Romelu Lukaku

Jose M

Was Benteke always first choice for Belgium or did he force Lukaku out?

In my opinion there was no real clear choice until October 2012. Multiple players were used before that: Lukaku, Benteke, Mirallas, Vossen, Ogunjimi. Around 2 years ago, Lukaku was playing for Anderlecht and he was seen as the clear choice for the future. After that he lost a year on the Chelsea bench, while the other strikers all played regularly. Once he got fired up at WBA, Benteke already made some important goals for the national team. It'll be hard to get him out of the starting eleven by now.

Benteke's immense progress last year was a real surprise for me. I always thought it was a player without character. England really did wonders for him... He played a really useful game against Scotland. Very pleasing to see.

I think he would've benefited more from the competition we have here, under the supervision of Mourinho, than he will have at Everton. While Everton are a competitive team and Martinez is a capable manager, I just think the best way to follow up to West Brom would've been getting more experience here.

One look at Everton's strikeforce and you see guys like Koné & Jelavic who aren't exactly the best to bring the best out of Lukaku. At least at West Brom he had Shane Long, Peter Odemwingie (pre-transfer request) and Rosenburg. He went from 3rd choice there to joint-first with Long. He displaced Odemwingie (which led to that transfer window fiasco) and because of that Rosenburg didn't even get a look-in.

Obviously I can understand Lukaku's reason for wanting the loan, with it being World Cup year and all. But as a Chelsea fan, I just think it would've been better for his development to try and force out Torres.

I think rather the opposite to be honest. After all, it was Mourinho that advised him to go out on loan to Everton - which indicates to me that he'd rather have Lukaku developing whilst constantly getting games at Everton, improving his link up play and finesse, making him a more complete footballer than getting the odd minutes here and there for us (which is what it was beginning to look like).

Martinez has a pretty good track record out of getting the best out of young players. Forget Kone & Jelavic, it's about the players that are surrounding Romelu. The likes of Mirallas, Pienaar, Deulofeu, Barkley, McCarthy etc. are all decent technical players, and with their manager who has a possession/passing football philosophy, Lukaku in my opinion will learn a lot more of his general play, thus refining it a lot more. The kid is too good to just get a few minutes here and there for us in my opinion but the competition we have here will ensure that.

Constant first team football is far more important for a youngster than having to beat the likes of Eto'o, Torres and Ba to a starting spot. Loaning out Ba wouldn't have benefitted us whatsoever as when he returns he won't improve as a player - what he is as a player is pretty much set. That's different with Lukaku though, Romelu is still very raw, and I believe that Martinez's philosophy will refine him in the right way.

He doesn't need this sort of heavy competition to bring the best out of him. With all respects to WBA, Long, Odemwingie and Rosenburg are not Eto'o, Torres and Ba. it isn't the same in my opinion.

Loaning out Romelu to the right club, which was Everton rather than West Brom, is what will make the loan a success. He'll come back more than ready to compete for the number one striker next year providing he has another great season at Everton, which I think he will do.

I think rather the opposite to be honest. After all, it was Mourinho that advised him to go out on loan to Everton - which indicates to me that he'd rather have Lukaku developing whilst constantly getting games at Everton, improving his link up play and finesse, making him a more complete footballer than getting the odd minutes here and there for us (which is what it was beginning to look like).

Martinez has a pretty good track record out of getting the best out of young players. Forget Kone & Jelavic, it's about the players that are surrounding Romelu. The likes of Mirallas, Pienaar, Deulofeu, Barkley, McCarthy etc. are all decent technical players, and with their manager who has a possession/passing football philosophy, Lukaku in my opinion will learn a lot more of his general play, thus refining it a lot more. The kid is too good to just get a few minutes here and there for us in my opinion but the competition we have here will ensure that.

Constant first team football is far more important for a youngsters than having to beat the likes of Eto'o, Torres and Ba to a starting spot. Loaning out Ba wouldn't have benefitted us whatsoever as when he returns he won't improve as a player - what he is as a player is pretty much set. That's different with Lukaku though, Romelu is still very raw, and I believe that Martinez's philosophy will refine him in the right way.

