Just how good is David Luiz?

Tomo

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off, he wasn't at fault against United ! He just has been turned into a scapegoat, nothing more nothing less, by Ancelotti and the majority of Chelsea fan.

And yes he was lucky to still be on the pitch. But, wasn't Ronney lucky to not being suspended for this game (when he elbowed a wigan player the week before) ? Vidic isn't lucky to get away from all those dirty fouls he does ? Isn't Van Bommel Lucky to not have been sent off during the WC final ? That's the game, everyone is lucky at some point.

Why are you basing your opinion about him on last season?

Im not basing him, he is a fantastic player. He will be fine as a CB in most PL games and europe but against Man U and Man City I think he will be a liability as CB......We have a great player on our hands no doubt about it but I would like to see him in midfield with protection behind him when he charges up field

First off, he wasn't at fault against United ! He just has been turned into a scapegoat, nothing more nothing less, by Ancelotti and the majority of Chelsea fan.

And yes he was lucky to still be on the pitch. But, wasn't Ronney lucky to not being suspended for this game (when he elbowed a wigan player the week before) ? Vidic isn't lucky to get away from all those dirty fouls he does ? Isn't Van Bommel Lucky to not have been sent off during the WC final ? That's the game, everyone is lucky at some point.

exactly, Rooney shouldn't have been even playing that game

I would like to see him in midfield with protection behind him when he charges up field

He has protection, it's called Mikel. That's what anchormen are there for, to cover.

For fuck sake. Some people on here have the same mentality as french coaches. As soon as a player has a very good technical ability, they think he has to play high on the pitch...

He is a center back, end of the story. It is just like Piqué... They have both a great skill. And David should play like Piqué plays, in defence.

Who said William Gallas ? :lol:

Why are you basing your opinion about him on last season?

I'd imagine the fact he just played his first football of the season...

Fact of the matter in regards to his performance in that game was that he was lucky to have stayed on the pitch, and on the other hand, you can't expect us to get favourable treatment like manure does when it comes to not being disciplined. They will always get as little discipline as any club in the league, they're englands barca.

It fucking annoys me how David Luiz is reckless and a accident waiting to happen but Vidic does the same as Luiz but 10 times worse yet he gets widely regarded as the best defender in the world, its pathetic.

Luiz may have been a tad fortunate to stay on the pitch one or two times but if ref's had balls Vidic would be off 90% of the time, Vidic has given away just the same amount of pens as Luiz in the same time period. Luiz still has class about him, Vidic's brand of defending is kicking players into thin air, tugging shirts, grabbing hold of players like he is about to bone the shit out of them and handball's. Yes he has made a few mistakes but this is his first half season in the league this is Vidic's 5th yet he still get's exposed more times than the Manc loving media and every one whitewashed by hi brand of defending would have you believe.

Luiz gets slated for one mistake at Old Trafford which was not solely his fault, yet wasn't Vidic the one that got skinned silly by Yaya Toure in the FA Cup semi and Eto'o in the CL final 2 years before that? yet no one says anything about that. As for him not playing centre back in a big game? im sorry but did you see the United and City home games? yes he may have been fortunate to stay on against United but i can't remember any clear cut opening's either side created and that was down to Luiz. Also in the Liverpool match although it was only 20 minutes did Liverpool get through us with Luiz on the pitch?

Can i also say our most static performances last season came when Luiz was not playing, is it a coinsidence that we looked lively with him in the PL then static even against Copenhagen without him? Also when Carlo scapegoated him at OT (which even as a Carlo fan found that disgracefull) he was dropped then we produced argubally our 2 most dire perfomances of even last season? again it cant be a coinsidence.

As i said in the OP there is no 2 ways about it without him in the United and City home games, both teams would have created more chances and i highly doubt we would have broke either side down.

Also may i add the made the most interceptions in the whole league last season and he only played half a season, don't let a couple of rash mistakes (the same rash shit gets Vidic and Carragher branded world beaters) he is a class CENTRE HALF who is only going to get better.

I don't think I agree with the opinion that Luiz makes up for what he lacks as a CB with his offensive skills.

Despite his rashness, a few careless fouls and the rare concentration lapse I think he is an excellent defender and could hold his own in a team even without considering what he offers up-front.

I think he just needs to learn our game a bit. He has so much talent as a centre back so why not just let him learn the game there. He played 12 times i think for us last season, won player of the month in that time too. Made a mistake against man utd in the first few minutes but so what thats football and as a team we were all over the place at that stage anyway. Bit too soon to start saying hes a liability IMO. He reads the game well and makes hard things look easy, is vital for our distrubution and makes things happen when were struggling like the other night and man utd last season. He might make a mistake against man utd sunday but thats life and this seasons main aim is rebuilding and changing styles.

You've really downplayed Vidic's abilities there. Most centre halves are quite dirty, even JT isn't innocent. The only reason David Luiz's errors are highlighted more is because he doesn't play that often, so it doesn't give many people a chance to see more positives. That will change as the season goes along.

Vidic is one of the best defenders in the league imo.

You've really downplayed Vidic's abilities there. Most centre halves are quite dirty, even JT isn't innocent. The only reason David Luiz's errors are highlighted more is because he doesn't play that often, so it doesn't give many people a chance to see more positives. That will change as the season goes along.

Vidic is one of the best defenders in the league imo.

Im not saying he aint good but it annoys me when no body seems to mention the silly foul's and penalty's he gives away yet when Luiz makes as much as one mistake he gets villified. Not saying he aint good but he imo he is not this completely solid, nothing gets past him defender the rags like to believe he is, put it this way i would much rather he have been playing then Ferdinand sunday, Rio makes defending look like a piece of piss.

Im not saying he aint good but it annoys me when no body seems to mention the silly foul's and penalty's he gives away yet when Luiz makes as much as one mistake he gets villified. Not saying he aint good but he imo he is not this completely solid, nothing gets past him defender the rags like to believe he is, put it this way i would much rather he have been playing then Ferdinand sunday, Rio makes defending look like a piece of piss.

I don't think that's true.

Like I said, it's because Vidic does a lot more positive than negative which is why it seems that way. However I've seen many times on MOTD & SS, his negatives being scrutinized. Especially with that handball last season v. Arsenal or whoever it was.

The only reason David Luiz's mistakes are more noted on is, because he's knew. If Phil Jones made similar ones, they wouldn't go unnoticed either. For many, the first impression of David Luiz (for most media) was his - lucky - missed red card, which then punished United further with that goal.

Yes his positioning and movement was very poor for Chicarito's goal BUT you have to fault the midfielders just as much for not keeping their concentration in the first bloody minute and allowing Giggs and Park that much space

Plus, there was a misunderstood between Luiz and Terry. Terry seemed to play the off-side while Luiz not. Luiz has been turned into the scapegoat for this goal just because it did happen that he was the nearest man of the goalscorer.