Just how good is David Luiz?

Tomo

I also think that Ivanovic, for now, is better and more experienced for the CB role. Luiz has got great skills and he is excellent when he has the ball in his feet. When he doesn't have the ball though, sometimes he makes some silly mistakes. But he's still young and he will no doubt improve.

At the moment. Its Terry, Ivanovic, Alex and Luiz in that order.

We might as well start threads for Alex and Ivanovic now.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree the way he was scapegoated by Carlo and everyone else after the Man Utd mistake was ridiculous. The midfield was just as much at fault for giving Giggs (?) and Park so much room. We should have been more disciplined.

He definitely needs to improve in some areas but the amount of potential he has is unreal.

Also, his passion for football is wonderful to watch. and all the behind-the-scenes stuff makes him lovable. It's great to have someone like him playing for us. He's going to be a Chelsea legend imo :D

Great potential, good attitude, a star in the making, need to cut down on mistakes, importantly need to adapt and learn to the new surrounding at the earliest to become the best (which he can) else he would end up as Kalou (bags of talent and no performance.

I think Ivanovic is the better defender at the moment. Luiz can give us a different dimension, but he just has to learn that he can't and doesn't have to win every ball. Once he learns that, sky's the limit.

No. Ivanovic isn't a center back anymore. He has no more the reflexs of a CB. He has lost it. ANd I find him really sloppy when playing down the center.

He is our best defender in my opinion.

This.

ps : I'm agree with DYC. That was funny to see how he dropped from our hero to a sloppy player.

I disagree with some of the comments made in this topic; I do not think he is our best defender, but neither should he have been made a scapegoat as he was by Ancelotti (one of the few things I cannot defend Carlo for). I believe that he has great footballing ability, but his defensive play is undone by his own ill-discipline. He has great potential and is already a wonderful centre-back, and we must accept that he is still adapting to a new league. I firmly believe that with experience, he will learn the discipline he currently lacks, and if he can improve on his concentration then he can become a consistently-brilliant defender, that is for sure. He offers a different dimension to our team with his attacking play, and he is a major goal threat not just because of his ability to dominate other defenders when attacking the ball, he also possesses great technical ability, which is rare in modern-day football. He still has much to learn, but we are blessed by having three different breeds of centre-back at this club - Terry and Alex are great readers of the game, and are strong and physical, whereas Luiz relies much more on his intelligence, anticipation and speed as a defender. Ivanovic is a mixture of the two, but that can only help us over the course of the season. Choosing two centre-backs isn't as simple as merely picking two out of the four, as each has their own qualities that you can play to, for instance Alex's strength and physicality was perfect for facing Stoke, but it was an ill-advised move to pick him against the pacey side that West Brom have (Ivanovic would have been a safer choice here). All in all, we have four wonderful centre-backs, and Luiz definitely have the potential to become a defensive lynchpin in this side, should he develop greater concentration and discipline.

The discipline aspect is what sometimes leaves me a bit heart-in-mouth with Luiz. With such a high defensive line now, he has a tendency to get sucked in and leave the other CB exposed, which could very easily leave huge gaps when a ball is played over the top.

There's nothing wrong with Luiz for me. To my eyes, he has only made one mistake, and that was the penalty he has given away against Fulham. And I can't even take note of that since it was the first time he started a game with us.

For the goal we conceeded against Stoke, he wasn't culprit. He was just victim of the situation, and he has been turned into a scapegoat. If you analyse the situation, you'll see that in the first time, he had nothing to do on the right. And why he was there ? To provide cover for the right-back, ie Bosingwa, who has leaved his position and who didn't come back to defend. Our DM, ie Essien, was also at fault. Indeed, when you take a look, there was only two players who were defending, Terry who was down the center, and Luiz who was on the right wing. Essien should have stayed back to provide cover to the two fullbacks who were attacking. Therefore, to my eyes, those who were at fault for this goal are Essien and Bosingwa, not Luiz.

For the goal we have conceded against United, that was more or less the same thing :

I agree the way he was scapegoated by Carlo and everyone else after the Man Utd mistake was ridiculous. The midfield was just as much at fault for giving Giggs (?) and Park so much room. We should have been more disciplined.

Yes, that was Giggs.

Indeed, in the first time, it was our midfield who was at fault, then the pair Luiz-Terry.

Giggs and Park should have never been allowed all this freedom in the middle of the park. Nobody were closing them down nor chasing them down. If the midfield would have made his job, Luiz and Terry should have not been exposed to Park/Hernandez. That was insane to see how our midfield was apathic and spiritless on this action. Then comes the fault of the pair Luiz/Terry. And I insist on the fact that was Terry's and Luiz' fault, not Luiz' only. At the moment where they were facing Hernandez, there was a lack of comprehension between our two center back. Indeed, one was playing the off-side while the other not. If they were playing for the same thing, then the goal could have been avoided.

With AVB now enforcing his signature ‘high defensive line’ (leaving us vulnerable at times), we will only benefit from pacy defenders like Luiz with this system.

Agree. And add to that the fact Luiz is complementary with Terry. Hence I want Luiz to partner Terry.

Positives.

Technically brilliant, versatile, has pace & could be used without question as a DM.

Negatives.

Rash in his defensive duties, defensively behind our other 3 cb's imho but with experience has the potential to be up there with the best in the world.

To sum it up, fantastic signing - another quality young player that has years infront of him.

Some days he is good, very good even.

And then some days he defends like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqiMQMVF1GY

I'm sometimes genuinely scared when watching him play. He is pure entertainment but then for a central defender maybe that isn't the best thing in the world!

Some days he is good, very good even.

And then some days he defends like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqiMQMVF1GY

I'm sometimes genuinely scared when watching him play. He is pure entertainment but then for a central defender maybe that isn't the best thing in the world!

Luiz is a CB , don't judge him by his worst LB performance ,