The Mourinho Thread

My view is that, although we are an improved side, any success we achieve this season will still be ahead of schedule. We could debate whether or not the problems we've solved were the big ones, but we'd probably agree that they definitely were not the only ones. We still have unresolved issues which are holding us back in my opinion.

No team is perfect. Jose has spent a lot of money on some top class players since he's come back and while we do still have some glaring weaknesses, a team with the likes of Courtois, Matic, Hazard, Fabregas and Costa should definitely be winning silverware. We only have one competitor in the league and have the ability to go 8 points clear of them for the second time in the season with a win next week. We are also 2 games away from the Capital One Cup trophy. If we don't win anything for the second season running then it will be a huge fail.

No team is perfect. Jose has spent a lot of money on some top class players since he's come back and while we do still have some glaring weaknesses, a team with the likes of Courtois, Matic, Hazard, Fabregas and Costa should definitely be winning silverware. We only have one competitor in the league and have the ability to go 8 points clear of them for the second time in the season with a win next week. We are also 2 games away from the Capital One Cup trophy. If we don't win anything for the second season running then it will be a huge fail.

Your probably right, however he shouldn't be sacked, the competition for top 4 is going to be bigger than ever in the coming years never mind the title, we let Jose go and make another Scolari style error we will be in serious trouble.

I do have to say one thing that I'm majorly disappointed with Mourinho is in what he promised at the beginning.

That he was going to use young players from the academy.

It's the second half of the second season and still nothing.

People was raving about his success with Varane, but I have yet to see him having an impact of similar magnitude with any of the youth we got here.

Shame.

Varane was 18 when he moved to Real and Kurt was 19 when he finally came here after his St. Etienne loan back. Yes, Zouma has played less often than Varane did in his first season but that can be explained by the fact that Varane is already seen as one of the best in the world. While no one is making that claim for Kurt, I think he's played enough so that those people who are happy to quote Varane as a demonstration of Jose promoting youth, should be prepared to accept Zouma as another example of the same thing. Jose probably would.

As far as academy products are concerned, I'm one of those who believe that none of our prospects were anywhere near the required standard during JM I and that, so far, none of our current crop is quite ready to make the grade for JM II. Zouma played because Jose felt he was the best player available in certain situations but, the others have really only been given minutes to encourage them along.

I know that for some people Jose will never get this monkey off his back until one or two of our lads come through, but before that can happen, some development players will have to show Jose that they are ready to move up the pecking order.

I do have to say one thing that I'm majorly disappointed with Mourinho is in what he promised at the beginning.

That he was going to use young players from the academy.

It's the second half of the second season and still nothing.

People was raving about his success with Varane, but I have yet to see him having an impact of similar magnitude with any of the youth we got here.

Shame.

Where are the academy players of Arsenal, City, united right now? How many academy players has Guardiola introduced at Bayern?

We are fighting for the title in the maybe most competitive league where every point is valuable and you want him to throw youngers into the team?

You will be the one blaming the manager when the title is lost because of that. Why do people have to comment on things they know nothing about?

Varane was 18 when he moved to Real and Kurt was 19 when he finally came here after his St. Etienne loan back. Yes, Zouma has played less often than Varane did in his first season but that can be explained by the fact that Varane is already seen as one of the best in the world. While no one is making that claim for Kurt, I think he's played enough so that those people who are happy to quote Varane as a demonstration of Jose promoting youth, should be prepared to accept Zouma as another example of the same thing. Jose probably would.

As far as academy products are concerned, I'm one of those who believe that none of our prospects were anywhere near the required standard during JM I and that, so far, none of our current crop is quite ready to make the grade for JM II. Zouma played because Jose felt he was the best player available in certain situations but, the others have really only been given games to encourage them along.

I know that for some people Jose will never get this monkey off his back until one or two of our lads come through, but before that can happen, some development players will have to show Jose that they are ready to move up the pecking order.

Yes but how's that's going to happen if they hardly get time?

I mean even the insignificant games we get hardly any time for them....

Your probably right, however he shouldn't be sacked, the competition for top 4 is going to be bigger than ever in the coming years never mind the title, we let Jose go and make another Scolari style error we will be in serious trouble.

That is true. The only coaches who you could really argue are currently better than Jose (Guardiola & Simeone) don't look like coming here anytime soon so we'd just be replacing Mourinho with an inferior manager. That said if we do go trophyless again it would likely confirm suspicions that he isn't as 'special' as he once was.

Simeone lost to Piräus and was totally dominated by Barca recently.

Guardiola is playing in a league with virtually no opponent and his first real test he totally fucked up losing out to Real 0-5 on aggregate.

Sometimes I really wonder if you bunch criticizing Mourinho really are that dumb or just pretending to be?

That is true. The only coaches who you could really argue are currently better than Jose (Guardiola & Simeone) don't look like coming here anytime soon so we'd just be replacing Mourinho with an inferior manager. That said if we do go trophyless again it would likely confirm suspicions that he isn't as 'special' as he once was.

Not nesseserily, if the first half of the season is anything to go by one of us or City could get late 80's points and not win the league, in those circumstances you have to turn around and say fair play.

If we sack Mourinho, he could well end up in Manchester.

