Juan Mata

Severinb

Well written, totally agree

Oscar will always be a light-weight CM playing the attacking midfielder role

It was unfortunate to see Mata leave the club...hopefully the signing of Fabregas will help fill the creative void this season

I agree.

Mata was never really good at dribbling though, that wasn't his game. Someone like Silva has it all, Vision, Close control, Dribbling etc he's a wonderful footballer.

The thing with Cesc is that he's more of a pass and move type player, especially when he's playing further up the pitch. Also the thing that sets him apart from both Juan and Silva IMO is that his long passing is just as good as his short. Juan and Silva both have excellent short passing i.e little through balls, but you hardly ever see them do a Pirlo-esque long rang pass from deep, where as Cesc does it all the time.

Edit - Sorry wrong thread, this should be posted in the Cesc thread, don't mind me.

Edited by James

Mata was never really good at dribbling though, that wasn't his game. Someone like Silva has it all, Vision, Close control, Dribbling etc he's a wonderful footballer.

The thing with Cesc is that he's more of a pass and move type player, especially when he's playing further up the pitch. Also the thing that sets him apart from both Juan and Silva IMO is that his long passing is just as good as his short. Juan and Silva both have excellent short passing i.e little through balls, but you hardly ever see them do a Pirlo-esque long rang pass from deep, where as Cesc does it all the time.

Edit - Sorry wrong thread, this should be posted in the Cesc thread, don't mind me.

Agreed, that's probably what made him a Villas-Boas type of player. It's the sort of fluidity AVB went for and he built his tactics around that sort of play.. it's what made Mata so important.

Mourinho is going for a more hardworking team, defending and attacking as a team. which is why Hazard is consistently fouled more than anyone else. Where Mata looked for the pass before he received the ball, Hazard looks to run at the opposition when he receives the ball. ergo, working harder for the attacking play.

With the signings of Cesc and Costa especially, Mourinho isn't looking the to build a team around an individual. The consequences of doing the latter is highlighted by Tottenham-Bale and soon Liverpool-Suarez.

Yes, you need individual brilliance to fit around those tactics but the biggest plus is if said individual leaves they can be replaced. As Mourinho has/will demonstrate.

Juan Mata is a player who pretty much screwed his career by making wrong decisions. He would be better off if he had chosen Arsenal in 2011. He is perfect Arsene type of player: give him to play and he is happy. If trophy comes, good, if not, nevermind. He just wants to feel accepted, successful and important and that can only be achieved by playing.

It would be much easier if players took their capabilities and style of play into consideration before opting for the next club. In his case anyway.

Since he left it has become hit to talk about his flaws and limitations. Some in order to explain what we wont miss, other to highlight how superior option Oscar is. And I don't have problems with highliting his limitations, I'm aware of them myself, however I do have a problem with explaning how poor player he was without taking into consideration how hard it was for him to play his best football here. Yes he was given free role which helped him score more goals or make more assists, but he also is attacking midfielder who played entire two seasons with us without a striker to pass the ball to. He was under poor managers when it comes to the League( although fabulous manager in CL) almost entire two seasons . In the second part of the first season our players only cared about CL, it was so visible on the field but ended up in heroic triumph. That season was about CL not the League and who says otherwise is wrong.

And our team wasn't good enough for both fronts.

Juan Mata is about end product, but it's not like he had all the conditions to make the best impact in terms of end product here as some suggest. His limitations are to blame but lack of reliable striker/winger isn't ?

Man United is another terrible decision . He won't fit under Van Gaal. I certainly hope he will be sold as soon as possible.

It won't be easy for him to be benched again. It will be another fail for him, new blow to the player who thrives for recognition.I won't be coming here either and read all those mean posts 'ha, he's benched again! ' type. I will be gratefull to him for everithing he's done and I will keep my fingers crossed for him to somwhere along the line find a club where he will feel like important part of the team and where he will get recognition he craves for again.

Meanwhile I will watch Hazard and Oscar playing with striker. Luxury that Mata never had here.

c267086d3d4d2d478dd77076eaaac0dc57c24415

How the FUCK is somebody saying they're over Mata leaving being disrespectful? Saying Mata is a judas wanker and was fucking shit, now that's being disrespectful. Saying that I'm over him is hardly being offensive. I suppose you go and revise your definition of the word because you clearly don't have a grasp of its connotations.

Nobody has - or should - have forgotten what Mata did for this club. But I don't know if you've realised, he's left the club now. Players come and go. People get over them leaving. Deal with it. If you want to stay attached to Juan then I'm sure there's a spare seat or two at Old Trafford.

lol calm down, saying you're over someone could also imply you've managed to erase/replace them from your memory

which is what i think he inferred and hence said that we shouldn't forget mata's 2.5 years, we should get over him leaving, but not over him as a player who contributed to this club

just a simple misunderstanding, nothing to get so defensive about

Just thought he has had seven managers in three years since arriving in England, even in the current climate that must be a record for a player in a three year period. In this country atleast.

Andre Villas Boas

Roberto Di Matteo

Rafeal Benitez

Jose Mourinho

David Moyes

Ryan Giggs

Louis Van Gaal

Any other player had that many managers in three years in this country? Obviously it's happened in Italy but here?

The two time running player of the season, at any club, should be an automatic selection unless there's somebody significantly better or injury or something like that. Binning him for Oscar was it? What was the point? As far as I'm aware he's been worse than what Mata was. Perhaps it's less apparent at Chelsea than at other clubs because there's a galaxy of other 'stars' to choose from, but a few years ago a 'luxury' player like Mata would have been accommodated for, even at Chelsea.

I can't get around how lol the drive towards bits and pieces allrounders in football is. An attacking midfielder attacks. That's the whole point. You play somebody behind him who's got a high workrate and some defensive ability so that the AM can do what he's supposed to do. Why would anybody want a number 10 to waste his time learning to position himself defensively and improve his tackling; or waste his energy running up and down the pitch? Create chances, score some goals. That's all there is to it.

You can add onto that the obsession with having 'ball playing' central defenders. Why on earth would a manager expect his centre back to carry the ball out of defence, ripp past half a dozen pressing opponents and then play a pinpoint long pass for the striker? Or more pertinently, how can somebody expect a centre back to be so talented in attacking skill and still be a solid defender?

You didn't watch Mata under Jose. Painfully bad, he was so out of form. I know this becuase I know you don't watch football. Oscar wasn't amazing but he was better than Mata. Hindsight can be bad because Mata hit a bit of form when Oscar fell out of form, but at the time when Mata was sold, he was appualing. In the end he wanted to leave and the club got an amazing deal out of United.