David Luiz

the wes

5 minutes ago, BlueLyon said:

Funny thought, Ramos is respected, but Marcelo on other hand recieved shitload of mock for his defending for years. Interesting, he is, like Luiz a funny guy. When you look all those videos about Marcelo or Luiz and then watch them defend badly in game, obviously people will make more fun of them.

However, Marcelo is one of best fullbacks in the world regardless. Luiz simply has bad luck for being CB because that is the position, you need to be absolutely serious or points get dropped. However he is not as bad as people think.

Unfortunately this is true. Some/many people are just sad. Let them enjoy life.

Agree with that last part as well.

1 hour ago, !Hazard! said:

I wouldn't be so excited for this deal but knowing that Kante is there to cover for Luiz, this deal might just be the masterstroke by the Board we've all been waiting for. I mean, Kante has made Cahill-JT partnership very solid again. I'll bet he will make Luiz look like prime Ricardo Carvalho. Excited by this transfer!

And let's remember that we were never looking for the best defender for this position but instead Conte wanted a world class ball-playing CB. That is exactly what he was given.

Forget JT and Cahill, Kante made Morgan and Huth look world beaters. I have deliberately kept a close eye on him in games since about April and Leicester's title win makes more and more sense every time i watch him.

1 hour ago, DYC. said:

Ramos is immensely charismatic and has scored big goals in his career but purely as a defender, he's not that good and that's my point. Completely disagree with him being miles superior.

You'd think him being a huge personality would work in his favour though. Look at Pogba, Zlatan, Ramos, Neymar (different personalities but big personalities nonetheless). All more loved more than hated.

Silva is top class for me (he's had some stinkers when he puts on that Brazil shirt though). Kompany is overrated for me. He was class for a few years (2011-2013) but hasn't been anywhere near as dominant as he used to be for years. Always disappointed in Europe as well. I will admit he was very good last season whenever he was fit though.

Read the same article and that line is indeed true. Luiz is a good player overall for me but a solid defender at best. Outside his howlers, his defending isn't the best overall tbh. Whether that's poor marking, being out of position, not reacting quick enough, giving away silly fouls and his strange decision-making at times when facing a 1-on-1 situation. The likes of Alex and Gallas for example were easily better defenders for me. Of course he offers other qualities they (or most defenders) didn't posses.

It all started that night he bullied Rooney in that 2-1 when he scored, since then the media have been out to get him and United fans have become almost deranged in their obsession with him, whenever he makes an even slight mistake those lot are on it like vultures.

Cahill is so much underrated. Luiz is certainly better with attacking and passing but Cahill is really good at tackling. Cahill has been a good player for us except for last season, I do think the hate around him is unjustified.

9 minutes ago, bluesman2610 said:

Can`t wait until we beat United with Luiz in the team and the look on Mourinho`s face that the player he got rid would come back to haunt him again like in CL with PSG

You can hate Mourinho for all u like but can u really blame him for selling Luiz. 50 M is a really huge sum. The fact that the money wasn't put to good use is justified but not really can the selling of Luiz be.

14 minutes ago, Tomo said:

It all started that night he bullied Rooney in that 2-1 when he scored, since then the media have been out to get him and United fans have become almost deranged in their obsession with him, whenever he makes an even slight mistake those lot are on it like vultures.

Good memories.

15 minutes ago, cfcs most wanted said:

You can hate Mourinho for all u like but can u really blame him for selling Luiz. 50 M is a really huge sum. The fact that the money wasn't put to good use is justified but not really can the selling of Luiz be.

Oh I don`t hate Mourinho for selling Luiz at all 50m is a huge sum of money, what I dislike is how he left our club so that he could join the club he really wanted if he was going to come back to the PL. It was no secret we were his second choice and he only took the job until his Manchester spot became available. He had us near the bottom 1 point above relegation, you can`t justify that with a team that less than few months before walked the league.  

27 minutes ago, cfcs most wanted said:

Cahill is so much underrated. Luiz is certainly better with attacking and passing but Cahill is really good at tackling. Cahill has been a good player for us except for last season, I do think the hate around him is unjustified.

that's why both are only good players, not even great.

One could argue that Luiz characteristics are rarer especially in CBs, which could give the team an edge, while another may say it Cahill's composure is a better quality.

My take is that they are at about the same level, despite being completely different players - both well below what JT used to be.

Same with every "top" CB. They all make errors but because David is so colorful, outgoing, and such a huge personality he's scrutinized and criticized more than anyone else.

How many times did we see Kompany make stupid errors the last time he was fit for an extended period? So many. Ramos is hugely mistake prone. Thiago Silva is considered one of the two best CB's in the world but makes mistakes.

Gab Marcotti wrote a piece for ESPN this morning about Luiz and summed him up perfectly - When he does well no one remembers. When he does poorly no one forgets. 

Hes a very good player the vast majority of the time and no one says anything. He has a single howler and its front page news. 

Link to article? Please :)