Player of the Year 2010-11

44 members have voted

1. 1. Player of the Year?

I'm sorry but maybe I wasn't clear with my post. I like Brano as a player, I just think he's overrated relative to some of our other players and don't think he's "Player of the Year" material. I agree with a most of your comments when it comes to his pros, I just disagree that those pros justify calling him player of the year. I mean seriously, just because he's fantastic in the air, or he works hard, or he'll sacrifice himself, or he's composed then he's POTY? Those are all fantastic qualities but he is far from the best player on the field at his peak performance level compared to Terry, Cech, Lampard, Drogba, Cole at their peak performance level. If there was an award for consistent player of the year then I'd give it to Brano hands down.

Ah fair enough then. I agree he wasn't my player of the year, because Cech was - But I understand what you meant now :)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry but maybe I wasn't clear with my post. I like Brano as a player, I just think he's overrated relative to some of our other players and don't think he's "Player of the Year" material. I agree with a most of your comments when it comes to his pros, I just disagree that those pros justify calling him player of the year. I mean seriously, just because he's fantastic in the air, or he works hard, or he'll sacrifice himself, or he's composed then he's POTY? Those are all fantastic qualities but he is far from the best player on the field at his peak performance level compared to Terry, Cech, Lampard, Drogba, Cole at their peak performance level. If there was an award for consistent player of the year then I'd give it to Brano hands down.

This season his performances are better than those of Lampard, Drogba and Cole.

This season his performances are better than those of Lampard, Drogba and Cole.

Agreed....solid player, important player, likeable player, very good player, but in my opinion if he's Player of the Year ever for Chelsea then that says more about everyone else's level that year than it does about his.

PotY awards are about performances and not actual skill..

Very few of our big stars have consistently performed at their peak this season so it's natural players of lesser ability will have a greater shout.

Agreed....solid player, important player, likeable player, very good player, but in my opinion if he's Player of the Year ever for Chelsea then that says more about everyone else's level that year than it does about his.

Sice when is Chelsea player of the season chosen because he is a world class player?

I think some of you are undervaluating Ivan. For most part he has been instrumental in our CB role and still is in the absence of Luiz but he is always picked over Bosingwa for the RB role. Sure he might not do overhead kicks, grab goals like Luiz has in the recent past but he has been there for us the whole season, he has always been an arial threat and he was horribly unlucky not to score during ManCity game. One thing that stick out in comments is also that you regard Ivanovic as a player who can't progress, i mean ofcourse if Ivan shines with his performances it's bcs others suck. Irony aside... - In my eyes he has made a big progress as a player, he is there for the team and plays with his heart and soul, that is what counts in my eyes.

If it's about glassmen like VdV/Robben/Ribery who are gamechangers when they actually are fit or stable contributors like Ivan, i take stability anyway.

PotY awards are about performances and not actual skill..

Very few of our big stars have consistently performed at their peak this season so it's natural players of lesser ability will have a greater shout.

That's understood, and when I used Lamps, Drogs, and Cole as examples I didn't for one second mean to suggest they deserved consideration this year. I just have a hard time considering players of "lesser ability" for an award like this. I just think that's a sad statement about the rest of the candidates. I know that sounds like I'm bashing Brano but I honestly like him. His performances have been very good this year, no doubt, and its great that he's getting recognized for his importance to the team, but it just boggles my mind that people would say his performances have been better than JT's or Cech's.

That's understood, and when I used Lamps, Drogs, and Cole as examples I didn't for one second mean to suggest they deserved consideration this year. I just have a hard time considering players of "lesser ability" for an award like this. I just think that's a sad statement about the rest of the candidates. I know that sounds like I'm bashing Brano but I honestly like him. His performances have been very good this year, no doubt, and its great that he's getting recognized for his importance to the team, but it just boggles my mind that people would say his performances have been better than JT's or Cech's.

No they haven't, but are well on par. He was there when JT and Alex were both injured.

It would be boring if JT wins it. Fans sing songs about him every game. They don't that much to Cech, that's one of the reasons why I am going to vote for Cech.

No they haven't, but are well on par. He was there when JT and Alex were both injured.

It would be boring if JT wins it. Fans sing songs about him every game. They don't that much to Cech, that's one of the reasons why I am going to vote for Cech.

If we're going for a non-boring non-JT vote then Cech is a fantastic choice.:tiphat:

I think some of you are undervaluating Ivan. For most part he has been instrumental in our CB role and still is in the absence of Luiz but he is always picked over Bosingwa for the RB role. Sure he might not do overhead kicks, grab goals like Luiz has in the recent past but he has been there for us the whole season, he has always been an arial threat and he was horribly unlucky not to score during ManCity game. One thing that stick out in comments is also that you regard Ivanovic as a player who can't progress, i mean ofcourse if Ivan shines with his performances it's bcs others suck. Irony aside... - In my eyes he has made a big progress as a player, he is there for the team and plays with his heart and soul, that is what counts in my eyes.

If it's about glassmen like VdV/Robben/Ribery who are gamechangers when they actually are fit or stable contributors like Ivan, i take stability anyway.

I respect Brano and I'm thankful that he's on our team. He's a vital solid player. I guess some of my posts may have come across as undervalueing him simply because I don't bow down to him but I just think some people overvalue him. That doesn't mean I hate the kid.

As for the glassmen/stability question, I'd rather have a balance. You can't have one without the other. I also happen to think that Cech and JT are far from glassmen and actually fit your definition of stability.

Cole's not actually been that bad this year in fairness. You have to appreciate last season was his ultimate peak and he will only sporadically reach those heights again. He's still been a consistent 7/10 player for us, bar the odd poor game.

• 4 weeks later...