test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Steve

Stamford Bridge thread

Started by Steve,

2,647 posts in this topic

I thought it would cost more to redevelop then get a new stadium?

What would it matter?, it won't be on FFP books.

A new stadium would practically be a present from uncle Roman.

Would be huge to get a new 60.000-70.000 seater to the original place. Seems like Mr. Abramovich really wants to build it!

And I want to buy tickets to sit in it.

People often talk about the current crop of football club owners being no more than temporary custodians and about how they should not consider 'their' clubs as playthings to do with as they wish. Quite correct, they shouldn't, but I wonder how often we fans think about our own responsibility for the future? Our club, Chelsea Football Club, is no more ours to do with as we wish than it is Roman's.

I care about my family far more than I care about Chelsea but they're about the only things I do put before my football team. Because I love my family so much I think, and plan, and hope, for their futures all the time. I accept that responsibility but what about the other great love of my life? As a supporter, is it my right to cling to my memories and insist that the club panders to my feelings of nostalgia? No matter what the consequence? Should I not also consider the future of CFC and ask serious questions about whether a cobbled together solution at Stamford Bridge really will enable my club to compete over the next sixty years?

Fulham FC once had the ambition to be the best team in the world but then they refused to move into a new stadium at Stamford Bridge and someone else did instead. As a result, it's been way more than sixty years since they were even the best team in Fulham and these days they're going nowhere fast. Just a thought.

DoubleO, Sidzeret, Tomo and 1 other like this

Let's build a statue for Roman. :P

Is this going to be better(/bigger) than the Battersea Project?

Wouldn't Roman have to fund and approve said statue? That'd be a bit narcissistic, no?

I thought re-developing Stamford Bridge is not possible due to safety, council 'hoop jumping' and the actual area where the stadium sits being an oblong shape?

Let's build a statue for Roman. :P

Is this going to be better(/bigger) than the Battersea Project?

we should be a Colossus of Rhodes size statue that straddles Stamford Bridge.

Is there space for redevelopment? By seeing the google images its packed very much.

If the new plans are true then yes there's space.

Decking over the district line would make space, it'd be a lot less crowded down Fulham Road etc..

nachikethas likes this

Does it matter though? It's just a temporary move. Wembley Stadium isn't our home, we are just borrowing the stadium for a year.

And for me this is great because I am much closer to Wembley so it'll save the travel for me for at least a year. :P

Typical political nonsense from politicians trying to look good for their constituents. They are calling for an answer from the RFU. An answer to what? Nothing pertinent has been said to the RFU by Chelsea so there is nothing to answer. My own guess is that if a formal approach were ever made it would have next to zero chance of being accepted by the RFU in the first pace.

Some RFU board members would undoubtedly hold with the view that, 'Twickenham is the sacrosanct home of rugby and no round ball shall ever darken its doors', while the others would be sold on the idea that the cash just would not be worth the massive PR hit they'd take. That's my view anyway. Other opinions are available. :)

Alright then, we don't need their precious Twatckenham exclusively. Something about Wembley was rumoured also if i remember correctly.

So are these spanners who go on about how Twickenham is the home of rugby and football should never be played there aware that we aren't moaning about how they often use Wembley and how about half of the venues for the 2016 rugby world cup are Premier League stadia?

OhForAGreavsie likes this

Wembley and Twickenham both have regulations on the amount of events that can be held there each season. We wouldn't be able to use either given these regulations and even if we did we could spend over a year trying to get the relevant local council to increase the number of events

So are these spanners who go on about how Twickenham is the home of rugby and football should never be played there aware that we aren't moaning about how they often use Wembley and how about half of the venues for the 2016 rugby world cup are Premier League stadia?

That's the beauty with people's prejudices; there's just no logic to 'em. :)

Anyway, we already know that there's nothing (association) football clubs won't do for money. Sell the soul of the game?

"That'll be a fiver sir!"

"Oops we're fresh out of souls. They've been one of our best selling items. We do have a replica soul made to the highest of standards. Yours for a couple of quid or 50 notes with the name of your choice printed on the back."

Sidzeret and Liquidator like this