Josh McEachran

Term-X

He's a one trick pony,

Good player but the way people talk about him you'd think he was Iniesta or Zidane MK2 or something. He couldn't even get into Arsenal's team, he was dropped for their best run of the season but he'd 'walk' into ours? Bore off lad.

It may seem like I'm hating but I'm just wondering out loud why an attacking midfielder who can't score nor create gets as much hype as he does to the point where its almost blasphemous to mention a similar type player with him. Like Pep said a couple of years ago, there are dozens of players like Wilshere in Spanish academies.

Eriksen, De Bruyne, Oscar, Thiago, Gotze, Kroos, Muller, Gundogan, Illaramendi, Isco, Verratti etc so many talented young midfielders out there that are better than Jack.

It may seem like I'm hating but I'm just wondering out loud why an attacking midfielder who can't score nor create gets as much hype as he does to the point where its almost blasphemous to mention a similar type player with him. Like Pep said a couple of years ago, there are dozens of players like Wilshere in Spanish academies.

Because, as TorontoChelsea has already mentioned in his post.... Wilshere is NOT an attacking midfielder. He is a central midfielder. Arsene Wenger said himself "He's a box-to-box player, more than just an holding midfielder". Scoring goals is not his job — that why he is being rated highly despite not scoring goals...

When you watch his contribution to an entire game, you see how he controls the tempo, and more importantly the way he can commit two or three players with a bursting run and then release the ball to players in the space he's created for them. There's certainly hype in England that goes over the top, but when he's got people like Schweinsteiger saying that he's one of the best players in his position in the world, or Alves saying he wants him at Barca, you have to admit the praise isn't just English people with rose tinted glasses on.

Out of all the midfielders that have played this pre season, only him seems to dictate the tempo comfortably. Mou should give him a start in the next game, just to see what he does.

Out of all the midfielders that have played this pre season, only him seems to dictate the tempo comfortably. Mou should give him a start in the next game, just to see what he does.

as much as i would love for this to happen, i think mou is more concerned about giving time to people he knows are gonna be in the squad, for eg- mvg, rambo, essien. also inter milan would be a good test to see how our current midfield fairs against good opposition.

Josh and the other 5 youngsters will fly back to England and will NOT join the team in the US tour and will be replaced by the returning players from the Confederation cup. So Mou definitely won't be giving Josh a chance next match.

Josh and the other 5 youngsters will fly back to England and will NOT join the team in the US tour and will be replaced by the returning players from the Confederation cup. So Mou definitely won't be giving Josh a chance next match.

Well that sux, next season then :)

Josh isn't going to make it at Chelsea. I think we just need to accept that. I watched him today and he was too lethargic off the ball and too sloppy on it. He may be able to cut the mistakes out of his game with time, but time isn't something that Chelsea are going to give him.

Ten mins of 2012-13 Josh McEachran highlights at Middlesborough(YouTube link): http://goo.gl/L4uK8h

There are more videos of highlights of him with the England U21s and of his appearances against Indonesia XI on the channel.

If you can't be bothered to watch all 10 minutes make sure you see 0:50.

I wish he was more hardworking off the ball, he seems so lethargic and casual off the ball which will make me too scared to place him in my pivot. He can only play in a role where he is protected by other DM's like pirlo in juventus.

He has massive talent and vision, but he has terrible work rate. If he plays as the attacking midfielder, his vision for passes from deep will be wasted. But if he plays deep, offers no defensive cover..... its confusing. He needs to buff up and develop his defensive side to finally step up into the team.

Spanish media reporting that Real Sociedad are in for McEachran.

A loan deal? I've always thought the La Liga would be the best fit for McEachran because there he could focus on improving his playmaking abilities instead of having to worry about the physical side of his game too much as that can be done later when he's more ready in other aspects. Real Sociedad have just lost their key midfielder Asier Illarramendi to Real Madrid and there could be an opening in the starting lineup but I'm not going to pretend I'm an expert on their team because I really haven't watched them that much and I don't know for sure how good their other midfielders and and what kind of football their new manager prefers. No point sending Josh on another Swansea-like loan where he's stuck on the bench but if they promised him regular first team football it could be a perfect opportunity for him to take the next step in his career because they really are a quality team and there is even the possibility of playing in the Champions League too if they can get through the qualifiers.