Non-Chelsea Transfer Pub

Hamilton

3 hours ago, the wes said:

I hope Mikel one them outs to china

mikel? oscar( at right price)? pedro? ivanovic? salah? marin? cuadrado? van ginkel? remy? falcao? moses? piazon? omereo? and others! for me should be sold all of them! china or not china xD

We can quite easily raise a bit of cash in the summer. 

At GK:

- Lets try and flog Amelia for something. 

That leaves us with Courtois & Begovic. Preferably bring in a HG player to cover the 3rd spot, so we have more space for foreign players in the outfield squad.

Defence:

Not a lot to move around here because we lack a couple of players already but if I could I'd sell Ivanovic, recoup some money from Baba by selling him as well. That leaves us with Azpilicueta, Zouma, Cahill, JT (if we resign him), Miazga and really allows us to shuffle the defence properly. I'd be looking to bring in a left back that we'll actually play, and maybe someone like Stones who can play in the middle and also cover the RB spot decently. 

Central Midfield:

Interesting reshuffle could happen here, and we've started well by selling Ramires IMO. We should possibly sell on Mikel as well and bring in a few midfielders to compete with the rest. That would leave Fabregas, Matic, RLC. We now have scope to bring one or two in who will compete with those guys, specifically with Matic who I'm having second thoughts about. A very solid DM and maybe a good B2B midfielder would help. Someone like Rubén Neves would be great.

Attacking midfield:

Got a good bunch of players here, some out on loan too. At the moment we've got Hazard, Willian, Pedro, Oscar, Kenedy. We've also got young gems like Musonda and Boga out on loan. Cuadrado too, but hopefully we sell him. I'd be interested in selling Oscar too because I think he'd get in quite a bit of money for us - then we can truly upgrade on him with a proper #10. Someone like Isco would be ideal. Next season we could have something like Hazard, Willian, Pedro, Kenedy, Isco and Musonda/Boga as our options. That would be great. 

Forwards:

An interesting conundrum here. We've got Costa, who's easily world class when on form, and then a couple of slightly above average players. Gap between first & second choice is quite big unfortunately. I'd be looking to shift Remy and Falcao, and Pato if his loan doesn't work out. Promote Traore to 3rd choice and get in a good 2nd choice striker - someone with a different skill set that is versatile, that could play with our main striker and compete. Berahino is a pretty interesting option possibly? I don't know. 

All in all, my sell list would be:

Amelia

Ivanovic

Baba

Mikel

Oscar

Remy

Falcao

A couple of loanees that I don't think will ever make it here:

Cuadrado

Pasalic

Bamford

Djilobodji

Atsu 

Moses

Van Ginkel

Piazon

Omeruo 

Hector

Plus some more irrelevant players...

The squad for next season should ideally look something like this:

GK:

Courtois, Begovic, x

DF:

Azpi, Zouma, JT, Miazga, Cahill, x, x

CMF:

Fabregas, Matic, RLC, x, x

AMF:

Hazard, Willian, Pedro, Kenedy, Musonda/Boga, x

FW:

Costa, Traore, x

So, that's a total of 6 players we need to buy - with us letting go of around 17(!) to fund that if possible. Of course this is in an ideal world. We'd have to bring in the right players, and the squad could easily be very competitive again. Very easily. 

20 hours ago, The Skipper said:

GK:

Courtois, Begovic, Collins

DF:

Azpi, Zouma, JT, Miazga, Cahill, Stones, Rodriguez,

CMF:

Fabregas, Matic, RLC, Neves, Matuidi

AMF:

Hazard, Willian, Pedro, Kenedy, Musonda/Boga, Gotze

FW:

Costa, Traore, Lacazette

what do u think of that squad mate???

6 hours ago, the wes said:

what do u think of that squad mate???

Brilliant squad and I would rate such a summer as 100/100. Unfortunately the way we are going currently as a club, I simply cant see having the pull of getting the gotzes and matuidis of the world. I dont think stones is a distinct possibility, since he would cost 50million pounds+. Someone like marquinhos/inigo martinez seems more plausible. 

Another thing is that, I would put pedro on the out list too. Honestly feel moses is better in the long run.

On 03/02/2016 at 8:22 PM, Spike said:

Buying world class players and shoving them into the team is so stupid and is entirely unsustainable.

Don't tell Barcalona. Or Paris. Or Munich. Or Madrid. I'm guessing that you probably mean unsustainable for us which may be so of course.

Personally I don't think our problem has been the category of player we have signed, our problem is the quality. It matters not if a new arrival if reputedly World class or regarded as a nobody. What matters is how good a player he is. Get that right and not much else is going to matter. As Real Madrid's bosses say, it's the expensive superstars that work out to be the best value for money.