Yes but how's that's going to happen if they hardly get time?

I mean even the insignificant games we get hardly any time for them....

The point is I think that they have to earn that time by what they show Jose in training, in development games, in the few minutes they do get or while out on loan. I agree it's tough for them but I fear that's the way it is.

It'll only confirm those suspicions for those who have them in the first place. I have to say that I don't.

Next year will be my 50th anniversary as a Chelsea fan so I've seen a lot of managers. In all that time I have only had a personal commitment to one of them. I am an arch sceptic; some believe we have a squad full of high class players but I don't even think we can field one XI of such players. I am most definitely not easy to please. The Doc, Dave Sexton, Eddie Mac, The Italians, even Guus; none of them mean anything to me. So, when I say Jose does, it is not something I say lightly.

Not nesseserily, if the first half of the season is anything to go by one of us or City could get late 80's points and not win the league, in those circumstances you have to turn around and say fair play.
Really? Not winning any trophy for 3 seasons (excluding the Spanish Community Shield) with that Real Madrid team and this Chelsea side is failure. Easy to make excuses but that's the truth.

If we sack Mourinho, he could well end up in Manchester.

Wouldn't be surprised by that at all.

The only problem I have with him is his negativity away from home and the old fashioned mentality of play safe 1st leg, nick a goal and hold on to it for dear life. That is why even at Madrid he never handed out a battling score line of 4-0, 3-0...etc away to a big team, it is always a draw or a close victory. Suspect if he was still Madrid manager last season I doubt they would have won 4-0 away to Bayern, after that Ramos 1st goal it is probably full on defending, aka Liverpool yesterday.

He needs to realize eventually that sometime OUR TEAM IS CAPABLE of handing out those beating scorelines away from home too. We are not Chelsea 04-05 or Porto anymore and do not need to have a inferior complex. Lets see if he has learned his lesson in a few weeks when we play PSG away, I doubt it but maybe for once he might surprise me like Wenger did at City last week. Always, always set up to be conservative in big game, EVEN AFTER WE HAVE TAKEN THE INITIATIVE/LEAD. Could argue Simeones is the same but his Madrid team is not as capable of dominating the whole match as this Chelsea team with much more flair players.

How can Chelsea fans even think about sacking Mourinho?! Would love to see him go to Manchester if we sack him and f**k us in every encounter

Are you a Mourinho fan or Chelsea fan? Also that would never happen because he'd play for a draw at Stamford Bridge every time :P

The point is I think that they have to earn that time by what they show Jose in training, in development games, in the few minutes they do get or while out on loan. I agree it's tough for them but I fear that's the way it is.

Like kdb?

The only problem I have with him is his negativity away from home and the old fashioned mentality of play safe 1st leg, nick a goal and hold on to it for dear life. That is why even at Madrid he never handed out a battling score line of 4-0, 3-0...etc away to a big team, it is always a draw or a close victory. Suspect if he was still Madrid manager last season I doubt they would have won 4-0 away to Bayern, after that Ramos 1st goal it is probably full on defending, aka Liverpool yesterday.

He needs to realize eventually that sometime OUR TEAM IS CAPABLE of handing out those beating scorelines away from home too. We are not Chelsea 04-05 or Porto anymore and do not need to have a inferior complex. Lets see if he has learned his lesson in a few weeks when we play PSG away, I doubt it but maybe for once he might surprise me like Wenger did at City last week. Always, always set up to be conservative in big game, EVEN AFTER WE HAVE TAKEN THE INITIATIVE/LEAD. Could argue Simeones is the same but his Madrid team is not as capable of dominating the whole match as this Chelsea team with much more flair players.

I've had conversations with people who blamed him for the quality of football whereas I always argued that it was the lack of creative technique in our players that was to blame. I know that you, or others, will disagree but I think that view has been vindicated. We now have players who are capable of moving the ball better than was the case during JM I and the football has improved. Give him the players and he can give you the football you want.

My current belief is that if we replace Willian & Oscar with more capable players, if we strengthen the back line so it does not require quite as much protection, and if we add depth in the CM positions so that we can rest our two starters without dropping many levels of quality, we will be able to go toe-to-toe with the big teams, wherever, whenever.

Meanwhile I simply do not believe any other manager could have taken us as close to a title win last season as Jose did. We handicapped him last time with too many ordinary players then blamed him for the inevitable result and parted company. It would be criminal if we were to blow it again when we are on the verge of getting it right.

All the above, is just my opinion of course. Other points of view are available. :)

Could argue Simeones is the same but his Madrid team is not as capable of dominating the whole match as this Chelsea team with much more flair players.

In the CL SF Atletico dominated and took the game to us at Stamford Bridge after half time even though they were already ahead on away goals. Would Mourinho have done that if the situation was reversed? Absolutely not. Compare our performance at the Vicente Calderon to theirs at the Bridge and the difference is immense. Also did you not watch Atletico's last encounter with Real Madrid (completely dominated the 2nd half) or their second leg against Barca in the CL last season where they could have scored 2-3 goals in the first half. Simeone, like Mourinho, doesn't particularly like having possession in the big games but a big difference is that he doesn't give up on attacking after taking the lead.

Edited by The Chels