The Roberto Di Matteo Thread

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See the 'excellent' post from @Styles below you - that's why he didn't take that job... :)

He needs a WBA or equivalent, or maybe an Italian team...

Seems like weird logic to me. A club like WBA... the same WBA that sacked him? He's as much chance of getting sacked by a mid-table club as PSG; actually probably more likely as he won't have a dream team to play with.

He turned down PSG? Why would he turn down such an easy job?

Easy? You realize that there's a lot of pressure on the manager to succeed (not only domestically), but also in Europe? One bad season and I bet Carlo's out the door.

Google Translate at it's finest:

Roberto Di Matteo speaks very rarely. But the Italian coach has agreed to break the silence to France Football. He was speaking at his home in London, evoking feelings of many themes. "There have been contacts with PSG," he says in particular. Here are some additional excerpts.

"Roberto, within a year, we will see you on a bench?

Yeah, I really do. I'm ready, I'm ready. For a good project. Did you cry when you were relieved of your duties at Chelsea on November 21, 2012? This is a personal question that I do not want to answer. You might as successful if you had stayed at the head Team? I really think so. Yes, yes. I am convinced. I was convinced that changing the type of game would have borne fruit. But it became very difficult to work for a coach. Coaches remain in place very shortly: a season, eighteen months.This is an exception to successfully stay three years in a club. How would you describe Roman Abramovich? Beyond football, the boss is a nice person with whom you can be good. The boss is basically a good person, beyond everything. I am in no way angry against the boss. The summer of 2011, I told him that the C1 is win. When we won it, I reminded him to Munich (where the final) .

"Both games models for me, compared to my way of seeing football is our success at Tottenham (4-2, 20 October 2012) and Arsenal (2-1, Sept. 29, 2012)"

Abramovich he thanked you in the locker room after the coronation in Munich against Bayern (1-1, 4-3 on pens)?

He was very happy with everyone. It was a historic night for Chelsea. The first time the club won the C1, that with this victory we qualified for the Champions League next season.Much has been partying. You drank vodka or champagne that night? Neither one nor the other. I do not drink champagne. I remember very well have drunk wine, Tignanello. This will be a pride for life have been the first Chelsea coach to win the C1 with this club? Absolutely, yes. It will always remain in the club's history. And that no one remove. I'm proud of what I did at Chelsea, footprint I left with people, tifosi, the club, some players. Your victory against Napoli in the second round back in 2012 C1 (4-1 aet), after losing 3-1 in the first leg does not match the reference for you as a coach? Grinta incredible, total football! Not. Both models match for me, compared to my way of seeing football is our success at Tottenham (4-2, 20 October 2012) and Arsenal (2-1, 29 September 2012). At the Emirates, had controlled the game with the three amigos, Mata, Hazard, Oscar. The previous season, I took the team in March, there was no time to implement new things.

"The rebirth of the three-man defense, it's an interesting thing"

You think being an offensive coach?

Oh. Unfortunately, people have focused on two or three of our matches (semi-final against Barcelona C1 and the final against Bayern, ed) . Is there something tactical and you look forward to? In recent years, there has been the revival of the three-man defense, it's an interesting thing. We must wait for confirmation as to whether it can be a winning system at the highest international level. Juve just won two Scudetti on with this device, even if it had started with four men behind in 2011. Naples also plays with a three-man defense. Is Mazzarri and continue to Inter? Zola did this to Watford. I, as a coach, I've always used the back four.

"My main quality as a coach? Involving the team in a project, to make them believe in a project "

You play three behind when you return coach?

I do not know. I am trying to follow it, see if it can be valid.What is your main quality as a coach? Involving the team in a project, to believe in a project. And the relationship of respect that I have with the players. I am still in contact with a lot of players with whom I worked. Among the delicate things in your life, it's your sister, five years older than you, who is not flashy ... My sister was born psychic. But due to retinitis pigmentosa, detected when she was twelve years old, his eyesight deteriorated. And three-four years after she lost her sight. At the time, I was young, I did not understand the situation. For my parents, it was tragic. My sister lives in Italy, she has a job, a family, a child. When I played in Chelsea, she had often attend my matches at the stadium. The final of the C1 in Munich, she followed him watching TV with my mom. For me, the strength that you can find in your family, this is the base. I'm in a close-knit family, it was very important. We hope that researchers discovered a method to make the blind see, we closely follow the latest technologies. " Interview by Yoann Riou, London Read this Tuesday in France Football, following the interview with Roberto Di Matteo: "I'm not a utopian."

Easy? You realize that there's a lot of pressure on the manager to succeed (not only domestically), but also in Europe? One bad season and I bet Carlo's out the door.

why didn't he turn down the Chelsea job then?

• 3 months later...

Chelsea still paying Di Matteo £130,000 a week despite sacking manager last year

And he's also now being linked to replace Martin Jol at Fulham..

And he deserves every penny. He made history for this club and, because of that, also made millions for the rebuilding process. He could sit on that contract until the last day and manage a rival club for all I care, he's still an absolute Legend...unlike AVB who did sit on a similar contract but thankfully got the Tottenham job as soon as he could, which gave me another reason to continue to dislike him.

I know we won the champs league whilst he was in charge but he had very little to do with it. All we did was play with 11 men behind the ball and got a few lucky goals. We were so lucky it was unbelievable. Even in the final you could see it was terry giving the team instructictions while di Matteo stood there looking scared and way out out of his depth. Wish people would stop licking his arse.

I know we won the champs league whilst he was in charge but he had very little to do with it. All we did was play with 11 men behind the ball and got a few lucky goals. We were so lucky it was unbelievable. Even in the final you could see it was terry giving the team instructictions while di Matteo stood there looking scared and way out out of his depth. Wish people would stop licking his arse.

Excuse me, but do you realize what you have started here ? :halo: