Romelu Lukaku

Jose M

I think everyone just needs to chill. We all know Lukaku is a talented goalscorer and I think everyone would love to see him succeed here either in the short-term or a few years down the line (there's really no rush with him). It's just the stuff he says and the frequency with which he says it that's a problem for some, including Jose.

He likes to talk. Jose likes players who do their talking on the pitch. When Torres is discussing a signing in more admirable terms than you are then maybe that's a sign that you should either take a bit more time to formulate a response or simply shut up.

There's also some bad feeling from some supporters because Lukaku seems to think that he should simply have been given a starting spot last season. Yes he was impressive at West Brom and that's what led to him getting a shot last season, and he did. In the first four games he was involved three times, yet that wasn't good enough. He seems to have a bit of a chip on his shoulder when he has achieved the square root of fuck all in the game thus far.

He actually said this

Because how you could be on the bench after the year I had last year?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/romelu-lukaku-exclusive-im-everton-3374966#ixzz342T4cC8t

:doh:

Someone somehow will justify that.

I think everyone just needs to chill. We all know Lukaku is a talented goalscorer and I think everyone would love to see him succeed here either in the short-term or a few years down the line (there's really no rush with him). It's just the stuff he says and the frequency with which he says it that's a problem for some, including Jose.

He likes to talk. Jose likes players who do their talking on the pitch. When Torres is discussing a signing in more admirable terms than you are then maybe that's a sign that you should either take a bit more time to formulate a response or simply shut up.

There's also some bad feeling from some supporters because Lukaku seems to think that he should simply have been given a starting spot last season. Yes he was impressive at West Brom and that's what led to him getting a shot last season, and he did. In the first four games he was involved three times, yet that wasn't good enough. He seems to have a bit of a chip on his shoulder when he has achieved the square root of fuck all in the game thus far.

He actually said this

Because how you could be on the bench after the year I had last year?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/romelu-lukaku-exclusive-im-everton-3374966#ixzz342T4cC8t

:doh:

Obviously Torres will talk about new signings in a good way, he doesn't want to leave the club and risk losing 175,000 a week for putting in 2-3 good performances over the course of the season

Thats a lot of "it seems".

Two isn't it?

I mean I could trawl through all of his interviews over the last year. The fact that he's made it abundantly clear that he made the decision to leave because he didn't think he'd get enough games. The comments about staying at Everton if they got European football, as if that's his choice. The support of Anelka after he made a quenelle gesture (defending anti-Semitic gestures when your club's chairman is not just a Jew, but a strong supporter of Jewish causes).

He's a good goalscorer but at some point the mouth attached is simply not worth the hassle.

Obviously Torres will talk about new signings in a good way, he doesn't want to leave the club and risk losing 175,000 a week for putting in 2-3 good performances over the course of the season

Whereas Lukaku has no vested interest in speaking well about the club?

Torres said the right thing. It's really not a tough thing to do, to talk in cliches and avoid any hint of controversy because talking isn't the job. Kicking a football is the job.

But Lukaku has a problem and Jose nailed it - he likes to talk. The most frustrating thing is that he had it on a silver platter this year - an opportunity to establish himself at this club when his competition was at the weakest it has been for almost a decade, but instead of biding his time (like other, much better players have done) and impressing in the chances he was given HE decided to leave.

The funny thing is that he talks in that interview about admiring players like Ronaldo, Drogba and Rooney and completely misses the point. Rooney backed his talent and went FROM Everton TO a top club, not the other way around. Drogba went FROM Marseille TO a top club.

Even Ronaldo went FROM Sporting TO Man United...and even started off on the bench.

For the record: i actually think Lukaku is a limited footballer. It is the spinning and ad hominem remarks that is going on that is really over the top.

But i guess thats ok if you're British. This is actually a good example. Thanks for providing me wity one, Tom.

Don't judge Stingray. The evil British media is mistranslating his comments in a grand anti-Belgian conspiracy.

Huge post. Now count the amount of belgian fanboy references Polo has made the last year plz.

Thats a lot of "it seems".

Also in that very article:

“My desire to improve and be the best I can be explains everything - I could have stayed at Chelsea and played a few games this season, but how can you reach your best level if you have a year when you don’t play so much?” he says calmly.

“As a youngster, you normally have to play. How will you be one of the best not playing? Look at Rooney, Ronaldo, Drogba - every top striker. They always played.

“They played constantly, always, all the time. Games, games, games. I just want to be one of them - that is my ambition, I just want to be one of those guys, I don’t play football to show off or to make money, I play because of my pride and because I love the game.

“I know I am good at it sometimes, but good is not good enough - you have to be perfect. That’s why I am here. To play games, to help the team reach that level, and to improve my game. If we get fourth I’ll be proud of myself.”

What in the clusterfuck is wrong with that. You guys are lynching a superb youngster on here because said this? Sad really.

Nothing wrong with that. But his desire is getting him impatient and he doesn't know when to stop talking or what to say any more and the next day you see something like

"If Chelsea sign Costa i will leave!". And then who is wrong to say that he is so self-important?

Whereas Lukaku has no vested interest in speaking well about the club?

Torres said the right thing. It's really not a tough thing to do, to talk in cliches and avoid any hint of controversy because talking isn't the job. Kicking a football is the job.

But Lukaku has a problem and Jose nailed it - he likes to talk. The most frustrating thing is that he had it on a silver platter this year - an opportunity to establish himself at this club when his competition was at the weakest it has been for almost a decade, but instead of biding his time (like other, much better players have done) and impressing in the chances he was given HE decided to leave.

The funny thing is that he talks in that interview about admiring players like Ronaldo, Drogba and Rooney and completely misses the point. Rooney backed his talent and went FROM Everton TO a top club, not the other way around. Drogba went FROM Marseille TO a top club.

Even Ronaldo went FROM Sporting TO Man United...and even started off on the bench.

I can see where your coming from....but for some reason, he just sounds like a confused 21 year old who has received poor advice from agents/management in a World cup year

I totally agree that he talks a bit too much....but he's still young, and I'm sure José and Chelsea's leadership group can teach him how to deal with press conferences and interviews

When Torres used to have an EGO - he talked crap. Like after the CL Final, now he realizes that he is shite and thus he is saying the right thing cause he wants to stay here and keep getting paid 175k p/w. Don't ever bring up Torres as a positive role model for a striker - he is fucking horrid

He is probably the most overrated player in our squad atm bar Torres (the fact not everyone thinks he's absolute shite makes him overrated by default).

If he stayed with us he would have faced the same rotation policy the others have (with such young am's, no way would a player with rough edges be no 1) with that i reckon he would have got roughly the same amount off goals as Eto'o did, who's contributions last season are criminaly under rated.

Gary Neville said a few weeks back he now see's why he went on loan, Everton fans are not convinced about splashing big money on him, there's a reason for that.

KDB was getting the same type of hype which ended in the meltdown, and before some one accuses me of discriminating against Belgium players im constantly on the Hazard thread saying he's our best player by a distance, i say Courtois should be our keeper next year and i was practically starting a campaign to sign Witsel before Matic became available.

I say it how i see it and for me Lulu has a long way to go

Agree with everything you said. But my question is ... who is "Lulu" ? :Goober:

I can see him lead the line for a Wolfsburg, Everton, Tottenham type of club but not ours right now.

I think if he stays, he could get something around 30 games and some big ones too because Costa can play in the hole very well in a 4411.

Its funny how this forum goes...as long certain player makes things great towards our club, he is respected and all, as soon he loses form or is almost certain that he will move away, he is regarded as overrated. Lukaku who was thought to be our long term replacement for Didi, was wanted by everyone then he says he wants to leave club and suddenly he is overrated. :rolleyes: You say he is overrated just to make this move less painfull, because it seems you dont want to admit he is wonderful talent, because we are about to let him go like many other good players in past (Danny, Matic,...) And he will shine in other club, even more in few years. And people will be sad we didnt keep him. Sure kid is 21, he is inconsistent, even average with ball, but same thing went with Dzeko and Lewa. They were basicaly pieces of wood at young age, but improved their ball control and are now very good strikers. Lukaku will do the same, except his ceiling is few times higher than those two...

I expect lot of bash, but thing is Lukaku progress hasnt stalled, hasnt decreased, but improved. When he arrived, you seriously didnt expect a 20 y.o. will just replace Drogba after comming from belgium league...or did you? He is 21 and had two fantastic seasons in PL. Our board is impatient and no way Lukaku deserves to be in starting eleven just like that, his comments are weird, he should keep his mouth shut. But on other hand, kid has huge ambition and that will bring him far. He knows that him sitting on bench, behind Costa and Torres (jesus) will not improve him. And he knows that very well. He would end up like most of our players. He wants regular play time all the time. Same like Pogba. And that is only good thing. We cant give him that, but smaller club will. And Im sure he will be hit in few years. Mark my words.

All this talk about him being overrated. I mean, what do you expect him to do? He scored lot of goals in PL, more than any our striker and he is 21. He is regarded as one of best young strikers and he probably is best one. Name others who are better than him ATM? How is he overrated? Because he isnt as good as Drogba? Becase he doesnt score 30 goals per season? Because he cant bring us PL title? He has ambition and his comments in public are keeping him from eternal talents (like 99% of young players we buy) and players who will actualy reach the potential.

He knows if not play here, he will leave and he will play and score there.

I dont find him arrogant. I find him ambitious. And if I was him and players like Torres or Ba would get to play ahead of me in TRANSITION SEASON, I would seriously consider going somewhere I will be more respected. He isnt pussy. He knows Mou wont play him and give him chance if he decides so. Jose has too big ego. Azpi wasnt starter and despite being better than Cole, Jose only played him due to Cole injury. Its what Jose does. Experiments little and doesnt want to change much. Once he does, there is no way he will change mind. Lukaku knows that and he isnt stupid to sit on bench next 4 years hoping for chance and then realising he missed the time and opportunity to improve. I find his love to Chelsea real, but the love is not both sided. He is just another of 340549238420 talented players we buy and dont know what to do with them, we hope he will do a ''messi'' and stuff. Every talent needs special trust, and lot of work is required, Lukaku wont get that from Jose it seems.

Fully agree with everything here apart from the Cole mention. Azpi won his place on merit. After we lost 2-0 to Newcastle Cole lost his place and Azpi earned it and put in very good performances and tbh Lukaku probably would have done the same as he is better than all the strikers we had on board IMO.

But yeah the talk about him being overrated is ridiculous IMO. He has flaws like any 21 year old would but he has qualities that many kids his age don't even possess.

While he has flaws it seems he us underrated. People seem to write him of leading the line but until he us given a chance to show that we will never know. Many people seem to slate his flaws like his touch whilst ignoring his strengths while forgetting he is a kid and while he could keep quiet sometimes he can turn out to be one of the best strikers in the world and he may come across as arrogant but if us because he knows his current qualities and the level he can and probably will reach.

But yes I can see Lukaku's stance. Costa is reasonably young and maybe Lukaku thinks it will be difficult to overtake a striker we are spending over £30m on.

But I hope he is kept around because no doubts him and Costa on board will provide a flurry of goals.

Fully agree with everything here apart from the Cole mention. Azpi won his place on merit. After we lost 2-0 to Newcastle Cole lost his place and Azpi earned it and put in very good performances and tbh Lukaku probably would have done the same as he is better than all the strikers we had on board IMO.

But yeah the talk about him being overrated is ridiculous IMO. He has flaws like any 21 year old would but he has qualities that many kids his age don't even possess.

While he has flaws it seems he us underrated. People seem to write him of leading the line but until he us given a chance to show that we will never know. Many people seem to slate his flaws like his touch whilst ignoring his strengths while forgetting he is a kid and while he could keep quiet sometimes he can turn out to be one of the best strikers in the world and he may come across as arrogant but if us because he knows his current qualities and the level he can and probably will reach.

But yes I can see Lukaku's stance. Costa is reasonably young and maybe Lukaku thinks it will be difficult to overtake a striker we are spending over £30m on.

But I hope he is kept around because no doubts him and Costa on board will provide a flurry of goals.

Its normal on this forum, either we overrate or underrate things. When someone pulls good game, he is better than Messi, if someone says he wants to leave the club he is overrated and average...It seems peoples striker expectations are unreal, they want instant success even if from someone who is just 21.

Right now, after all the Lukaku comments, it looks people saying he is average and overrated, but in few months when he puts good WC performances he will be like god. And if he will be sold and succeed elsewhere, people will say they always knew Lukaku is special and stuff like that.

We have Lukaku now, he is raw and unwanted, once we will sell him. he will start scoring goals and everyone will regret selling him. It never learns us.

If we sell him, I hope there will be chance he comes back eventualy becuse kid will be on top in few years.

I dunno what he had with Jose, but things must clear and it will be crime if Jose wouldnt offer him at least second choice striker spot behind Costa.

Its funny how this forum goes...as long certain player makes things great towards our club, he is respected and all, as soon he loses form or is almost certain that he will move away, he is regarded as overrated. Lukaku who was thought to be our long term replacement for Didi, was wanted by everyone then he says he wants to leave club and suddenly he is overrated. :rolleyes: You say he is overrated just to make this move less painfull, because it seems you dont want to admit he is wonderful talent, because we are about to let him go like many other good players in past (Danny, Matic,...) And he will shine in other club, even more in few years. And people will be sad we didnt keep him. Sure kid is 21, he is inconsistent, even average with ball, but same thing went with Dzeko and Lewa. They were basicaly pieces of wood at young age, but improved their ball control and are now very good strikers. Lukaku will do the same, except his ceiling is few times higher than those two...

I expect lot of bash, but thing is Lukaku progress hasnt stalled, hasnt decreased, but improved. When he arrived, you seriously didnt expect a 20 y.o. will just replace Drogba after comming from belgium league...or did you? He is 21 and had two fantastic seasons in PL. Our board is impatient and no way Lukaku deserves to be in starting eleven just like that, his comments are weird, he should keep his mouth shut. But on other hand, kid has huge ambition and that will bring him far. He knows that him sitting on bench, behind Costa and Torres (jesus) will not improve him. And he knows that very well. He would end up like most of our players. He wants regular play time all the time. Same like Pogba. And that is only good thing. We cant give him that, but smaller club will. And Im sure he will be hit in few years. Mark my words.

All this talk about him being overrated. I mean, what do you expect him to do? He scored lot of goals in PL, more than any our striker and he is 21. He is regarded as one of best young strikers and he probably is best one. Name others who are better than him ATM? How is he overrated? Because he isnt as good as Drogba? Becase he doesnt score 30 goals per season? Because he cant bring us PL title? He has ambition and his comments in public are keeping him from eternal talents (like 99% of young players we buy) and players who will actualy reach the potential.

He knows if not play here, he will leave and he will play and score there.

I dont find him arrogant. I find him ambitious. And if I was him and players like Torres or Ba would get to play ahead of me in TRANSITION SEASON, I would seriously consider going somewhere I will be more respected. He isnt pussy. He knows Mou wont play him and give him chance if he decides so. Jose has too big ego. Azpi wasnt starter and despite being better than Cole, Jose only played him due to Cole injury. Its what Jose does. Experiments little and doesnt want to change much. Once he does, there is no way he will change mind. Lukaku knows that and he isnt stupid to sit on bench next 4 years hoping for chance and then realising he missed the time and opportunity to improve. I find his love to Chelsea real, but the love is not both sided. He is just another of 340549238420 talented players we buy and dont know what to do with them, we hope he will do a ''messi'' and stuff. Every talent needs special trust, and lot of work is required, Lukaku wont get that from Jose it seems.

Post's like these are part of the reason to why i think he is overrated.
I don't think he's rubbish but i certainly don't think he would have made the difference needed to win the title that people make out. For the team last season, an experienced option like Eto'o was needed more, especially with all our AM's bar Willian and Mata till he left 22 or under.

I said he couldnt help win any titles, but it was transition season and we didnt plan to get trophies. And even with Etoo we still didnt get trophies...

Post's like these are part of the reason to why i think he is overrated.

I don't think he's rubbish but i certainly don't think he would have made the difference needed to win the title that people make out. For the team last season, an experienced option like Eto'o was needed more, especially with all our AM's bar Willian and Mata till he left 22 or under.

I said he couldnt help win any titles, but it was transition season and we didnt plan to get trophies. And even with Etoo we still didnt get trophies...

Well Ive had it with players (who have not played for us or barely played for us) being treated like gods on this forum. I think some people forget its the team we support not the individuals.

Well the guy is most probably gonna leave anyways and all our opinions won't matter to him. Why the fuck is everyone still arguing. Both the club and Lukaku is at fault here....lets leave it at that!