The Roberto Di Matteo Thread

This is completely uncalled for. He only expressed an opinion which he is totally entitled to. You complain about the "quality" of the forum and yet you attack and insult a member just because you don't agree with his opinion..

Nah, this is just a cherry on the top of all the bullshit I keep on reading here. It has nothing to do with that particular member, because I quoted him for the first or second time. This is a general feeling I've been having for quite some time, and not just me but some other members who have been here longer than I have.

I believe the quality posters have stopped writing because they see no sense in wasting their time trying to prove some points to, and I don't care if you ban me now, idiots.

TC was a great place once, now its a shadow of that place. Go figure why.

PS. Cult of RDM !

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He have us the 'holy grail' in a time which could have been with disaster or good-willing. The knowledge which he has within managerial experience withheld us, but will prospect him to a more respectful career. I will always respect Roberto to over-coming the odds to gain what we have eluded with the Jose year foreword, but was never going to succeed due to the fact of lack of experience. Maybe one day he gain regain the same light he had, but he is always iconic to this football club - as a player, and as a part-time manager.

He have us the 'holy grail' in a time which could have been with disaster or good-willing. The knowledge which he has within managerial experience withheld us, but will prospect him to a more respectful career. I will always respect Roberto to over-coming the odds to gain what we have eluded with the Jose year foreword, but was never going to succeed due to the fact of lack of experience. Maybe one day he gain regain the same light he had, but he is always iconic to this football club - as a player, and as a part-time manager.

I agree, when he got the job full time my heart was saying it's fate we have found our long term manager in the most unlikely way etc etc, but my head has niggling doubts that just wouldn't go away. They were doing constant battle with eachother for the whole of the close season in 2012. Then when he got replaced by Benitez my heart was disgusted and spitting feathers while my head (begrudgingly) knew it was the right thing to do in the grande scheme of things, which was right as i believe Rafa left Jose a better situation then Robbie would have.

Having said that Robbie was the perfect man for the moment in adversity and he deserves all the praise he gets for his management in the interim spell, yes we had our fair share of luck in winning it, but the way he united everyone and we got on with the 2 knockout competition's was amazing. Munich was perfect karma or him and Eddie after having their career's cut short by injury problems, it really was.

But he had a completely different remit when taking the job on full time, almost a polar opposite of what was expected in the interim spell.

I hope Robbie gets another job in football soon and to say i will watch with interest will be an understatement.

And how well would Mourinho have done with last year's team? We've spend tens of millions since RDM left and really aren't playing a whole lot better. Do you think this Chelsea team would have gotten out of last year's CL group? Also, people don't appreciate how incredibly difficult Chelsea's schedule was under RDM (and how easy it was under Benitez). RDM managed us for 19 competitive game last season, That's just 2 fewer than Jose has had this season. In those, we faced Juventus twice,, ManU, away to Arsenal and Spurs, and Shakhtar twice. That's an insane number of difficult games and very few easy ones. People also don't appreciate how short the awful spell before he was fired was (i.e. how they obviously wanted to fire him and were looking for an excuse to do so). We beat Spurs away handily on October 20th. We played very well against ManU after the first 20 minutes but had an awful red which gave them the game (and an offside goal) and then we beat them in the League Cup. We then had a 5 game period where we went 1-2-2. (And not one of those games was an easy one. Losses away to WBA who was 5th in the league at that time and away to Juventus . Draws at Swansea when we rested most of our starters and at home to Liverpool and a win against Shakhtar.) The way RDM was treated was ridiculous and will always remain so. This year, we were beaten at home by Basel and we have terrible refereeing to thank for not drawing at home to Villa and losing at home to WBA. Are we better than last year? Yes, by a little. But we also added Eto'o, Ba, Willian, Schurrle, and De Bruyne since Robbie left so we damn well should be better. Managerial genius and fault is almost always to do with talent and money available.

I've given AVB stick in the past but fair play to the guy for jumping back into management to prove people who doubted him wrong.

Robbie's problem is that, with all due respect, he's not that great of a manager so why would he deal with all that stress when he's got a regular paycheque coming in? Yes he's a legend (moreso as a player for me, than a coach) but being realistic he's done bloody well for himself with that deal. Can't blame the club either because this type of deal actually makes more sense than a guaranteed payoff....so long as the coach you sack has aspirations to take up another job.

What's the dealio?

That is complete bullshit!

Of the last 4 managers we sacked, only AVB decided to go to another club while receiving payments from the club. Scolari and Ancelotti both waited until the undisclosed clause ended and they are acomplished individuals...

RDM did more than everyone expected and you should have more respect towards him. All he is doing is waiting so he can get the money he so deserves and there is not a single problem with that. He is not hiding or avoiding stress or whatever, he is only guaranteeing a financial stability before he resumes his career. Dont be a hypocrite and say you would also deny 130k/week to coach Fulham!!!