He doesn't need this sort of heavy competition to bring the best out of him. With all respects to WBA, Long, Odemwingie and Rosenburg are not Eto'o, Torres and Ba. it isn't the same in my opinion.

Loaning out Romelu to the right club, which was Everton rather than West Brom, is what will make the loan a success. He'll come back more than ready to compete for the number one striker next year providing he has another great season at Everton, which I think he will do.

Yeah I mean I can understand this view and I would be agreeing with you if it wasn't for the spell he had at West Brom. I mean he really did earn his stripes there and I'd hoped that this season he would be allowed a chance to showcase that development for Chelsea before this option was considered. From what I've heard it was his decision to go out on loan again and he actually wanted to go to West Brom (god knows how he ended up at Everton after..)

What was also encouraging for me was to see that he featured in the Supercup at a stage where it was actually more of a risk to bring him on. Mourinho showed trust in Lukaku to come on in extra time and attempt to make himself a hero, he gave him further responsibility by allowing him to take that penalty.. I thought that was a message to Lukaku that "yes, you're going to get a chance here".

You make a good point about the talents Everton have behind the striker and especially about Mirallas. However I'm not sold on Martinez. He plays good football, but often doesn't showcase that until the latter stages of a season and it really does cost him. He did that with Swansea and Wigan.. So my fear is that if Lukaku doesn't adapt to Martinez's tactics he'll find himself on the bench behind Koné

I have a worry about sending him out again, which is a worry I have about Courtois as well. I feel that if we keep sending them away and if they keep seeking these moves, then they're going to start believing there actually isn't a future for them in the times they're in need of it. They're not getting assurances from the club and they're asking to go.

No doubt partly the reason for this move was his penalty miss.

Hmmm, that would be unreasonably harsh seeing that Mourinho approved him taking the penalty. I sincerely doubt it's any part of the reason for his move though. I believe the Ba story and getting more play time story more. Truth is we may never really know all the factors though.

The fact he is competing with Benteke for the striker position for his National Side could be a big factor, the guy ended last season amazingly and started this one as good, yet Lukaku finished last season the same way, but looked to be on the bench for the majority. This move will help him have a far chance to carry on the same form, as well as progress with a team with a different style from West Brom, making him learn to develop his game more with each training session and game time.

Couldn't agree more. With Martinez especially, I really don't see any progress for Romelu with Everton this term, this really isn't the best option for him. He should've stayed with Chelsea & we should've sold Ba.

I disagree. At WBA he always had tons of space to exploit as they played on the counter. Clarke even used him as a "super sub" in all the big games because he's have more space in the second half but also because, despite his physical strength, his hold-up was well below average. That just won't cut it here at Chelsea.

At Everton he will be playing with a team that keeps possession high up the field. So I think he'll learn and develop a lot. Martinez is also one of the best managers in the league tactically so he will help Romelu develop his hold-up play and movement which he will be required to do at Everton. I think this will be a crucial season for Romelu.

I disagree. At WBA he always had tons of space to exploit as they played on the counter. Clarke even used him as a "super sub" in all the big games because he's have more space in the second half but also because, despite his physical strength, his hold-up was well below average. That just won't cut it here at Chelsea.

At Everton he will be playing with a team that keeps possession high up the field. So I think he'll learn and develop a lot. Martinez is also one of the best managers in the league tactically so he will help Romelu develop his hold-up play and movement which he will be required to do at Everton. I think this will be a crucial season for Romelu.

Curious, mind expanding on why you say that?

Curious, mind expanding on why you say that?

His teams are always play a very tactical game. For example how they press in phases and how the players move on defense to mark passing spaces instead of players is not exactly typical. Player movement and passing on attack is also straight off the drawing board with the team sometimes executing a system of calculated 10-15 passes just to created a space for one player. Almost everything they do is drawn by Martinez as opposed to us last season for example when we main just relied on the natural ability of people like Mata and Hazard.

Can't be mad. He has to suck up to Everton and their fans and it's a good start saying that he wants Everton to win. Obviously he wants what's best for Chelsea - he is just being clever.

He is an Everton player atm, he doesn't play for us this season so it's only fair.