Mata Torres Sturridge - a dream team?

termninja

Do you know how large amount of goals he scores from passes? Most of Barca's goals come from teamwork and assists, Messi is no exception. In Chelsea he would struggle at the moment to be the best like he is now... No doubt he would make others around him play better, but his game would suffer. But that's not the point, we don't play like Barca and probably never will. Their style of play is not the only efficient one, hopefully we'll find one ourselves soon.

He had the most assists. If he wouldn't improve our team than nobody will.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He had the most assists. If he wouldn't improve our team than nobody will.

I said he would improve, but his game would suffer because he relies on smart teamplay and thought-out attacks as much as anybody else there. Probably one of the reasons why he doesn't shine as much in his national squad.

There's no such thing as "Torres NEEDS to play". If you feel Anelka's more likely to score than Torres, Drogba or Lukaku, you start him. We no longer have the luxury of starting out-of-form players, and starting such player solely based on reputation only sends out wrong message to everyone in the squad. Three points are hard to come by as it is, why try to make it even harder? Like AVB's been saying, the starting XI should change on weekly basis, and the players who look the best in training should get the nod. If Torres can't do that, he shouldn't be playing to begin with and we'll need to find ourselves a new striker (hopefully Lukaku's ready)

I agree. Sadly most people fail to see things from your point of view, which is really baffling as it's a very simple concept. a manager should make his team selection based on players that are in form and fit his vision in terms of style of play.

It's not a dream team.

Because Sturridge is not a winger. Yes we've all seen him in pre-season and for England u21's play in a role where he drifts wide, but this is not a strength of his. His game is too central for him to play on the wing and it's holding him back. It's something I noticed in the u21 Euro's, and even in pre-season.

At Bolton he excelled because he was used as a striker with Elmander. But here, we play 4-3-3 which means he'll be a makeshift winger. It won't work, I can only hope AVB will give him license to get central and develop an understanding with Torres in this aspect.

Word up !

You've taken the words right out off my mouth.

The "Sturridge - Torres - Mata" thing ain't a dream team.

About Sturridge, I neither think it will work. And even if it happens to work, I believe Sturridge will not fulfil his potential on the wing. I think it is a waste to play him on the wing, even more when you think that the two others strikers are really far to be good at the moment. And I agree with you, I hope to see Danni play in the center.

As for Torres, well... He isn't any good. And even if he grabs his confidence back, I do not think he will be as near good as the old Torres. I'll agree to give him two more chances to start a game, but after that if he doesn't grab those chance, we just have to stop wasting time with him.

And it's real, at the moment Anelka isn't the worst striker... At least he is better than Drogba, Torres and Kalou.

And I do think a "Anelka - Sturridge - Mata" looks a better choice considering the current form of the players.

Personnaly, as we do not have a playmaker (we have Josh, but it doesn't look like he will have a regular spot in the starting eleven) I'd like Mata to play as a kind of N°10, behind the two strikers :

Mata

Sturrdige - Anelka ?

or

Mata

Danni - Lukaku

I agree. Sadly most people fail to see things from your point of view, which is really baffling as it's a very simple concept. a manager should make his team selection based on players that are in form and fit his vision in terms of style of play.

And Anelka fits AVB's style right? :whistling:

If AVB does not want to drop Torres, than we will play with Mata-Torres-Anelka tomorrow...

I think it's very likely we see this.

As long as he can score or provide for the team,I don't see why he shouldn't.

You do know this is the same Anelka that just scored his first goal in months against wba?

And scored 6 league goals last season?

Anyway if Torres is going to be dropped, i hope it's Lukaku that takes his place!

You do know this is the same Anelka that just scored his first goal in months against wba?

Anyway if Torres is going to be dropped, i hope it's Lukaku that takes his place!

