test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

DavidEU

19. Diego Costa

Started by DavidEU,

7,590 posts in this topic

(I for one have been calling him shit WHILST he bangs in goals, so don't include me in that. He really is terrible.)

He stopped running entirely, not 1 more jog, around 87 minutes in (I made a mental note), and we had around 4 minutes added time. So for 7 minutes in that scenario, then plus all the other moments he stood there while i was observing someone else/peeing/eating, he stood around, which when added up, would be for around 20 minutes. If the ball he was playing meant he ended up on the wing, he stayed there, leaving no striker up top. If he passed the ball to the United defender (which he did, which lead to our first sign of pressure in 15+ mins), he just stood there, right where he lost the ball, not even jogging, while all the rest of the team run back to our goal to stop the possible goal Diego just gave them.

Is it Conte's tactics or is it Diego? Either way, it is unacceptable for a player to not be out of breath vs. a fierce rival. The likes of them are despised in every team and rightly so; they know how to kick a ball, but they don't know football. Diego can kick a ball, push an impressive bench-press and no more.

If you can't expect your striker to give his best vs. Manchester United, nor Sunderland, you can't expect much from them in the Champions League. If you neither excel vs. the top teams nor neither excel vs. the bottom teams you are by process of elimination, average. Costa is an average striker considering what Chelsea can attract. Those are the best words to sum up what could turn into another Oscar-like fiasco, unless we act early.

Cut him while the memories are good, not when our reality turns sour. Foresight is a gift only humans are blessed with; let's use it.

quickpassnmove likes this

His performance is frustrating but my main issue is the antics..no need! Just get on with the game!! When he has got his head in it he is a fab player but when he's pissing around/rolling at the slightest touch sod off!

Wouldn't mind replacing him this summer. Whenever he receives the ball, I'm certain he'll lose it. 

Great season overall but we can do better 

nono likes this

Love him to death but can't shake the feeling that we'd be even better next season with a more technically gifted, top class footballing striker up top instead. Diego is brilliant off the ball and is a world class, deadly finisher but his technical ability is just frankly poor. So many attacking moves are killed at his feet.

Not sure who that player would be, though.

5 minutes ago, Pizy said:

Love him to death but can't shake the feeling that we'd be even better next season with a more technically gifted, top class footballing striker up top instead. Diego is brilliant off the ball and is a world class, deadly finisher but his technical ability is just frankly poor. So many attacking moves are killed at his feet.

Not sure who that player would be, though.

If we can sell him to China there will be quite a few options for us to replace him with. Maybe we can get Icardi/Belotti/Dembele etc. 

Awful performance...as usual. Sometimes he scores a goal but his usual contribution is rubbish.

But some people don't care which is frightening. As long as he scores they're happy - they don't care that he breaks down 99% of our moves or that he misses good chances to kill games (two last night). As long as he scores just the ONCE, then all is forgiven.

Peace. likes this

Ask Atletico fans 'Costa or Griezmann?' and they'll laugh hysterically before answering

I would like that Belotti kid. Even Lukaku is better with the ball than Costa, he really is technically poor. Because he scores goals shouldn't give him immunity to criticism of his overall game. 

1 hour ago, Leif said:

Ask Atletico fans 'Costa or Griezmann?' and they'll laugh hysterically before answering

Answer me this mate, how many La liga titles does Griezmann have with Atletico?

9 minutes ago, NiclasCFC said:

Answer me this mate, how many La liga titles does Griezmann have with Atletico?

He has none, while Costa has 1, just like Mata has none, while Willian has 1.

Mceachran, 11Drogba and manpe like this

Just think he needs to focus 100% on himself and himself only. Just play football! It seemed as though he had decided from minute 1 last night that he would fight with Rojo all game long and proceeded to do just that. Constantly asking for fouls, diving around, cursing at the refs. He let his personal battles effect his play.

The Diego Costa we saw early in the season is world class. When he's trying to prove his doubters wrong. The Diego Costa of last night and that we've seen a lot of since the January fiasco is a detriment more than a help.

The league isn't over so we really need him to sharpen up.

11Drogba and kellzfresh like this

36 minutes ago, Pizy said:

Just think he needs to focus 100% on himself and himself only. Just play football! It seemed as though he had decided from minute 1 last night that he would fight with Rojo all game long and proceeded to do just that. Constantly asking for fouls, diving around, cursing at the refs. He let his personal battles effect his play.

The Diego Costa we saw early in the season is world class. When he's trying to prove his doubters wrong. The Diego Costa of last night and that we've seen a lot of since the January fiasco is a detriment more than a help.

The league isn't over so we really need him to sharpen up.

Exactly. He's been poor since 2017.

I knew he had poor ball control, but in the beginning of the season, he used one touch passing to runners a lot instead of holding unto the ball and loosing it these days like torres.

I hate the fact that he doesn’t know how to open up an angle for a shot. In the 50th and 63rd minutes he had chances to open up the angle and shoot, but instead he tries to dribble more, loses the ball yet again and in the second instance looks for a penalty after taking another touch instead of shooting. 

He's a major reason why it looks like we just pass around the box without penetration. He needs to behave like a striker who love to shoot instead of behaving like a defender afraid of shooting.  

The Skipper and manpe like this

On 07/03/2017 at 0:13 PM, Polo7 said:

He isnt supposed to start off attacks, he is supposed to finish them. His goals have won us many games this season. Yesterday was another one. I dont care if he cant dribble as well as Hazard or pass like Fabregas. As long as he keeps scoring.

So yesterday was a typical 2017 Costa performance minus the goal. How do you rate it? Your striker isn't going to score every game, when he doesn't he needs to show something else otherwise he becomes detrimental. Yesterday he killed so many chances for us and lost so much possession it was not funny, it was like watching an amateur player, seriously. And the yellow card he picked up was stupid, it started off by him trying a dribble which reminded more of some Benny Hill sketch and then dove in with no chance to get there in time, completely unnecessary. And he knows nobody is going to replace him no matter what he does or doesn't do, except time-waste Batshuayi for the last 3 seconds. That performance yesterday was worse than I thought he could produce. He better get his shit together or China will be his only suitor.