Nathaniel Chalobah

Clevemayer

Guest FullEnglishBreakfast

How would you assess a players development if he's better than the reserve team but not good enough to be in the first team yet? (eg McEachran)

How should I know? They only was to ascertain that information is to throw them into the deep end. Give em a few games and if they prevail they are worth it. There is no way of knowing they are good enough for the first team until they are given a shot at the first team.

the like's of pogba,de sciglio,badstubber,muller,rafael etc did not go out on loan.They were thrown into the deep end but they were talented(like chalobah) hence they worked hard and did not dissappoint their managers and fans.I would like to recall chalobah next year as an understudy to mikel and eventually replace him.

^^^This.

Pogba, from Manchester United's youth/Reserve, to Juventus first team, and France National Team (All in one season). Its just a matter of giving the kids some playing time. This is what exactly happens at Dortmund.

The sad reality is that our academy will never produce players for our first team on a regular basis. Realistically, you have to be one of the top 300 players in the world to be a regular at Chelsea. Its incredibly difficult to know which 13-14 year is eventually going to develop into the next John Terry, and even if you do spot a player with incredible potential, you have to compete with every other team in the world to sign them. Barcelona, is one of the few teams that produces top players on a regular basis. Yes, that partly has to do with training, but its also because of their immense reputation; almost every young player in Spain (and everywhere else) would give their left nut to play for them. However, even with that huge advantage, a vast majority of their youths will fail.

Lately, I think we have intelligently been targeting older players like Piazon, Lukaku, Courtois and Wallace who are further along in their development. The older a player is, the easier it is to project where they will end up.

What gets me excited about Chalobah is that he seems to be one of those rare players that exceeds expectations, and actually has a shot of making it out of the academy. He still has a lot to prove, but my money is on him making it.

I have raised this question before ..Why bother with an Academy at all . It is costing a lot of money and delivering next to nothing.

A few Youth trophies is scant return on the investment ,,, We have spent considerable money and got into trouble signing Wood Taiwo

and Kakuta and I am not even talking tongue in loftus Cheek. Stay with buying players in the age bracket 20 - 23 ,,forget the kids

I think loans have their place. For the likes of Bamford, Kane and Saville, they give them a chance to show something that they probably haven't shown in the youth team. Without loans, these kids wouldn't have a sniff of making it here so it gives them a way to make themselves stand out and make the coaches re-assess them.

For people like Kakuta, it's a chance to prove people wrong when people have written them off.

For the majority of talented youngsters like Chalobah, Lukaku and even Kalas and Courtois it's essentially a way of getting them used to first-team football. They learn what it's like getting ready for matches on a weekly basis and they learn something about their bodies in January when they're playing their third game in a week, which they wouldn't have learnt in the academy.

So they definitely have their place, but people can sometimes place too much stock in them.

And I'll say what I said earlier when people use this comparison - Chalobah is better than Cleverley could ever hope to be.

I have raised this question before ..Why bother with an Academy at all . It is costing a lot of money and delivering next to nothing.

A few Youth trophies is scant return on the investment ,,, We have spent considerable money and got into trouble signing Wood Taiwo

and Kakuta and I am not even talking tongue in loftus Cheek. Stay with buying players in the age bracket 20 - 23 ,,forget the kids

How much does it cost when you factor in the sales of players like Stoch, Mancienne, Sinclair, Cork etc.?

It's somewhat short-sighted (no offence) to think that we could survive in a post-FFP world without an academy. Right now we have a lot of very talented kids who have the potential to be first-teamers and we need more of that in the future.

I think loans have their place. For the likes of Bamford, Kane and Saville, they give them a chance to show something that they probably haven't shown in the youth team. Without loans, these kids wouldn't have a sniff of making it here so it gives them a way to make themselves stand out and make the coaches re-assess them.

For people like Kakuta, it's a chance to prove people wrong when people have written them off.

For the majority of talented youngsters like Chalobah, Lukaku and even Kalas and Courtois it's essentially a way of getting them used to first-team football. They learn what it's like getting ready for matches on a weekly basis and they learn something about their bodies in January when they're playing their third game in a week, which they wouldn't have learnt in the academy.

So they definitely have their place, but people can sometimes place too much stock in them.

And I'll say what I said earlier when people use this comparison - Chalobah is better than Cleverley could ever hope to be.

How much does it cost when you factor in the sales of players like Stoch, Mancienne, Sinclair, Cork etc.?

It's somewhat short-sighted (no offence) to think that we could survive in a post-FFP world without an academy. Right now we have a lot of very talented kids who have the potential to be first-teamers and we need more of that in the future.

we got next to nothing for those you mentioned,,, and we have been saying what talented kids we have for the last fifteen years

we got next to nothing for those you mentioned,,, and we have been saying what talented kids we have for the last fifteen years

The fees we got from those kids are in the millions, possibly eight figures, over the last decade. But I do agree that we should've seen more from the academy (although an England captain and one of the top five players in our history ain't too shabby) and I think that we will. If Chalobah reaches half his potential then that's probably saved us £10 million in the market, whilst there are a number of other youngsters who could make it.

If it's simply a financial decision then the market isn't any better to be honest because not every signing is going to be a winner and you'll lose money on some of your deals.

Also, wasn't John Hollins brought through our 'academy' such that it was in those days?

The fees we got from those kids are in the millions, possibly eight figures, over the last decade. But I do agree that we should've seen more from the academy (although an England captain and one of the top five players in our history ain't too shabby) and I think that we will. If Chalobah reaches half his potential then that's probably saved us £10 million in the market, whilst there are a number of other youngsters who could make it.

If it's simply a financial decision then the market isn't any better to be honest because not every signing is going to be a winner and you'll lose money on some of your deals.

Also, wasn't John Hollins brought through our 'academy' such that it was in those days?

Terry is the ONLY one in TWENTY years to come through ,,,,if you want to back to when we did develop[ young players you are back to

the 50s and 60s ..The only foreign players then were the other Brits

Terry is the ONLY one in TWENTY years to come through ,,,,if you want to back to when we did develop[ young players you are back to

the 50s and 60s ..The only foreign players then were the other Brits

So wouldn't an academy developing our own players (which is what everyone connected to the clubs) be the definition of bringing back the good old days?

Guest FullEnglishBreakfast

So wouldn't an academy developing our own players (which is what everyone connected to the clubs) be the definition of bringing back the good old days?

As far as I'm concerned the good old days are every day a Chelsea player lifted a new trophy...

Well, we do sell some of the players that don't make the first team to help balance the books, but yeah, financially it would probably make sense to drop it. However, from a fan perspective I would hate to see it go. For me, it's fun to learn about the new players coming in, and watching how they do. A vast majority will fail, but it feels extremely rewarding when one does make it. I guess its like playing the lottery; shit odds, but the hope of possibility winning makes it worthwhile.

He's off now for McEachran. He had a good half. Showed his passing range with some passes that were just inches off, barely lost the ball, an example to our midfield of how to hold a disciplined role in the pivot. He has a very good touch that he uses to his advantage in midfield, uses the ball intelligently and defensive work can't be ignored - very solid.