Thibaut Courtois

Domino-

On 05/03/2016 at 5:42 PM, Amblève. said:

Of course him punching the ball into the middle of the 18-yard box is the fault of our defenders. Couldn't make this stuff up :lol:

I swear you twist things more than defense lawyers taking on hopeless cases.

I was talking in general, not today in isolation.

4 minutes ago, Tomo said:

I swear you twist things more than defense lawyers taking on hopeless cases.

I was talking in general, not today in isolation.

Nobody's speaking about goals he would have conceded anyway. We're talking about situations which should NEVER result in goals. It started last year with Thiago Silva's header and it's been the case with him throughout this whole season.

6 minutes ago, BlueLion said:

Begovic has been superior to him this season, absolutely no doubt about it in my eyes. And Begovic played when we were absolutely hopeless and looked like conceding every time the opposition came forward. Begovic has played less games yet kept more clean sheets and has a "better" concession rate. Statistics don't tell you everything but you can count on one hand the amount of costly errors Begovic has committed this season - the same does not apply for Courtois, who is taking his place for granted, simple as. VERY shaky. 

Bang on! Courtois is taking his place for granted and more important he is on a decline ... I rated Courtois over De Gea after his Madrid loan but in the last 2 years De Gea has just improved to move up among the best (Top 3 ease) while Courtois is been there where he has been...

It is surprising why does Hiddink not play Begovic in few games here and there ... Begovic wasnt bad when given a chance surely made less errors than Courtois ...

That was a massive mistake from him no matter how you dress it up. Yes, he made great saves today but if you are going to push the ball that you should be holding into the path of the opposition then the good saves mean fuck all.

Guus has rotated, he's talk of rotating and without hiding, this is one area he should of rotated in because Tibo of late has not been good enough.

1 hour ago, Tomo said:

The fact he often plays well but still concedes says more about the defenders than it does about him.

From Miranda and Godin to Ivan and Cahill, I think anyone will be having kittens.

Hit the nail on the head. Just take a look at the number and quality of chances Diouf had in front of goal today. 

Its easy to look at the one goal we conceded and point the finger at Courtois, when in reality the Belgian prevented them from going further than that.

No question our defense has been making life difficult for our keepers...Even Begovic would put in solid peformances for us only to concede because of the barrage of shots coming in from the opposition. 

On 05/03/2016 at 5:54 PM, Amblève. said:

Nobody's speaking about goals he would have conceded anyway. We're talking about situations which should NEVER result in goals. It started last year with Thiago Silva's header and it's been the case with him throughout this whole season.

For sure not the best period in his career right now but people are going overboard, it's not like he's done a Torres style decline, he will evevitably hit top form again soon and I said exactly the same with Costa when all in sundry wanted him dropped for Remy.

2 minutes ago, Tomo said:

For sure not the best period in his career right now but people are going overboard, it's not like he's done a Torres style decline, he will evevitably hit top form again soon and I said exactly the same with Costa when all in sundry wanted him dropped for Remy.

I don't think people are going overboard. People are concerned because he hasn't been good since he came back from injury. How many more soft goals conceded til you're concerned Tom?

Never liked how he got his starting place here. But I accepted it because he was our future. 

However his performances this season dont justify his place in team one bit.

If he wasnt at goal, we would be conceding 3 goals per game minimum, our defense is shocking at times. But what difference does it make if he keeps all shots but then makes terrible error and we concede anyway. We still dont win and right now its either win or nothing. League 4th is probably lost now unless miracle, while CL and FA will be all about wins and Tibo will have to be consistent for a change.

He used to be my favorite player, but to be honest I'm starting to go back to my old opinion: replacing Cech for Courtois was a mistake and hard to explain.

Cech was 32 years old when we got Courtois back, he is not old for a GK and he easily have at least more 5 years at top level. He wasn't as solid as before, but still one of the best in the world. We weren't watching every Atletico's games with Courtois, then we had YouTube, UCL crucial games and big games against Barcelona and Atlético. At this point I'm convinced he is not as solid as we thought. He can make some impossible saves, but in the same game he can conced a defensible goal. 2014 UCL Final he suffered a ridiculous goal from Marcelo. Last season I can remember Silva's goal in UCL, this season he was pretty bad in that Cavani goal. He still is a good GK, but I don't think at the end of the day Cech is worst than him. Cech was a club legend

On 05/03/2016 at 6:48 PM, Kieran. said:

I don't think people are going overboard. People are concerned because he hasn't been good since he came back from injury. How many more soft goals conceded til you're concerned Tom?

Im concerned he has let in a few soft goals yes, but like with Costa this season, I'm not worried in the medium to long term, he is a world class keeper and its only a matter of time before he returns to that status, after all Cech had his wobbles too.

I'm also not sure dropping him for Begovic even temporarily is the answer, despite him being far from his best he has still made impossible saves Asmir wouldn't have got near, Martial, Lingaard, Ibra for example, their is an argument he wouldn't have let in the same soft goals but even that isn't 100% certain, Davis vs Saints, Naismith's 3rd, Benteke and the goal Kiev scored in London he should have done a lot better with on every occasion.

Tibo needs to wake up a bit, but heis the least if our problems in the grande scheme of things.

Said it like 20 times that he should've been shipped off for £30m+ to any of the top clubs who would've paid that in a heartbeat for him so we could keep Cech 2-3 more seasons, buy a top player from Atletico then just scout up another goalie 'wunderkid' when Cech's done.

The board wanted a scouting mission to pay off so much they disregarded a legend who's the better player.

4 hours ago, BlueLyon said:

Never liked how he got his starting place here. But I accepted it because he was our future. 

What exactly are you saying by that ? I remember clearly when Mourinho tried to bring Thibaut back in 2013 but he was already tied to another season with Atletico and Mou said that unfortunately they have to wait another year for him.

After he eventually come back he was chosen because he was simply the better goalkeeper. There were no two questions about that as Cech was relatively poor and Courtois outstanding. Shocking that I can't recall the exact games but I remember I was reading an article when there was pointed out where Mourinho had enough of Cech. And please, Mourinho is the biggest opportunitist around and we know that, he choose Courtois because he was the better player who could help him land the title.