Chelsea 2-2 Newcastle

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah. I'd liken Josh to Gerrard in a sense of sitting in the middle supplying the killer balls. Of course Gerrard has a much better attacking instinct, which he's never quite exploited, but Josh is certainly more of a Gerrard & Lampard.

If you're looking for player to compare Josh with, you should stay away from Gerrard and Lampard (any English midfielder around now actually). Gerrard is a power-player. He wouldn't have achieved what he has achieved without his great physical attributes. Josh doesn't have that but can achieve (talking about status in football) just as much as Gerrard. He can easily achieve more if nothing goes wrong.

What we need is a long rest. Nearly all our big name players went to the World Cup and had very little rest throughout the last two years. We by far had the most WC names in the last WC. There was one positive from today and that was Josh!

If you're looking for player to compare Josh with, you should stay away from Gerrard and Lampard (any English midfielder around now actually). Gerrard is a power-player. He wouldn't have achieved what he has achieved without his great physical attributes. Josh doesn't have that but can achieve (talking about status in football) just as much as Gerrard. He can easily achieve more if nothing goes wrong.

Josh is 18, he can still grow, hopefully he will and bulk up a little, will come handy- so get drinking milk, Josh :D

We'll see.

Ajax champions. Didn't see that comming in February.:whisky:

Yup. Party time :dude:.

Josh is 17, he can still grow, hopefully he will and bulk up a little, will come handy

I don't think you get my point. Josh doesn't need it ;) (he's 18 btw).

I had a terrible stream, was Josh playing DM? Would it have made more sense to have played Mikel or Essien in that role and had Josh more forward?

I think Carlo is trying to make him into a Makele kind of player. Controlling the play of the game from an alternative view other then attack, meaning we could be able to open attacks from nothing more and could be more deadlier on the counter attack.

In some ways, i can see why he would want to mold Josh into that way - his composure, vision and slick style - really does help him build time on the ball, which he can work more within the holding role then he would in an attacking one.

Yeah. I'd liken Josh to Gerrard in a sense of sitting in the middle supplying the killer balls. Of course Gerrard has a much better attacking instinct, which he's never quite exploited, but Josh is certainly more of a Gerrard & Lampard.

Id say Conor Clifford was more of a Gerrard than Josh.

Every time after a shameful performance I say to myself this is a one-off, it won't happen again, blah blah. And every time, I'm proven wrong. It was painful to watch us play today. Just no desire, no commitment, no fight, no creativity, I could go on. The players looked like they were holidaying already, Carlo looked helpless, the fans were probably wondering if they'd be better off getting a tan somewhere. Couldn't help but laugh when they equalised. Perfect summary of how our season's gone. Decent, but not good enough.

How did Anelka, Lampard and Torres manage 90 minutes? The phrase 'shadow of a player he once was' is an understatement for Lamps. And it's excruciating to watch. I've grown up loving the man and it's just unbelievable it's the same guy. Oh well, victim of his own high standards I guess. I can't remember one meaningful contribution made by Anelka. Torres - well, the less said, the better. Congratulations on the assist, btw <_<. Then Carlo does his usual subs fuck-up. Taking off Bena who I thought was decent and doing all the right things and bringing on Malouda. All 4 of Malouda, Anelka, Drogba and Torres on the pitch together. God help us.

Both goals from set-pieces, says it all. Not one clear cut chance from open play. It's been done to death, but one creative force and two wingers, pretty please with custard on top.

About the first goal, no blame attached to anyone really. Even though Alex's pass sold out his partner, the deflection was as jammy as it gets. The second one though - where was the marking? Add this to Villa, Everton and whichever ones I forgot.

Cech - 6

Ivan - 7.5 (our best attacker, oddly, but not surprisingly when all the others were so poor)

Alex - 6.5

Terry - 6

Cole - 6

Josh - 6.5

Ramires - 6

Lampard - 5.5

Anelka - 3

Benayoun - 6

Torres - 3.5

Special mention to Josh, delighted for him to make his full league debut. Thought he was very calm initially but felt the pressure and made a couple of errors later on. Still, good debut, that one ball to Ashley in the first half and the one occasion where he maintained possession under pressure from two of their guys showed us what he's all about.

Keeping my liking for Carlo aside, if he's gonna be here next season, he's seriously got stuff to sort out and issues to address.

P.S. The new kit looks awesome in action!

Lampard was great last season, went to WC, had a short rest, even shorter pre-season to prepare for the next season.

Then an injury and he wasn't playing for too long.

Allmighty Giggs had a great pre-season, been in a good form this season.