AVB only accepted the Spurs offer because he was so eager to prove to everyone that he could be at a high level and because they had a very competitive team. If it wasnt for those two decisive factors, he would be cashing in just like all our other previous managers.

No, I dont think Di Matteo is a fantastic manager nor I think he will be able to repeat the things he did with Chelsea. However, it is pathetic to insinuate he is bad and afraid to accept another job just because he wants his payoff.

Sometimes I read your posts and don't know whether you're agreeing or disagreeing with me. I can see you really want to disagree with me but you're struggling to find a reason to.

It's laughable.

Actually from what I heard, AvB was willing to go back to Portugal to keep his mind in the game.

He is an eager learner, wants to do his best and loves the game of football.

AvB was going to get a job sooner rather than later..considering the recent trend towards younger managers.

AVB is a manager. That's all he's ever wanted to be and he was always going to make a swift return because he's a stubborn arsehole. I dislike certain things about him but you have to give him credit for this.

Robbie was a footballer. That was his dream and he achieved it, but it was cut short by injury. Now he's tried forging a career as a coach and despite leading us to CL glory, I think he's somewhat limited ability-wise. Maybe he'll prove me wrong, but he doesn't seem to have this overriding desire to get back into management and prove to people that it wasn't a fluke and that's absolutely understandable. I'm not castigating the guy as some people think I am.

The way RDM was treated was ridiculous and will always remain so.

At the time, yes. But in hindsight it was probably the right thing to do. He was never a coach for the long-term and through no small amount of luck we've ended up with the right guy in charge once again.

I've probably said it before but the CL win was more to do with Jose than Robbie. It wasn't just the players like Cech and Drogba who were moulded by Jose that were key to our win, but the defiant spirit that he engendered in his time here and that survived long after he went.

Robbie deserves credit for what he did at a difficult time for us, but there's a reason he's not been snapped up by another big club since he left us.

Sometimes I read your posts and don't know whether you're agreeing or disagreeing with me. I can see you really want to disagree with me but you're struggling to find a reason to.

It's laughable.

What? :lol:

You posted shit about RDM and how he is 'afraid' of getting a new job and I quoted you defending him and proving that it isnt like that.

There is no 'struggling'. The only thing that is struggling is your brain that is struggling to find some sense inside it...

Since I have read the rules recently, why abusive language is tolerated here ?

To tell someone " you posting shit " is or should not be allowed, I feel.

RDM might have won CL, but Roman was not happy with the way Chelsea had won it. Don´t we all know it ?

When he gets 130k a week, there is no need for him to coach for now. It´s very simple.

If, and given the choice, what would most here do in a similar scenario?

Draw your money, no stress, no risk or take a pay cut of two-thirds probably(?) and run the risks that football managers take with their careers. It's a complete no-brainer.

Also take into account these are life changing sums of money in this scenario. If RDM wasn't already in a financially secure place before his appointment as manager with us, he should certainly be if he 'sits on his hands' and waits for the deal to expire.

It's exactly what I'd do.

Finally for those who put out that AVB has a different mind-set. He's allegedly on the same deal at WHL, only his salary is slightly lower with results based incentives bringing the package up to what he earned at Chelsea. No big risk taker or morally different than most.

What? :lol:

You posted shit about RDM and how he is 'afraid' of getting a new job and I quoted you defending him and proving that it isnt like that.

There is no 'struggling'. The only thing that is struggling is your brain that is struggling to find some sense inside it...

Where did I say he was 'afraid'. Again, i don't know if it's a language thing but you're really not making any sense. You're trying to disagree but you're really struggling to find a reason. Maybe you should stick to calling supporters who attend matches 'plastic', because you articulate that sentimentally very clearly.

Draw your money, no stress, no risk or take a pay cut of two-thirds probably(?) and run the risks that football managers take with their careers. It's a complete no-brainer.

Also take into account these are life changing sums of money in this scenario. If RDM wasn't already in a financially secure place before his appointment as manager with us, he should certainly be if he 'sits on his hands' and waits for the deal to expire.

Finally for those who put out that AVB has a different mind-set. He's allegedly on the same deal at WHL, only his salary is slightly lower with results based incentives bringing the package up to what he earned at Chelsea. No big risk taker or morally different than most.

I agree with most of that, but I disagree about the difference with AVB. I don't like the guy but he clearly felt he had something to prove after his time with us when he could've just stayed at home collecting his wages.

Instead the guy decided to spend his life in some grotty little shithole with smoke damage, just to prove his doubters wrong.

Actually I disagree with the part that says it's a no-brainer. There are people who would forgo financial rewards for the chance of (for want of a better word) glory.

Exactly!

