Mata Torres Sturridge - a dream team?

termninja

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A ) Humm... While I would agree that the lack of support could partialy explain his poor performances, I do believe his problems are mainly due to his confidence and his physical. Indeed, even when he is playing for Spain - where he has some of the best passers of the world around him and one of the best midfield (let alone the fact Spain is one of the two best teams in the world) - he doesn't look any good ! One could argue that Spain style of play doesn't suit Torres, of course.

And mate, when I do speak about Torres, I base my argument on his overall and personal playing, not his goalscoring chaces. I mean, he seems to struggle to dribble, et al... He gets knocked by players who are far smaller than him (we saw this in the pre-season tour, in Asia). All those thing, in my opinion, prove that there something wrong in his head. He doesn't fall at the merely collision because he lacks of support.

B ) Of course he wasn't made out of nothing. But the old Torres was breathing confidence. When he was on the pitch, when he was on the ball, you were seeing someone full of confidence. And to my eyes, his confidence hadn't have anything to do with the support he was getting... His lack of confidence as well. His ghost mode has started more or less at the World Cup. Since this tournament you can witness his dip in confidence. It has continued at Liverpool, now at our club.

All this to say, our squad isn't to be blamed for Torres' poor form. Of course our midfield doesn't help him to be good, but it (our midfield) didn't have provoked Torres' poor form. The problem with Torres has started well before we bought him.

The Torres problem is wide, the tactical aspect is a part of that problem. I'm of the opinion of those who thinks that we can only judge him when he would be in proper fitness form and with a playing style own to look like a bit how he did perform at Liverpool, I mean that we bought a player who used to perform in a specific climate and surrounding: on the field with support (Gerrard), with fans who used to cheer him, as long as he liked to assume the weight of success (goals) on his own shoulders in a team able to contend for the title.

We did not only bought just a player, we bought a player who used to be good and whose mind was disrupted by the climate at Liverpool. The fact is that he was enhanced since the start by the fans at Liverpool and he did not have this greeting when he signed...

People may have question or wonder the good things (it's the aim of any football analysis) but overall it did not contribute to create a good atmosphere around him because too much Chelsea fans were skeptical for wrong reasons or because of clichés. And this, added to the hostile climate already in place by the world of football did make the thing even more difficult for Torres. I do not budge, some Chelsea fans use to go too far and are too harsh to try to justify they are only "making observations"

But despite all this I did always think that we had to wait him to be in good conditions to perform on the field before being able to judge him on proper basis. Torres is not my father or my friend, so considering he is in good conditions we can judge him and he can not then benefit from any kind of favoritism.

The only good observation to make is that he is not yet in these conditions but after a couple of games where he will be in good fitness form (that he did recover in pre-season), in a good mental form (so the state of mind he began the Stoke game with) and with direct support provided with Mata, Meireles, Anelka or Sturridge... He could then finally be judged properly with reliable arguments

Another piece of evidence that some people forget to remind that money can not forget the essential role of time in that kind of situation. But now it seems to be finally the right time where all the basic conditions required for Torres to shine are gathered

• 1 month later...

Thank fuck Sturridge is finding the back of the net..

Now we have a plan B, if Torres continues to flutter.

We have goals from all over the pitch, that's why we still had good results in March and April despite Drog, Anelka and Torres scoring 3 times between them.

Well well it seems I was right. Both Mata and Sturridge are great, and if Torres can show us why he's worth 50m...sky is the limit! :)

Dont think Torres will ever prove to be worth 50 mil as hes lost way too much pace and he'll never get that back. If you dont believe me just watch videos of him playing a few years ago, he was unbelievably fast and sharp. Now hes quite sluggish and although he's quite fast hes not half as fast as he used to be. However i do still think he'll score a lot of goals for us eventually. Just not enough to justify 50 million considering suarez only cost 24.

• 1 month later...

Agree with the 3 totally....but not in a 4-3-3 in a 4-3-1-2.

Sturridge and Torres with Mata behind would be a very dangerous front 3. Play Romeu, Ramires and Mierlies behind them..

Its maybe time to change the formation but i cant see AVB doing it he hasn't shown in his time here that he will revert from the 4-3-3.

i agree 4-3-1-2 may work better as Danny will thrive as a striker.

Its maybe time to change the formation but i cant see AVB doing it he hasn't shown in his time here that he will revert from the 4-3-3.

i agree 4-3-1-2 may work better as Danny will thrive as a striker.

Sturridge needs to be right up top with someone in support. I think with Mata playing in the "hole" it will benefit us alot more. He gets isolated out wide and cant affect the game.

AVb always reverts to this formation when we are losing - we always score with it, why not start with it???

I agree that if torress is given 3-4 straight matches then finally our attack would be as deadly as it is on paper. this bullsh*t of giving toress and drogba each equal chances is ruining our team!! if that gets sorted out and replace deadweight kalou and anelka with stevan jovetic/hazard/toni kroos (i just personally like him we're not linked with him) hahahaha!

Daniel-Sturridge-Chelsea-448x336.jpg

I agree that if torress is given 3-4 straight matches then finally our attack would be as deadly as it is on paper. this bullsh*t of giving toress and drogba each equal chances is ruining our team!! if that gets sorted out and replace deadweight kalou and anelka with stevan jovetic/hazard/toni kroos (i just personally like him we're not linked with him) hahahaha!

Finally someone who agrees with me! Yes with the current rotation policy neither striker is able to settle and maintain a good run of form...Drogba needs to maintain fitness while Torres needs to retain his match-sharpness..I don't think AVB is doing either striker a favour by dropping them every alternate game..

They're not geling as much as most Chelsea fans want them to...we are definitely underachieving with this front 3 and I can't wait for Sturridge to polish up as a finished product and with Mata/Torres to play with that swagger that they have in them. Does AVB carry some resposibility for this? Maybe the ongoing heavy rotation is disrupting their chemistry together, who knows.

another main reason why i personally believe that our attack is not as good is because we lack that joe cole/nani type player in our squad. someone that can run and run and run for the full 90 and have great ball skills (besides ramires cause he's the only one we got)! and someone that can beat a man 1v1 anyday and attract a double team constantly like nani. that would go a hell of a long way in helping studge, mata, and torres!!