Willian

Jase

4 hours ago, BlueLion. said:

These threads are really quiet when players are in form, aren't they... he's proving a lot of people (myself included...) wrong with his performances. He isn't anywhere close to being as sensational as some Chelsea fan are making him out to be, but he is, nonetheless, playing some great football and seems to be enjoying the level of leadership entrusted in him by Lampard. 

I think it's more a case of his qualities being more complementary to the players around him.

Last two years we only had one reliable scorer which was Hazard and even he wasn't troubling Auba, Aguero, Salah, Kane as far as the golden boot was concerned which meant Willians lack of end product was highlighted more as we could have really done with better numbers from him.

This year it's a completely different ball game. Tammy, Mount and Odoi are getting the goals and assists he lacks while he brings the game management qualities that those boys are lacking right now, so in turn that means we can focus on appreciating Willians strengths as opposed to bemoaning his end product. Its a really mutually beneficial relationship between him and the academy lads.

With the numbers the three above are producing it doesn't matter too much if Willian doesn't score again this season, in that sense it's back to the days of Costa/Hazard/Oscar/better version Pedro where anything he offers in terms of goals are a bonus because we have enough of them elsewhere, thankfully.

On 20/10/2019 at 3:56 AM, 1905didierblue said:

Hmmm. so no appreciation? Nothing? Oh well. 

He got all the appreciation after Lille game deservedly. Against Newcastle we had at least 6 players with better performances like Pulisic or Kovacic... I didn't see your appreciation in Kova thread? 

6 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

He got all the appreciation after Lille game deservedly. Against Newcastle we had at least 6 players with better performances like Pulisic or Kovacic... I didn't see your appreciation in Kova thread? 

Go read the match thread. And my post after the game. 

Also, I am not someone who has been at KOVA's throat every time he takes the field. The only time I was at his throat was when he was not a Chelsea player. So stop bringing that one thing up and quoting it out of context.

And pulisic was better than willian? 6 players were better than willian? LOLOLOLOL. Sure. The only players who were better than willian on saturday were Jorginho, CHO and probably Kova. 

Edited by 1905didierblue

20 minutes ago, Jason said:

Recalled to Brazil NT for next month's matches.

I expect his form to drop afterwards. I suspected that his absence in the last two breaks meant he had a slight sharpness-advantage over his younger competitors. Let's hope he gets a confidence boost that makes up for that. Cool pic tho

Willian speaks out on Chelsea future after fresh Barcelona transfer links

https://metro.co.uk/2019/10/25/willian-speaks-chelsea-future-fresh-barcelona-transfer-links-10981642/

Willian has ruled out a return to Brazil in the summer, but was cagey over his Chelsea future amid fresh links to Barcelona. The attacker’s current deal expires at the end of the season and several top clubs in Europe, including Juventus and Barcelona, are keeping tabs on his situation, spotting a potential bargain. Brazilian giants Corinthians, where Willian began his career, are thought to be keen on bringing the 31-year-old home but he is intending to stay in Europe for the foreseeable future.

Whether or not that will be at Stamford Bridge remains unclear. Willian insists there is a ‘market’ for him to remain in Europe, amid interest from some of the continent’s top clubs, but he stopped short of staying he will stay in west London. He told Esporte Interativo: ‘Of course when you talk about Corinthians, the club that launched me, I have a great affection. But honestly, I don’t think about returning to Brazil.’

snip

8 minutes ago, Vesper said:

Willian speaks out on Chelsea future after fresh Barcelona transfer links

https://metro.co.uk/2019/10/25/willian-speaks-chelsea-future-fresh-barcelona-transfer-links-10981642/

Willian has ruled out a return to Brazil in the summer, but was cagey over his Chelsea future amid fresh links to Barcelona. The attacker’s current deal expires at the end of the season and several top clubs in Europe, including Juventus and Barcelona, are keeping tabs on his situation, spotting a potential bargain. Brazilian giants Corinthians, where Willian began his career, are thought to be keen on bringing the 31-year-old home but he is intending to stay in Europe for the foreseeable future.

Whether or not that will be at Stamford Bridge remains unclear. Willian insists there is a ‘market’ for him to remain in Europe, amid interest from some of the continent’s top clubs, but he stopped short of staying he will stay in west London. He told Esporte Interativo: ‘Of course when you talk about Corinthians, the club that launched me, I have a great affection. But honestly, I don’t think about returning to Brazil.’

snip

New 3-year contract extension coming!

10 minutes ago, communicate said:

One goal, one "assist" (his pressing was the one that caused Burnley turnover). Good at retaining the ball, press well. As long as he is healthy, pretty much a guaranteed starter.

Hard to argue with that. Frank really likes him.

17 minutes ago, communicate said:

One goal, one "assist" (his pressing was the one that caused Burnley turnover). Good at retaining the ball, press well. As long as he is healthy, pretty much a guaranteed starter.

But what happens when we need to rest him? Who's going to play his role? 

Willian will retain his place after his solid overall performance and his goal was well-taken. Their goalie dealt poorly with all those low shots tho.

this shows just how much quality we have. CHO came in as undisputed starter, then Pulisic starts performing again and he is out of the first XI.