Enzo Maresca Thread

4 hours ago, Thor said:

You know - this is the first manager we've gotten where they haven't simply talked about how good a "man manager" he is.

I think Sarri comes to mind. And AVB before that. 

Not saying that Maresca is going to follow any of those examples.

Also, I'm going to keep saying Maresca.

We have a player called Enzo too, and it's going to confuse people at some point using the first name for both.

Posted (edited)

The style he likes his teams to play matter absolutely nothing if he does not get the results.

Besides, every time I ready about style it does not fool me one bit: they are thinking in repeating Arteta and mirror what City does.
Nobody likes to play beautiful football and lose. 🙂 

Edited by robsblubot

What is peoples biggest reservation? That he hasn’t coached PL before?

Eh. The ones that have are ones that have proven they aren’t good enough or mid table good. 

Glad we are going for it with something new. Leicester players rate him. All said he approached the game in a new way. Plus they all seem to like him. Another positive. 

Worked with Cole and Lavia before too. Think he will make our midfield click. Poch never really figured it out and our leads never felt safe even against small teams. 

His salary is less than half of Poch's salary. 4.2 million a year. 

Still don't get the eagerness to sign a 5+1 year deal though. 3+1 would be plenty of confidence shown in him I thought. 

6 hours ago, robsblubot said:

The style he likes his teams to play matter absolutely nothing if he does not get the results.

Besides, every time I ready about style it does not fool me one bit: they are thinking in repeating Arteta and mirror what City does.
Nobody likes to play beautiful football and lose. 🙂 

I think finding a coach to play repetitive attacking patterns football is a good idea. As boring as it may be, mirroring Arteta and Pep is the most pragmatic way to go about building a winning team. In a league where most teams will be playing a low block against us, its going to be important in most game weeks to have a team that controls the ball well and is able to build effective attacks.

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, Strike said:

I think finding a coach to play repetitive attacking patterns football is a good idea. As boring as it may be, mirroring Arteta and Pep is the most pragmatic way to go about building a winning team. In a league where most teams will be playing a low block against us, its going to be important in most game weeks to have a team that controls the ball well and is able to build effective attacks.

Yet people still raged about Tuchel's endless crosses into box and losing games with 99% possesion. The thing is, you need an extra edge in form of creative player(s), who can break the pattern and thus score when moment is right, something that City has plenty of, we not quite (actually proactive manager will do too perhaps), otherwise it will be same frustration as it was with Sarri or Tuchel aka lack of end product.

Edited by Vegetable

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, Vegetable said:

Yet people still raged about Tuchel's endless crosses into box and losing games with 99% possesion. The thing is, you need an extra edge in form of creative player(s), who can break the pattern and thus score when moment is right, something that City has plenty of, we not quite (actually proactive manager will do too perhaps), otherwise it will be same frustration as it was with Sarri or Tuchel aka lack of end product.

Tuchel did not prioritise drilling attacking patterns into the team. He always focused on a robust defensive setup. If Maresca can focus on the attack, he has creative players like Cole and Nkunku who are better than anyone in the group Tuchel had. 

Edited by Strike

3 minutes ago, Strike said:

Tuchel did not prioritise drilling attacking patterns into the team. He always focused on a robust defensive setup. If Maresca can focus on the attack, he has creative players like Cole and Nkunku who are better than anyone in the group Tuchel had. 

The one thing everyone has said about guardiola is that he does not drill attacking patterns. His idea is that he teaches his teams how to set up their attackers such that they enter the final third in an advantageous position. At this point it is up to them. This is why he has only ever worked at clubs with an arsenal of exquisite attackers . He trusts them to make the decisions in the final third themselves and encourages them to just have fun. If maresca is really a discount pep, I am intrigued to see how he handles that. 

6 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

The one thing everyone has said about guardiola is that he does not drill attacking patterns. His idea is that he teaches his teams how to set up their attackers such that they enter the final third in an advantageous position. At this point it is up to them. This is why he has only ever worked at clubs with an arsenal of exquisite attackers . He trusts them to make the decisions in the final third themselves and encourages them to just have fun. If maresca is really a discount pep, I am intrigued to see how he handles that. 

Pep coaches them in zones. Both the treble documentary and the all or nothing documentary even showed him doing it when preparing for matches.

Specific positional patterns of play, maximise space, disorganise the opposition, create numerical advantages and recognising + moving the ball into dangerous attacking areas. 

17 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

Yep - you're right. The patterns are up to the phase before the final part of the attack. But they are intensive and drilled into players till they are muscle memory almost. Few Guardiola players (Bernardo Silva among them) have talked about the repetitive drills. This is also why City keep scoring similar kind of goals - cutbacks from the byline to an attacker. 

Posted (edited)

The pure passing ball system requires players with exceptional ability to take defenses apart on their own.
We had such a player in Eden Hazard and Barcelona in Lionel Messi. Vinicius Junior also is one.
But the likes of Sterling - Mudryk cannot perform to this level. 
So after the opprobrium of passes attack hits a brick wall and nothing happens.
A more intelligent method is needed.

Edited by cosmicway

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Strike said:

I don’t disagree with the concept. Enzo Maresca (never heard of him before) is still a pretty big gamble tho… perhaps bigger than arteta.

I look at the squad and ask a simple question: which players here would fit right in at City or Arsenal? Who would work well in that positional play with high press and possession? Not many.

Edited by robsblubot

1 hour ago, robsblubot said:

I don’t disagree with the concept. Enzo Maresca (never heard of him before) is still a pretty big gamble tho… perhaps bigger than arteta.

I look at the squad and ask a simple question: which players here would fit right in at City or Arsenal? Who would work well in that positional play with high press and possession? Not many.

How many have been coached to do so? Poch wasn't anywhere close to possession play, they just had no idea what to do imo huge difference 

45 minutes ago, YorkshireBlue said:

How many have been coached to do so? Poch wasn't anywhere close to possession play, they just had no idea what to do imo huge difference 

Yeah I don't agree with that. Not all players can be moulded into specific characteristics... much less drastically improve skill on the ball. e.g. Players who have pace and power as their defining characteristics won't turn into KDB via coaching.

City forms very few players; they sign most of their starters based on a specific set of characteristics they look for.

40 minutes ago, robsblubot said:

Yeah I don't agree with that. Not all players can be moulded into specific characteristics... much less drastically improve skill on the ball. e.g. Players who have pace and power as their defining characteristics won't turn into KDB via coaching.

City forms very few players; they sign most of their starters based on a specific set of characteristics they look for.

Looking at this team we have I don't see it being too difficult, we ain't asking for 11 KDB, the coach will drill these patterns of play into them, the only player I could see struggling with this is mudryk. You also don't need specific characteristics for this style of play in every position, you need hard work and to believe in the system, the whole point is to knock the ball around relatively quickly to move the opposition team to create gaps, these gaps don't require a KDB to pass into, don't get me wrong it helps but isn't a must. 

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, YorkshireBlue said:

Looking at this team we have I don't see it being too difficult, we ain't asking for 11 KDB, the coach will drill these patterns of play into them, the only player I could see struggling with this is mudryk. You also don't need specific characteristics for this style of play in every position, you need hard work and to believe in the system, the whole point is to knock the ball around relatively quickly to move the opposition team to create gaps, these gaps don't require a KDB to pass into, don't get me wrong it helps but isn't a must. 

Mudryk struggles in any system at this level. 🙂 

Aside from Enzo, Cole, and James (when he plays), I don't consider the squad particularly skillful tbh. Jackson may have the skill to learn to slow down a bit with the runs tho. While I like Madueke as an option (a bit limiting as a starter), I think he would struggle in that system. Same with Conor... can't imagine City going for him, for ex.

Yes, hard work is how you get there (play like that), but to excel? for that you need quality as in lots of skill on the ball from multiple players. The goal is to make those exchanges very quick, and quickness (not pace but quickness at executing tasks) demands skill. Some players have more than others, which is one of the variables to think about when you are signing players.

I think our players are far more suited for a direct system, but that's me I guess. It could change with some action in the transfer window, so let's see what the club may be thinking. A ball-playing CB for the right side is a must as well as wingers and ST. 

Edited by robsblubot