That said I have long held the view that we should not pay superstar fees for anyone. I say this because of the belief that such players would be wanted by one of the clubs higher up the food chain and they would always prefer joining one of those teams over Chelsea. If we get 'em it's because none of the dream clubs want them badly enough and if they are not wanted there's a reason for that. In terms of recruits for the first team, we seem to be addicted to names. Names are known quantities. They either have the requisite quality and the dream clubs will nab them or they don't and we'd be wasting our money anyway.

We need to shop smarter and that means finding the superstar players before they have identified themselves as such. Easier said than done but we seem to be especially bad at it. Look at the scores of never had a hope of reaching Chelsea level players who have populated the loan army.

5 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Don't tell Barcalona. Or Paris. Or Munich. Or Madrid. I'm guessing that you probably mean unsustainable for us which maybe so of course.

Personally I don't think our problem has been the category of player we have signed, our problem is the quality. It matters not if a new arrival if reputedly World class or regarded as a nobody. What matters is how good a player he is. Get that right and not much else is going to matter. As Real Madrid's bosses say, it's the expensive superstars that work out to be the best value for money.

That said I have long held the view that we should not pay superstar fees for anyone. I say this because of the belief that such players would be wanted by one of the clubs higher up the food chain and they would always prefer joining one of those clubs over Chelsea. If we get 'em it's because none of the dream clubs want them badly enough and if they are not wanted there's a reason for that. In terms of recruits for the first team, we seem to be addicted to names. Names are known quantities. They either have the requisite quality and the dream clubs will nab them or they don't and we'd be wasting our money anyway.

We need to shop smarter and that means finding the superstar players before they have identified themselves as such. Easier said than done but we seem to be especially bad at it. Look at the scores of never had a hope of reaching Chelsea level players who have populated the loan army.

Barcelona don't do that. They haven't done that since Ibrahimovic. 

11 minutes ago, Spike said:

Barcelona don't do that. They haven't done that since Ibrahimovic. 

Suarez? Neymar? Even Rakitic, Ter Stagen & Sanchez? Bear in mind too that they have been stuffed with a freakish number of home grown superstars. That won't happen again and to maintain their status they will shop even more prolifically than they already do now.

2 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Suarez? Neymar? Even Rakitic, Ter Stagen & Sanchez? Bear in mind too that they have been stuffed with a freakish number of home grown superstars. That won't happen again and to maintain their status they will shop even more prolifically than they already do now.

What!? You actually believe none of those players fit within the philosophy at Barcelona? They fit like a glove, it's uncanny how perfect those players are for that team, they haven't been shoved into any team. If you think they Barcelona bought Suarez and Neymar because of their fame, then you are dead wrong. Barcelona signed two superstars that are absolutely perfect for their team, which is completely different from say a club like Real Madrid that signs players purely on the waves they make on the media. 

7 minutes ago, Spike said:

What!? You actually believe none of those players fit within the philosophy at Barcelona? They fit like a glove, it's uncanny how perfect those players are for that team, they haven't been shoved into any team. If you think they Barcelona bought Suarez and Neymar because of their fame, then you are dead wrong. Barcelona signed two superstars that are absolutely perfect for their team, which is completely different from say a club like Real Madrid that signs players purely on the waves they make on the media. 

I'm talking about buying 'good' players regardless of whether they are superstars or not. My argument in that initial post is that if you buy quality then whether they are superstars or not isn't going to matter. Barca didn't buy Ibra because they thought he was a superstar, they bought him because they thought he was better than what they had. Just because they were not proved entirely correct does not mean their motives shoud be recategorised. They just got it right with Suarez and slightly wrong with Ibra. Exact same motives however.

4 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

I'm talking about buying 'good' players regardless of whether they are superstars or not. My argument in that initial post is that if you buy quality then whether they are a superstar or not is not going to matter. Barca didn't buy Ibra because they thought he was a superstar, they bought him because they thought he was better than what they had. Just because they were not proved entirely correct does not mean their motives shoud be recategorised. They just got it right with Suarez and slightly wrong with Ibra. Exact same motives however.

I think you have misunderstood every single post I've made. I honestly believe you are debating against a point I never made.

My original post was a criticism of buying players simply because they are famous or perceived as world class without considering how they fit within a team, philosophy and formation. You said 'tell that to Barcelona' when that is something Barcelona doesn't do.

No, you are completely wrong on the Ibrahimovic and Suarez transfers. Ibrahimovic was bought to be a Plan B; in other words to provide a different approach to offence, not because he was 'better' than what they had. Suarez however was the missing forward they needed for their starting XI. The underlying motivation is completely different.

9 minutes ago, Spike said:

I think you have misunderstood every single post I've made. I honestly believe you are debating against a point I never made.

My original post was a criticism of buying players simply because they are famous or perceived as world class without considering how they fit within a team, philosophy and formation.

But who does that though? Who looks at a player and thinks, he's completely wrong for us but he's a superstar so lets buy him? Chinese or MLS clubs maybe and what's more they are right because what they need from a player is different to the requirements of key clubs in Europe.