Player of the Year 2010-11

44 members have voted

1. 1. Player of the Year?

So far, it is Petr Čech for me. He saved us so many times, incredible. The only frustrating thing is that in November and December, when he was simply amazing, his team mates failed to do anything on the pitch, were lazy, didn't fight etc. Otherwise our situation would have been even better, never mind.

Here's hoping he will carry on his form and help us again in the Champions League.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest, that was an awful penalty. Cech has had his best season for us tho since he was injured, that's for sure. If we're gonna have UCL glory, Cech and JT have the biggest roles to play and i have 100% confidence in them. imo they are the best in their positions in the world and their time is now.

Dont just say JT, vote JT!

:clown:I'm sure that was meant at me :blush: Sorry, did a quick vote for Cech initially but then when I started to think about it I realized the error of my ways (not that Cech isn't a bad choice). I didn't realize I could change my vote, still a relative newcomer to the forum.

Have to disagree on the overall message of that mate. Ivanovic has got one thing that most our players don't.. The ability to win the ball aerially above everyone else. I've lost count of how many times Ivanovic is the first man to meet a corner when attacking & defending! His had so many scoring opportunities from simply winning a header, over defenders who are much taller than himself.

Aside from his, his commitment to win the ball when one-on-one with a defender is next-to-none. He'll never commit too early for a ball and his strength is far more than Luiz's. His composure is also better than David Luiz's. He always runs after the ball to prevent corners & get them for throw ins instead. He's always there to get a block in when attackers are about to strike a ball, it doesn't matter how powerful the shot, he'll always sacrifice himself to prevent it going goal-wards.

You are right in the fact, he's been consistent because we've had injuries at the back. What makes Ivanovic different from that, is that he's always had a good personal game. Hardly ever puts a foot wrong & deserves an enormous amount of credit for that.

I'm sorry but maybe I wasn't clear with my post. I like Brano as a player, I just think he's overrated relative to some of our other players and don't think he's "Player of the Year" material. I agree with a most of your comments when it comes to his pros, I just disagree that those pros justify calling him player of the year. I mean seriously, just because he's fantastic in the air, or he works hard, or he'll sacrifice himself, or he's composed then he's POTY? Those are all fantastic qualities but he is far from the best player on the field at his peak performance level compared to Terry, Cech, Lampard, Drogba, Cole at their peak performance level. If there was an award for consistent player of the year then I'd give it to Brano hands down.