Cesc Fàbregas

Tomo

Mourinho didn't buy him to come and defend - his defensive work isn't amazing but it's adequate, just like someone like Modric's is. Just to reiterate: Mourinho bought him. Mourinho also thinks Ozil is the best number 10 in the world - he's bought him because he wanted him and because he thinks he can perform in the role he'll put him in. Don't know why you're worrying about that.

Bayern under JH also had players that aren't known for their pace in the midfield in Schweinsteiger and Kroos in his system but they still managed to implement a high press attacking system. It's a myth that you just need super fast players for something like that to work.

Yes but it doesn't make sense if he has the same issue that mata and kbd had.

He really isn't as slow as some make out to be here. True he doesn't have blistering pace like a Ramires but he's got respectable speed.

He's already used to the fast paced style of the PL. I wouldn't be too worried about that at all IMO.

This. In fact on the ball he is very good at running at speed with the ball and creating a chance or scoring a goal. You just have to look at clips of his days at Arsenal to know that he is no slouch. I will name a few that strike out the most and there are more. When Arsenal beat Milan 2-0 at the San Siro a few years ago there is a perfect example of him using his ability and acceleration on the ball. He is not blessed with speed but he is very effective when running with the ball. Also when Arsenal battered Tottenham 3-0 I think it was a few years ago, Fabregas must have run past around 4 players from near the half way line and ended up scoring a fantastic goal.

His lack of pace is nothing to worry about as you stated. In fact he does not have a lack of pace. He just is not blessed with blistering pace as you said. I think people will be surprised with how effective he is while running at speed.

Mata wasn't just let go due to his defensive work rate. Mata showed more effort defensively than Hazard. Jose preferred Oscar as the starter; Mata wasn't happy just being the second option and was let go. Similarly, I think if we had Ozil and Oscar became 2nd choice, he'd probably want out and Chelsea would grant him his wish.

Cesc is no defensive wonder, and that's why a 4-3-3 would be ideal. In a three-man midfield you don't need all of them to be aces defending. Matic is a lion and Oscar is as annoying as they get pressing and tackling his opponents. Their presence alone takes off a lot of pressure and need for Cesc to be a great defender. I do have a slight worry though if we continue to play 4-2-3-1 - although even then Oscar will help him.

What he comes to add mostly is quality and someone that can dictate the tempo, provide through-balls and long passes with quality and good accuracy, mobility and when we face those teams parking the bus one more pair of eyes and legs to create us chances. We already have an upgrade to the strikers, but if you don't have the guys that will provide them the chances - especially the kind of Costa and Lukaku (who can't create much by themselves) - you need as many midfielders feeding them. That's why Cesc is coming, to fill our midfield, to provide alternatives, to win us the midfield and feed our attackers - especially Costa and Schürrle with fast thinking, good vision that result in key passes. Oscar and Matic are there to provide defensive cover and help and again, Cesc isn't useless marking and pressing. As many insisted on comparing Mata (makes no sense in my head as I don't see him being here to be our #10 except on occasion), he's faster, stronger, more annoying to opponents and marks and presses better. He's used to a deep position, even if he may prefer a more advanced one. Perfect fit imo.

Mata wasn't just let go due to his defensive work rate. Mata showed more effort defensively than Hazard. Jose preferred Oscar as the starter; Mata wasn't happy just being the second option and was let go. Similarly, I think if we had Ozil and Oscar became 2nd choice, he'd probably want out and Chelsea would grant him his wish.

Whaaaaat? Hazard works far harder in defence than bloody Juan Mata.

Whaaaaat? Hazard works far harder in defence than bloody Juan Mata.

In his (Chelsea?) defense (no pun intended), I sort of interpreted him saying that Mata worked hard in defense in a different way.

I remember one of Mata's first games for United some of the commentators were analyzing the shape of the United team as it absorbed pressure on a few occasions, and they picked out and highlighted Mata on the reel and it was kinda funny to watch as he scrambled around desperately trying to find someone to mark. I mean, love the guy to death, but jumping into Moyes system for him it was like watching him chase a chicken around the pitch. He was turning in circles, closing down needless spaces, marking players who were already marked, it was just funny.

His effort = huge

His effective defending = much less huge

He definitely expended a lot of energy, it was just...misdirected, to put it lightly. Idk, maybe he's gotten better lately.

I think you are right, though, Hazard was a bit more effective in defending, albeit didn't work as hard.

Why is great speed so important when he can travel with a great pass. I think we finally got our own pirlo because as fabregas gets older and looses more pace he will naturally adapt to DLP just like pirlo and lampard to a lesser extent. He will be here for a long time for sure because of this adaptability.

I think he will give oscar adequate competition also in the no. 10 role for a few seasons then settle permanently at DLP later which is what I think he was brought in for.

Fabregas- World class vision and passing, scores 10 goals or more, adequate pace, adequate pressing, scores with both feet and head, good midfield technique in general, tactically versatile.

Oscar- World class pressing and tactical awareness, Adequate vision and passing, scores 10 goals or more, adequate pace, adequate midfield technique, scores with both feet and head.

Matic- World class tackling with feet and head, world class tactical awarewness in front of defense. Adequate passing and vision. Scores 4 or 5 goals a season.

I think none of our midfielders is complete in all aspects(but who is anyway) but the three make up a very, very conplete and balanced midfield. I expect our strongest line up to be as below.

---------Cech/courtoise(who cares)----

Ivanovic---Cahill---Terry---Left back

-------------------Matic-----------

----------Fabregas-----------------

--------------Oscar-----------------

Willian------------------------Hazard-

--------------Diego Costa-----------

He was truly immense in the EPL. I used to see him as the best passer I had seen in the EPL since I started watching. So much that I called him "Fabrepass" ;)

I just hope barca havent ruined him

If anything his time at Barca will make him more determined to prove they fucked up by letting him go ;)

This guy could be amazing for us

What about the fact that he's slow?

I thought we would play a fast agreesive high tempo game with a lot of pressing?

Pace has little to nothing to do with the tempo of the game. Ramires is one of the quickest out there, but is our game really faster with him? Doubt it, his decisions and technique often pull our offensive tempo down despite him being able to run like Gump. The ball is always faster than any player, and Fabregas is exactly that - a ball playing midfielder, not a runner, because an accurate ball travels faster and poses more danger than simply trying to run through things. Our tempo will be quicker with him, mainly because hopefully we'll be able to stick more passes together and not be limited to giving the ball to Ivanovic for a deep cross.

Excited.

Yes but he can't defend, hes a bit lazy like Ozil.

We got rid of kdb and mata because of that.

As much as fans like to think they know what goes on, you and I don't know why Mata and KDB were sold.

Mourinho is a huge Ozil fan, he's a big fan of Sneijder as well. They're both very poor defensively.

Edit: Fabregas is comfortably much better defensively than Ozil, Mata and KDB btw.

Yes but he can't defend, hes a bit lazy like Ozil.

We got rid of kdb and mata because of that.

KDB and Mata were already squad members, but it was Mourinho's decision to sign Fabregas. It would be ridiculous if we got rid of him in january.

KDB and Mata were already squad members, but it was Mourinho's decision to sign Fabregas. It would be ridiculous if we got rid of him in january.

Like van gaal getting rid of fellani? That will not happen this Jose choice