Benfica 0-1 Chelsea

Kieran.

110 members have voted

1. 1. MOTM?

Fantastic result against a good Benfica side. While they didn't have the ame class and guile as Napoli, they did pose a physical threat and looked more organised at the back and in midfield than the Italian club. In a season where they qualified top of their group, a group that also included Man Utd, it is an indication of just how good this result is. No the game is not over yet, there is another 90 minutes at Stamford Bridge and Benfica will have to come at it from an attacking perspective, thus opening the game up more and that could lead to anything but we will certainly be the big favourites to qualify now.

From the point of view of an away performance in the Champions League, you couldn't fault a single Chelsea player. They kept their shape throughout, they were well organised, they were resilient, they were very tough to break down and they posed a genuine threat on the break. On the ball some did struggle, Meireles was pretty average in possession, Mata failed to exert his usual level of control, Mikel was occasionally ponderous but all of that pales in comparison to how well each player did their primary task, stopping Benfica from playing.

In terms of standout performances, Ashley Cole was excellent at left back, didn't get forward very often but made some excellent blocks and didn't get beaten easily. John Terry led the defensive line brilliantly and also got a key toe to a ball that was destined to put Cardozo in on goal. Mikel shielded the back four well. Ramires ran his socks off, he lacks quality on the ball but he is a powerful runner and played a big part in the goal. Fernando Torres led the line very well, always an option, showed some nice touches and did wonderfully well to provide the assist for the goal, the more I've seen him play lately, the more I am convinced of his ability to be Chelsea's main man next season.

However my pick for MOTM is David Luiz. An awesome, all action performance. His style of play occasionally leads to a mistake but he is becoming far more consistent and he is capable or producing performances that very few other centre backs in world football could produce. At times his defensive covering was nothing short of Carvalho-esque, at other times his interceptions and quick tackling were very reminiscent of a younger Lucio. Another to add to his list of top class recent performances, he has proven that he could become a top quality centre back.

Just a final sidenote. I think it's pretty interesting how a year ago, the purchases of Torres and Luiz were thought to be a colossal waste of money. Now a year on, Torres ir providing a vital assist in a Champions League quarter final and David Luiz is putting in a world class performance at the heart of the defence, perhaps that 75 million wasn't a total waste afterall.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In terms of effort and work rate, I really don't see how you can fault the guy. Not to mention his great work ethics in tracking back every single time, very few in his position do that anymore.

This is precisely why. When he's in the side its like playing with a full back high up the pitch. A full back with poor ball control, mind.

I know there have been many negatives this season, but even when there is a positive staring you right in your face some still keep bringing up the negatives. Knock one off before you watch Chelsea if you're really so bitter all the time.

Nevermind Kalou, apparently getting the result needed also turns embarrassing games into displays of tactical intelligence and defensive solidity.

This game is easily one of the 5 worst I've seen this season and despite the inspiring performance by David Luiz we could have easily been 2 down in the second half.

That's a bit extreme don't you think? The effectively only had a only two real chance to score that Petr and DL saved.

That's a bit extreme don't you think? The effectively only had a only two real chance to score that Petr and DL saved.

Those two chances plus Terry's handball (which was a pen to me) look much worse when compared to the squat we created in the first 75 minutes and especially the football we (didn't) play.

Those two chances plus Terry's handball (which was a pen to me) look much worse when compared to the squad we created in the first 75 minutes and especially the football we (didn't) play.

Aye, i don't think we played well, especially in the 2nd half. We did well last 15 minutes of the 1st half though.

But we got the job done somehow, we played better at Napoli and lost 3-1 :lol:

hahaha wish we could play torres behind torres, he would score a ton of goals hahaha!!!

great result, but where was mata in this game???

we have run him into the ground...opposition know he needs to be targetted ,,,not rocket science when he is our main creator ,,,next is Torres

Robbie got it SPOT ON tonight.

David Luiz was unbelievable. It's a nice dilemna the club seems to have at the moment. I think Cahill and Luiz are the stand out centre backs ahead of Terry, but we are getting the clean sheets when Terry plays alongside one of them. It is certain now though that we no longer rely on Terry being fit every game.

Big mention to Ferreira aswell tonight. He is a solid, reliable defender and made their most dangerous player Gaitan look pretty ordinary for large patches.

Happy for Kalou scoring the goal. He gets bashed like crazy on these forums and somebody questioned what he did all game...he tracked back and worked bloody hard. At the end of the game their right back was whizzing past Sturridge the last few minutes, and considering Sturridge's pace he could have easily kept up with him but just coasted. This was why Kalou was preferred to Sturridge tonight and he put a shift in.

Torres gives so much more than Drogba, end of.

Top 4 is very slim now so let's concentrate on this and the FA Cup and start resting some players in the league. Ashley Cole and Terry could do with a rest, and Mata desperately needs a rest, he looks burnt out. Meireles or even Malouda can play the advanced midfielder role against Villa, or even revert to a deeper three in midfield.