But for some, it is because he isnt a good manager and because he is afraid to 'prove' himself....

I agree with most of that, but I disagree about the difference with AVB. I don't like the guy but he clearly felt he had something to prove after his time with us when he could've just stayed at home collecting his wages.

Instead the guy decided to spend his life in some grotty little shithole with smoke damage, just to prove his doubters wrong.

Actually I disagree with the part that says it's a no-brainer. There are people who would forgo financial rewards for the chance of (for want of a better word) glory.

There maybe are a few who have strength of character, or are already financially secure enough (more likely in my view), to badly enough want to prove themselves. AVB took very few risks because:

1. He'd had two managerial jobs, one generally perceived as successful and the other that was neither good or bad. Even if our role was in fact poor there's enough ammo for the scenario to be perceived by most as AVB just being the latest 'casualty' of the Chelsea managerial merry-go-round.
  2. He's inherited a good squad with a team that was regarded as improving. His reputation may have been slightly effected by his time with us, but not disastrously so. Proving doubters wrong may have been in there a bit, however there wasn't that much risk in my view.
  3. It would appear that he took little risk financially, and therefore my own feeling is that the Rottenham job was convenient.

Now, personally and only from what I see and have heard (which may well be scurrilous rumour) it sounds like he's an odious little ego-maniac with some nasty ways about him and this may have tainted my view.

RDM's scenario is a bit different in that he possibly knows himself he'll not get a gig like ours again and any other job he does get will be a massive step down the ladder in terms of employment package, that's why I'd do the same in his scenario. He'll get a job - if he wants one, at the end of his deal. It's just that it won't be one that's near the one he had with us. He's had his two years money from us plus the years on the deal he'll get with his new job, guess at 3 years. That'll be 5 years money as opposed to 4, if he took a job now - equals no-brainer to me

Edited by MHL 47

Nah, this is just a cherry on the top of all the bullshit I keep on reading here. It has nothing to do with that particular member, because I quoted him for the first or second time. This is a general feeling I've been having for quite some time, and not just me but some other members who have been here longer than I have.

I believe the quality posters have stopped writing because they see no sense in wasting their time trying to prove some points to, and I don't care if you ban me now, idiots.

TC was a great place once, now its a shadow of that place. Go figure why.

PS. Cult of RDM !

So there is more "bullshit" because there are less people who agree with your opinions?

Please remember that this is a forum. Everyone has the freedom to express any opinion they want as long as they don't break any forum rules. But the only member breaking rules here was you. So please don't curse at members who are only expressing an opinion.

Where did I say he was 'afraid'. Again, i don't know if it's a language thing but you're really not making any sense. You're trying to disagree but you're really struggling to find a reason. Maybe you should stick to calling supporters who attend matches 'plastic', because you articulate that sentimentally very clearly.

And maybe you should stick to discriminating against supporters who can't attend matches, because you articulate that sentimentally very clearly...but you don't, however, have the sense to back it up with anything remotely logical.

There maybe are a few who have strength of character, or are already financially secure enough (more likely in my view), to badly enough want to prove themselves. AVB took very few risks because:

1. He'd had two managerial jobs, one generally perceived as successful and the other that was neither good or bad. Even if our role was in fact poor there's enough ammo for the scenario to be perceived by most as AVB just being the latest 'casualty' of the Chelsea managerial merry-go-round.
  2. He's inherited a good squad with a team that was regarded as improving. His reputation may have been slightly effected by his time with us, but not disastrously so. Proving doubters wrong may have been in there a bit, however there wasn't that much risk in my view.
  3. It would appear that he took little risk financially, and therefore my own feeling is that the Rottenham job was convenient.

Now, personally and only from what I see and have heard (which may well be scurrilous rumour) it sounds like he's an odious little ego-maniac with some nasty ways about him and this may have tainted my view.

RDM's scenario is a bit different in that he possibly knows himself he'll not get a gig like ours again and any other job he does get will be a massive step down the ladder in terms of employment package, that's why I'd do the same in his scenario. He'll get a job - if he wants one, at the end of his deal. It's just that it won't be one that's near the one he had with us. He's had his two years money from us plus the years on the deal he'll get with his new job, guess at 3 years. That'll be 5 years money as opposed to 4, if he took a job now - equals no-brainer to me

The bolded bit is how I feel about him....but I can point to a few recently retired cantankerous whisky-nosed gits who fit that same criteria.

I agree with what you say about Robbie too. I don't begrudge him his payoff either because he earned it. I'm just being realistic about his situation - he doesn't have top four clubs knocking on his door and he doesn't seem to have the desire to go to a mid-table side and work his way back up again. I think that's possibly because there's a realisation that the risks outweigh the rewards when he looks at what he could realistically do in such a role.

And maybe you should stick to discriminating against supporters who can't attend matches, because you articulate that sentimentally very clearly...but you don't, however, have the sense to back it up with anything remotely logical.

I think it's born out of a childhood dealing with gloryhunting United shits who bought the shirts and took the piss but didn't actually have any discernible connection with the club.

In the eyes of several posters here, you do not attend Chelsea games personally, you are " not the real deal. "

I´d say to those, stick your opinion to the place where the Sun does not shine.

All opinions should be valued here. Some you may agree with, others you may not.

As for RDM. He was not good enough for Chelsea, at least to me.

Chelsea won CL under his guidance if one can say that, but played atrociously.

Roman gave him the contract reluctantly. Today, he enjoys 130k a week. Pretty good in my opinion.

You said RDM's problem is that he doesnt want to go out there and prove himself because he knows he isnt a great manager. What conclusion should one make out of that?

You also said fair play to AVB for getting another job and criticized Di Matteo for not doing the same because he is only interested in cashing in. Well, fuck that!

I am not trying to disagree, I AM disagreeing...

1) AVB was an exception because he not only had a good offer from a good team, but he was bitter and wanted to prove to Roman he could manage at a top level. I even reminded you that both Scolari and Ancelotti didnt accept any jobs until the clause had expired to show to you how RDM is not being afraid of anything, he is just securing his financial stability before he resumes his career at another club.

2) Roberto gave his all for the club and was still fired for no reason (our team wasnt good enough to beat Shakthar and Juventus, it was not his fault). He doesnt need to prove anyhting for anybody, he has all the right to cash in.

3) You are been a fucking hypocrite about it, no one here would take an immense pay-cut to coach a midsize table team!

4) I dont have any language difficulties, lol. I obviously dont have a perfect accent, but I am better than some British members when it comes to writing. So your pathetic attempt to get a dig at me wont work.

5) I have no problem is calling fans, who go to the Bridge and do absolutely nothing to cheer up the team, plastic. Buying tickets to see Chelsea doesnt put you in a special category!

Anyway, I am not getting anything out of that discussion. Keep with your outdated way of thinking and leave the members of this forum alone...

You said RDM's problem is that he doesnt want to go out there and prove himself because he knows he isnt a great manager. What conclusion should one make out of that?

That he's realistic about his own abilities. That doesn't make him 'afraid'. Do you understand?

You also said fair play to AVB for getting another job and criticized Di Matteo for not doing the same because he is only interested in cashing in. Well, fuck that!

No. No I didn't.

I am not trying to disagree, I AM disagreeing...

Oh that's very clear. You seem to have an almighty disagreement with not only what I've written, but also what I haven't written.

In fact your major disagreement seems to be with the plain of existence within which the words I've written exist, such that you've disappeared off to another one all together.

1) AVB was an exception because he not only had a good offer from a good team, but he was bitter and wanted to prove to Roman he could manage at a top level. I even reminded you that both Scolari and Ancelotti didnt accept any jobs until the clause had expired to show to you how RDM is not being afraid of anything, he is just securing his financial stability before he resumes his career at another club.

I really am not interested in this point, but weren't Ancelotti and Scolari paid off in full rather than getting the same deal AVB and Robbie got?

2) Roberto gave his all for the club and was still fired for no reason (our team wasnt good enough to beat Shakthar and Juventus, it was not his fault). He doesnt need to prove anyhting for anybody, he has all the right to cash in.

He was fired for the same reason he couldn't get a job before we hired him, and for the same reason he hasn't been given a 'top' job since....the perception is that he's not a top-class manager.

3) You are been a fucking hypocrite about it, no one here would take an immense pay-cut to coach a midsize table team!

On this I disagree. I think there are plenty of people who have the drive and determination to prove their worth in a role that they would take a financial hit for a chance at glory or enhancement of their reputation.

Considering you know fuck all about my life and employment history (unless someone's been divulging more of my personal info) you're really not in a position to call me a hypocrite, but that's more semantics than anything else....continue.

4) I dont have any language difficulties, lol. I obviously dont have a perfect accent, but I am better than some British members when it comes to writing. So your pathetic attempt to get a dig at me wont work.

:yes:

(no gold star emoticon).

5) I have no problem is calling fans, who go to the Bridge and do absolutely nothing to cheer up the team, plastic. Buying tickets to see Chelsea doesnt put you in a special category!

Apparently it puts you in the category where some boy in Brazil can sit at his keyboard and call you plastic. Personally I see blokes who have been going to the Bridge for years who turned up in hailstorms to watch us play Southampton when it wasn't the cool thing to do - I wouldn't label them plastic....but then I rarely take my keyboard to matches to hide behind.

Anyway, I am not getting anything out of that discussion. Keep with your outdated way of thinking and leave the members of this forum alone...

And you leave the supporters in the stands alone. Deal. :yes: