Join Talk Chelsea and join in with the discussions! Click Here

Willian

Jase

7 minutes ago, Jason said:

Yes but are they really that desperate to offer another year as option on top of what is already a silly long term deal for a 32-year-old? 

It's not desperate if it's a club option. There's literally no risk for them that way, if anything it's better for them because if he's a big success and keeps his level going near the end of the contract they could just activate it and keep him for another year or if they're planning to sell him in two years they might even be able to get a small fee with the contract length being effectively two years due to the option (even without actually activating it).

But like I said if it's some performance related option or if Willian himself has any say in whether to activate it or not, Arsenal have been totally duped.

9 minutes ago, Jype said:

It's not desperate if it's a club option. There's literally no risk for them that way, if anything it's better for them because if he's a big success and keeps his level going near the end of the contract they could just activate it and keep him for another year or if they're planning to sell him two years from now they might be able to get a fee with the contract length being effectively two years due to the option (even without actually activating it).

But like I said if it's some performance related option or if Willian himself has any say in whether to activate it or not, Arsenal have been totally duped.

I know, I know but unless Arsenal have a crystal ball to look into the future and know he will still be good 2-3 years from now, giving the 3+1 deal is dumb. If Willian goes downhill from here, they are gonna have problems selling him because no other sane club in Europe will want to buy him and can afford his wages, unless Willian decides to take a pay cut. Based on what you said there, the additional year could then present a problem in the remaining length of the contract. It's almost as if Arsenal are not taking the signal that we aren't offering him more than 2 years.

19 minutes ago, Jason said:

I know, I know but unless Arsenal have a crystal ball to look into the future and know he will still be good 2-3 years from now, giving the 3+1 deal is dumb. If Willian goes downhill from here, they are gonna have problems selling him because no other sane club in Europe will want to buy him and can afford his wages, unless Willian decides to take a pay cut. Based on what you said there, the additional year could then present a problem in the remaining length of the contract. It's almost as if Arsenal are not taking the signal that we aren't offering him more than 2 years.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Willian in a good shape in 3 years time. Great athlete and seem very disciplined. Family man, healthy food, good sleep etc.. Players like him can play at a very good level until they're 35. Obviously nothing is guaranteed but if I had to give a 31 yo player a 3 year contract he would be on my list. It's a decent signing for Arsenal IMO. He's a short term option but they would be able to bring in someone else in a different position. Or knowing Arsenal it's possible this is the only way they could've signed anyone at all. Free or on loan.

Celebrate Willian’s career for Chelsea. He was a great player and a joy to watch. But everyone is free to enter into the contracts they choose to enter into (or not). Chelsea has better options at both wings now, so it makes sense for Willian to move on if he insists on a longer contract. If Arse are willing to offer him 4 years, we should just thank our lucky stars that we are not in that position.

4 hours ago, Jason said:

China league will always open the door for Old player from europe....with the more wages offcourse....lol

7 hours ago, Rapkun said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see Willian in a good shape in 3 years time. Great athlete and seem very disciplined. Family man, healthy food, good sleep etc.. Players like him can play at a very good level until they're 35. Obviously nothing is guaranteed but if I had to give a 31 yo player a 3 year contract he would be on my list. It's a decent signing for Arsenal IMO. He's a short term option but they would be able to bring in someone else in a different position. Or knowing Arsenal it's possible this is the only way they could've signed anyone at all. Free or on loan.

The problem with Willian is his main strengths, as Jype pointed out above, are his pace and workrate. Are those physical attributes still gonna be there in 2-3 years? Unlikely. He might still be decent but unlikely able to play at the highest level anymore. Plus, it is not like he has the creativity, vision or technical ability a la David Silva, for example, to compensate for that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, blu35_army said:

China league will always open the door for Old player from europe....with the more wages offcourse....lol

Not gonna happen. The Chinese FA introduced salary cap last year to prevent clubs from spending fortunes on foreign players and to encourage clubs to invest on local players instead. 

17 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

That is not unpopular opinion. Kalou and Malouda were better than Willian.

I mean when people try to praise Willian they say something like: he is good defensively lol. He is a winger ffs. And this tells you all.

Hmm, not really if he is just good defensively he won't last here. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Special Juan said:

100k to Willian but getting rid of 55 staff.....Arsenal the peoples club.

Shambles of a club. Also heard willian will be getting a 5m signing bonus and Kia (his agent) getting around 2m.

22 minutes ago, Special Juan said:

100k to Willian but getting rid of 55 staff.....Arsenal the peoples club.

So, this really came down to the years offered with the contract? :doh: 

In any case, hope he fails miserably there. 

• Like 1

Just now, Jason said:

So, this really came down to the years offered with the contract? :doh: 

In any case, hope he fails miserably there. 

And rightly he was fucked off, I'm glad the club held their stance.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

That is not unpopular opinion. Kalou and Malouda were better than Willian.

I mean when people try to praise Willian they say something like: he is good defensively lol. He is a winger ffs. And this tells you all.

I don´t even know about Malouda to be honest. Like Willian he was offensively a very inconsistent player, but never provided the workrate or balance like the brazilian. If I remember correctly his stats of the first two seasons aren´t any better than Willians, despite playing with the likes of Drogba and Anelka up top.

That being said the Malouda from March 09-October 2010 was easily better than Willian, but don´ t get me started on Maloudas form from Nov 2010 till he left Chelsea...

• Like 1

He will have 1 decent seasom for Arsenal and then they will start to regret ever giving him a contract at all, let alone 3 years 😃

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DDA said:

He will have 1 decent seasom for Arsenal and then they will start to regret ever giving him a contract at all, let alone 3 years 😃

It will be like in Chelsea... Couple of horrible games and one rare good game...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

It will be like in Chelsea... Couple of horrible games and one rare good game...

Can't wait for them to play Luiz Ozil and Willian fucking hell there's some work horses

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, bigbluewillie said:

Can't wait for them to play Luiz Ozil and Willian fucking hell there's some work horses

and Luiz in a back 2, on the right

get in some true ball-watching bobblehead action on those corners

and Özil will have cleat marks on his back from Willian not watching where he is going on a trackback

Özil has less pace and effort than the midfield stripe

• Like 1