Im not sure how often Anelka led the line last year ,,, Don't think it was often . Do know he led it the year before when Drog was at ACON ..

and Anelka actually led the attack brilliantly,,

Im not sure how often Anelka led the line last year ,,, Don't think it was often . Do know he led it the year before when Drog was at ACON ..

Yeah he did, he was also good there in the CL last season when Drogba was absent.

Yes. He's quick, skillful, has the intelligence and flexibility to play anywhere in the front 3 and can fucking control a ball, beat his marker easily and retain possession unlike Torres and and Drogba.

This doesn't really matter though does it? we were successful with the 4-3-3 without Drogba being flexible to play anywhere... and so were Porto with Falcao.

Yeah he did, he was also good there in the CL last season when Drogba was absent.

This doesn't really matter though does it? we were successful with the 4-3-3 without Drogba being flexible to play anywhere... and so were Porto with Falcao.

Don't change the subject matter. I have merely responded to your doubt as to whether Anelka fits into AVB style of play. The manager himself has publicly emphasized the importance of flexibility in the team and Anelka matches the manager's attacking football philosophy far far better than Torres and Drogba at this point in time.

Don't change the subject matter. I have merely responded to your doubt as to whether Anelka fits into AVB style of play. The manager himself has publicly emphasized the importance of flexibility in the team and Anelka matches the manager's attacking football philosophy far far better than Torres and Drogba at this point in time.

:lol: all i was saying is that particular aspect is not such a big deal, the rest i agree with.

At Bolton he excelled because he was used as a striker with Elmander. But here, we play 4-3-3 which means he'll be a makeshift winger. It won't work, I can only hope AVB will give him license to get central and develop an understanding with Torres in this aspect.

It was with Kevin Davies, Elmander was on a flank.

But I do agree, he can organize the play behind the striker and he likes to have free license. Anyway I think he can do like Anelka and have a large license to cover the entire width of the pitch behind Torres. In 2010 by example, Drogba was excellent upfront but he was even better with such a great provider than Anelka is so I think the plan to play Sturridge behind a forward such as Torres is not a bad idea.

The only problem is to wonder if Sturridge and Mata can play together, against Norwich, Mata used to play on the entire width and at Bolton, Sturridge did also so...

As for Torres, well... He isn't any good. And even if he grabs his confidence back, I do not think he will be as near good as the old Torres. I'll agree to give him two more chances to start a game, but after that if he doesn't grab those chance, we just have to stop wasting time with him.

It's not a matter of level or confidence, if we play the same lineup than against WBA, no support for Torres, you can give a lot of games to Torres and you can also wait long to have a decent performance for him.

The only matter about him is to provide him direct support like he did always had at Liverpool when he was on fire. Mata or Sturridge can be this support.

Torres seems to be fit now, the only problem is that if he wants the ball he has to leave his position and to come on the wings or lower on the pitch to play relays with Lampard and Bosingwa... After that he replaces himself straight into the box but what do you want to do with no player able to give a decent cross, who is tempted to give the ball to Mikel to switch the play ? In front of a wall and standing at the top of a static team, he could have be bought for £150m and having won 3 times the lottery in a row, he can't do miracles...

And even if he has a decent crosser, he is not likely to repeat the header he managed to do against Norwich because he has never been a player who has the impact to play a duel in the air and win it between 2 Premier League level CBs (meaning that all Prem CBs are necessarly good in the air). Drogba or Lukaku seems more likely to be able to do so

He needs direct support very near around the box, nothing less or more... You speak about the old Torres, but he wasn't made of nothing, he had some support. The fact he hasn't any now implies the consequence that he irretrievably looks far from his best level

The last time he led the attack was at White Hart Lane last season in the first half and to be Frank it was one of the worst performances ive ever seen by a Chelsea player.

Having said that i think he should lead the line saturday.

I'm talking about strikers that are currently in form..

I'm not saying he's going to win the golden boot, but he has already scored once, and has already contributed more than once towards our miserable goal tally so far...It need not be Anelka, it could be any striker up front as long as the performances are good.