Chelsea 0-0 Fulham [4-3 pens]

James

Guest justin_3d

• Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest justin_3d

After watching the first half again, i have to point something out i did not say before, and that is that Sturridge is sort of like Malouda!

Instead of passing the ball he wants to take the impossible shot all the time.

There was this time in the first half when Sturridge is on the right of the area, and instead of passing it, he shoots and the ball goes wide. The look of AVB says it all ( i think it was around the 30th min)....

Edited by justin_3d

So, no hype, was Romeu that good?

Aside from being technically sound, a basic requirement at Barcelona, and somewhat mobile (which is a given due to his age) I didn't notice anything exceptional about his play.

I'd normally say the love he gets here is the usual case of the new boy in town being more popular than the regulars but some of the best posters apparently see something that I don't.

Edited by Kostas

Just when you thought the next game after last weekend's thriller against United would be drab. To be honest the game wasn't as end to end but so many talking points.

Bertrand was solid and kept running up and down, still needs to be tested against a better opponent. Shame Josh had to come off, he was playing really well. Alex looked more solid of the two and it was Luiz who was being caught out until the penalty incident. I thought a yellow would have sufficed.

Can't blame Lukaku for effort but he clearly isn't ready to start games for us just yet, a work in progress. Quite justified his exclusion from the CL squad but then how miserable was Kalou.

Romeu had a good game but often pressed too much and was rounded by the opposition a fair few times. The sloppy back pass almost cost us a goal but credit to him, he ran back and won the ball back himself.

When Lampard's penalty was saved, I was like, here we go again. The fans behind the goal were immense, especially before Ruiz took the final penalty.

Schwarzer clearly didn't do his homework on Kalou's penalty. I knew he'd go there, he's only ever gone there for us lol. Ok he wouldn't of saved it anyway :P

All in all, very positive display, i thought we was fucked really, we got a few injuries, used all our subs, was down to 10 men too, absolute fantastic attitude and spirit shown by all, was well impressed and went to bed happy. We had chances to win it, Malouda & Kalou really are doing themselves no favours if they wanna get back in the side and Lukaku showed a lot too, altho he looks too big :P

Best player on the pitch was Oriol Romeu by a country mile, he looks exceptional. He's strong, he tackles tough and solid, he looks quick, he's composed, he really is the full ticket. He'll make that position his own soon.

Round 4 here we come, bring on Aldershot or something :P

young players getting a chance, winning a penalty shootout, Kalouda scoring from the spot, will wonders ever cease.

Well done to the lads, very difficult to play so much of the game with only 10 men, defended very well to get into penalties and even had the chances to win it during the game. Hopefully the injuries to Sturridge and Cech aren't serious. Shame McEachran had to be sacrificed to Alex's stupidity because he was playing very well. Despite their penalty heroics, Kalouda are so bloody frustrating, it seems difficult to comprehend how they pick the wrong option for the final ball so many times. Lukaku did well up front on his own, put in a real shift and looked dangerous. Romeu was superb in midfield, he seems to be much more mobile than Mikel, has a fantastic passing range and was always looking to get the team on the front foot (with some David Luiz style interceptions), very impressed with him. My pick for MOTM though is David Luiz, ahead of Romeu by a narrow margain. People sometimes question Luiz, they say he is rash, tonight he was flawless at the heart of the Chelsea defence, his decision making was spot on, he covered well and one on one there are few finer defenders on the planet, going forward he is such a great option to have too, the fans love him and his penalty was brilliant, fantastic performance from Luiz tonight which hopefully warrants him starting against Swansea.

I love Luiz when he's in top form, he just knows what to do and can do anything.

Fantastic how good Romeu played it is, but i hope he doesn't kick Mikel out of the squad, because with Essien injured i want Mikel to be a starter, he's been getting better and better, i think he needs to get faster though, he's way to slow to break up play some of the time.

Aside from being technically sound, a basic requirement at Barcelona, and somewhat mobile (which is a given due to his age) I didn't notice anything exceptional about his play.

I'd normally say the love he gets here is the usual case of the new boy in town being more popular than the regulars but some of the best posters apparently see something that I don't.

I'd say he was my MOTM.. goal.com player ratings are a bit off.. i could agree with alxes being flop of the match bcs he conceded a penalty and a red card but was super solid before that, but what i CANT agree with is Bertran MoTM according to goal.com? no way..

Edited by SinineUltra

Before getting the red card, Alex made some wonder tackles to save us from getting behind. You could argue that Alex touched the ball when he was given red card but that's that. 10-man Chelsea played 70 mins with solid Fulham 11-man side and we came up on top. Ruiz's penalty was no way near of being over the line, but I must admit, when I watched it live I thought it was in. After seeing the replay from a different angle it was clear it wasn't over the line. Romeu made some really nice tackles, nice turns and passes but he did commit some rash challanges and one especially where he pushed a Fulham player and to be honest with you could have very easily been a penalty. That incident was a clearer penalty than Alex's case. Had Fulham not got a penalty earlier, that would have been surely given. Could argue that we had 2 penalties turned down, first when Malouda chested the ball and was pulled down from the shoulder and when Fulham defender (Senderos) handeled the ball towards his goalkeeper. But again, that's over with and we're through. Let's hope for a good draw.

In my eyes MOTM was Fulham nr. 21 Kerim Frei. From Chelsea side I liked Malouda, Romeu and Bertrand although Terry was excellent as well I thought..

I think we delivered a great performance yesterday. The youngsters played very well for 120mins against premiership opposition and it was great to win a penalty shoot out. I think we created a very good amount of chances even with 10 men.

MOTM for me was Karim Frei. From our squad the best player was probably Oriel Romeu; his movement was excellent as was his passing.

Could not agree more with you. He is OK for an 18 year old. Much more effective than Mikel. If i make that statement then that means hes good....so a little confused about him.

Also Lukaku, has the pace and ability to hold up the ball but his crossing and shooting abililty seem to be anderlecht quality.....long way to go before he becomes chelsea class( open header which hit his shoulder....lol and a couple of more instances)

Bertrand is not at all chelsea class, however old he is and even though people think he will mature. Sorry if you dont like my opinion but hes shite.(wouldnt get into Newcastle...Wigan maybe)

PVA is class in comparison, his touch,runs,crossing,confidence everything is miles ahead.

Mchechrean was class as always, he looks like a good proposition....next Lampard for sure.

Kalou oh Kalou, how bad are you> i think our lack of quality in previous seasons made him look average super sub types.... now after mata sturridge and co have come in, kalou looks like sunderland material....replacement of asamoah gyan in January?? Very possible and hopeful.

David Luiz, the MOTM of many members here.....am i the only one who saw that everytime he ran ahead he lost the ball? We will get punished against better teams if he does that. Our MOTM was the crowd.....best 12th man for quite a bad display of football and a questionable future.

How on earth was Bertrand so hyped up?? I had started believing this guy must be even better than PVA....lol at that assumption.