for us - that he was a big match kind of player, matches where he was absolutely focused and rarely made mistakes. It was the smaller games that showed his sloppiness time after time. It looked like he couldn't focus on less competitive matches as in he ones against stronger teams, but the system, as well as his positioning and actions in the pitch in the last four matches - the four clean sheets - have showed that Conte might have just figured out how to take the best out of Luiz. On his day, he can be as solid as they come, but the opposite is also true.

What I've been seeing in those matches is Luiz taking big strides towards solidness and confidence. With each new match he's been more and more reliable and the partnership with Azpilicueta (who's been performing on his newly found role down to a T) and Cahill have been beneficial to the three of them. Azpili is the seriousness and solidness that Luiz needs by his side while both of them can give Cahill some confidence. The more Cahill shares responsibility instead of taking it on his own hands, the less his weaknesses appear and that seems to be the case now.

Anyway, despite still not liking him in a personal level, I think as a defender, he's been steadily growing for us with the new system and let's hope it will continue for many days to come.